Confusion about the poison condition

Averlorn

Question

Had a game yesterday and at one moment my Rattler put the Poison +2 condition on his Hanged. 

During the upkeep step I told him that the hanged would get 2 dmage (from the poison +2) and then the poison condition would be lowered by one. 

He, however, told me that the hanged could only get 1 damage and then the poison condition would be lowered by 1. 

We finally played his way (wich also seemed logical to me), but this morning I found an example (p53) stating :

Poison +1: .........this model suffers 1 damage, then lower this models Poison Condition value by 1. 

The rule however states (also p53)......any model with the Poison Condition suffers 1 damage....

I looked up at the FAQ/Errata but couldn't find any reference about this. 

Which one of  the two was correct, and is there anywhere in the book another example/written reference? (I think his interpretation was correct, but not 100% sure)

BTW, lost 3-7, I was too much focused on Killing models and not playing the schemes .Was a fun game however with excellent wine ;) 

4 answers to this question

The reason why you only suffer 1 damage from Poison +5 but you suffer 5 damage from Burning +5 is from the Condition rules:

When two or more Conditions stack, their added values also increase the values of some variables. The variables that are increased are noted with a "+" or "-" designator in the description. All Fate Modifiers also stack. For instance, this ability:

Armor +1: Reduce all damage suffered by this model by +1, to a minimum of 1.

This model reduces all damage it suffers by 1 to a minimum of 1. If it received another instance of Armor +1, it would stack to Armor +2 and reduce all damage it suffers by 2, to a minimum of 1. Note that the "minimum of 1" never changes, as there is no "+" or "-".

The reason why a model suffers damage equal to the value of their Burning condition is that Burning has the + next the 1 point of damage:

Burning +1: At the end of the turn this model suffers +1 damage, then remove this Condition.

so that 1 point of damage is a value that increases each time the condition stacks.  There's no variable in Poisoned because none of the values are specified with + or -:

Poison +1: At the end of the turn this model suffers 1 damage, then lower this model's Poison Condition value by 1.

It goes back to the Armor +1 example--"suffers 1 damage" doesn't have a "+" or "-" so it doesn't change.

Your friend was right, a model suffers 1 damage and lowers the poison condition by 1, regardless of how much poison is stacked on the model - more poison just means his model has to suffer longer :)

Your citation also says: "...suffers 1 damage", the +x part just means that the condition is stackable.

(As always, there are some models which could alter this (the McMourning/Sebastion Duo for example))

Kind regards