Where to stride next...?

Kobayashi

Hello there,

through your gentle advice my Gremlins are (soon to be) bolstered. Currently Brewmaster (with the Dawn Serpent (don't mind it)) is fully painted and Ophelia and her family are currently getting assembled AND painted. In addition I have some Slop Haulers, Merris & Sammy LaCroix (the family has to be united) and Burt [ACTION!] Jebsen incoming (all tied to Sammy so Iget them later that month) . SURE I Need to assemble and paint them first, but my local Henchman is providing me with enough games, so I am all eager to show off my latest achievements.

I also ordered the two Arsenal Boxes and the schemes and strategies deck, so I am covered in that front (even debating for some tokens with the additional poison counter).

Since I'm not only having fun playing Malifaux and the Gremlins, but also paiting them I want to plan ahead and look forward. So what box should be my next target. I might add, that I bid farewell to the idea to focus on one master... but I also want all my models to count (so there is not a LOT of investing and the miniatures pile don't add up to much).

Let me voice that I have been eying some lovely miniatures, for example those (currently unreleased, but spoilered) lovely looking rooster riders. Come on... they look fantastic, but I am open to new discussions.

Though I have heard that the Lucky Effigy and Wong (with the Lightning Bugs) might be a good Investment, but I guess so would be Som'er or Mah.... since I am at a point where I really don't know what to get next, I would love some little help from you...

TL;DR

What crew box and miniatures would be good in augmenting and benefitig the pool of Closing Time Crew Box, The Kin Crew Box, Slop Haulers, Merris LaCroix, Sammy LaCroix, Burt Jebsen

Bonus Points:

In which (probably 10T) Crew Box would make the Dawn Serpent most sense (I know this is Off Topic, so it's just Bonus Points)

As for the dawn serpent. McCabe loves him, he's a minion so he can give it reactivate every turn. The thing becomes pretty much unkillable with its heal each activation. Head and shoulders above anything the other masters can do with him.

In terms of what to go next to augment your current stuff. I'd probably be leaning towards the Mah crew, it has trixibelle in it which is an auto include with brewmaster. Although brewmaster would only really use her from that box, mah is incredibly good with rooster riders so if you're leaning that way later on she'd be the master to go to for them, plus she's really fun. 

The somer box gives you 4 bayous and lenny who is amazing with ophelia (another auto include) and bayous are just great everywhere. 

You could also make a really strong wong crew with the models you have, it'd also give brewmaster mancha who is a solid beater for him and lightning bugs are such versatile models. 

I'd probably steer clear of the lucky effigy at the moment as its so niche that it wont see as much play.

My rating interms of usefulness in the whole faction would be somer>wong>mah. Although a part of me just wants to say mah so brew gets trixie but again thats all she gives him.

Well, let's focus on what starter boxes you currently have and go from there. It'll be the Masters that'll be leading the games, after all.

With Brewmaster in particular, some Performers would be a good call. They can interact with the poison that he puts out much in the same way as McMourning can. Lucky Effigy I wouldn't normally advise, but with the auras and negative flips you can generate in a Brewmaster crew, his knife can be a cheap threat. Gracie may be another option you can consider, as with Saddle she can effectively taxi Brewmaster about the board. People may say the Golem, but other than doling out a little poison, he's no more synergistic with Brewmaster than anyone else. He is however, a great solo piece. Also I'd consider Trixiebelle. Brewmaster has few defences outside of his aura and getting it up early is important.

Ophelia is somewhat more flexible with what she works with. What you'll want to get with her is just general good stuff, to steal a term from MTG. In that light, Bayou Gremlins for cheap scheme runners. Lenny can give Ophelia and a lot of her Kin auto Dumb Luck. Both of these can be found in the Som'er box - perhaps that was why that was suggested as a next purchase, as most of the Gremlin options mesh well together.

Hey thanks so far for the intel, it really helps a great deal!

A little question, if it is not too asking, since I'm realtively new to Malifaux, can you further elaborate (if not already done). Also one discussion I'm having with my current henchman (I like to get intel from different sources :)) is how to break out from the Gremlins -- if I'm feeling it, without a new total buy-in. One thing he reminded me wuold be Zoraida... which Sammy could help out with and who would open the door to Neverborn (which I would go).

If only there would be a Ressurectionist // Gremlin Crew out there...

Follow up...

So Som'er Teeth... if I go that route, would I Need more Bayou Gremlins than coming with the Box... I read I can summon more... also do the Skeeter suffice, they can also summon more... one thing, that is hard for me is effectively judge how much an impact an ability has... so that is why it's hard for me gathering data from PullMyFinger (sometimes the articles are written, like all is gonna happen and are a massive sales pitch (a la this model wins you singlehandedly the game))

As for Mah, she can sacrifice her minions, would that not lead her to have None on the board pretty quick.

Again, this is me struggling making good judgement calls. That is why I'm asking to go a lot deeper... so my understanding of the game grows (naturally I Need to play some games, too ;))

Well THERE's a familiar avatar ;)

Zoraida is a positioning Master. When there isn't much in the way of killing for Schemes or Strats, Zoraida is your go-to in the Gremlin Group. Zoraida also allows you to do some interesting tech outside the normal. Nurse + Lenny for example gives you an enforcer that can soak a ton of damage, then the Nurse heals em with no side-effects.

Somer is the generalist master. He can do all the things okay where the other masters do a couple things great. If you want to make a "Spam" list (IE: piles and piles of models running over everything), you'll want to get another box of Bayou. I rarely go above 8, but 12 is a reasonable number if you REALLY REALLY like piles of squishy models.

You can play Som'er just fine without extra bayou gremlins, but that's not going to be a summoning or spammy list. And you really really don't need to worry about Skeeter summoning - it can only happen if you get a crow and kill a model with a 0/1/2 attack. Very difficult to manage.

And with Mah, I have genuinely never used her sacrifice ability. Generally you want to use it on a cheap bayou gremlin or something to buff up your big guys.

Ah right. I've got you.

The main reason why I think those other starter boxes have been recommended isn't so much for the Masters, but for the rest of the box - at the moment, at least. Lenny and Trixiebelle can only be bought in those boxes (unlike back in my day, where Lenny was a metal blister!). If you are about to buy your first batch of Bayou Gremlins, it is worth considering The Bayou Boss box as it is only a little more.

As for your additional points, I feel eight Bayou Gremlins as a minimum for Som'er would be fine. He does have a varied range of play styles, but summoning is one of them. I'd also think about a Piglet box as he can summon those. Not as often, but it does happen. The two Skeeters in the box will do you fine. Mine do little more than bother people.

Mah can do that, but you won't be doing it often for the very reason you pointed out. 

I also agree that the Som'er box can be played with out supplemental Bayou Gremlin purchase, however it really cuts off one of his strengths. His summoning is a huge benefit as is having a large amount of models to spread his support abilities/ actions to. Generally speaking a single additional Bayou Gremlin box is all that is required, however there are skew lists that can use more than 8.

As for the skeeters, well the two in the box are generally all you will need unless you want to really focus on summoning more, say perhaps for a massed gas attack. Som'er and his Bayou Gremlin's have some neat ways to aid summoning additional Skeeters though it takes work and tends to stall a game. Not the greatest use of available resources (namely AP) in a lot of instances.

15 hours ago, Brewmaster said:

Well THERE's a familiar avatar ;)

Zoraida is a positioning Master. When there isn't much in the way of killing for Schemes or Strats, Zoraida is your go-to in the Gremlin Group. Zoraida also allows you to do some interesting tech outside the normal. Nurse + Lenny for example gives you an enforcer that can soak a ton of damage, then the Nurse heals em with no side-effects.

Somer is the generalist master. He can do all the things okay where the other masters do a couple things great. If you want to make a "Spam" list (IE: piles and piles of models running over everything), you'll want to get another box of Bayou. I rarely go above 8, but 12 is a reasonable number if you REALLY REALLY like piles of squishy models.

Sorry, with the Brewmaster being my first Malifaux box, I had to choose it!

Thanks for the Intel on Zoraida... I must admit I eye her, because I already pre-ordered Sammy, but I guess Zaroida herself brings nothing to my orders...

14 hours ago, Dogmantra said:

You can play Som'er just fine without extra bayou gremlins, but that's not going to be a summoning or spammy list. And you really really don't need to worry about Skeeter summoning - it can only happen if you get a crow and kill a model with a 0/1/2 attack. Very difficult to manage.

And with Mah, I have genuinely never used her sacrifice ability. Generally you want to use it on a cheap bayou gremlin or something to buff up your big guys.

14 hours ago, Dumb Luck said:

Ah right. I've got you.

The main reason why I think those other starter boxes have been recommended isn't so much for the Masters, but for the rest of the box - at the moment, at least. Lenny and Trixiebelle can only be bought in those boxes (unlike back in my day, where Lenny was a metal blister!). If you are about to buy your first batch of Bayou Gremlins, it is worth considering The Bayou Boss box as it is only a little more.

As for your additional points, I feel eight Bayou Gremlins as a minimum for Som'er would be fine. He does have a varied range of play styles, but summoning is one of them. I'd also think about a Piglet box as he can summon those. Not as often, but it does happen. The two Skeeters in the box will do you fine. Mine do little more than bother people.

Mah can do that, but you won't be doing it often for the very reason you pointed out. 

11 hours ago, Omenbringer said:

I also agree that the Som'er box can be played with out supplemental Bayou Gremlin purchase, however it really cuts off one of his strengths. His summoning is a huge benefit as is having a large amount of models to spread his support abilities/ actions to. Generally speaking a single additional Bayou Gremlin box is all that is required, however there are skew lists that can use more than 8.

As for the skeeters, well the two in the box are generally all you will need unless you want to really focus on summoning more, say perhaps for a massed gas attack. Som'er and his Bayou Gremlin's have some neat ways to aid summoning additional Skeeters though it takes work and tends to stall a game. Not the greatest use of available resources (namely AP) in a lot of instances.

Okay, for an organzied answer I lump you together. No disrispect on my side, just it's easier to reply.

So, if I get Som'er for Lenny, it would be best to buy 1-2 additional Bayou Gremlins to boot with it. That leaves me with a junk of models to paint, which I honestly dread.

Mah is nice for Trixie Belle and yes I can't wait to come around and scream DRINKING CONTEST at the top of my lungs, while securing me initative for (almost) every round, just to see my opponent moan.. but than there is me drawing blanks on what to do, besides getting the currently unreleased Rooster Riders[*] down the line...

- -

With Zoraida being more of a new page to open I also have now read further into Wongs box and especally turned my eye on luchador supreme Macha Roja. Here is my thought on the box.

1) Someone already said I have good models for Wong (or will soon have)

2) I consider Macha Roja for the Brewmaster. Here is my *dream* Scenario Brewie says it's time for a drinkin' contest and Maja is forcing the enemy to target him instead -- something like Sammies Horror Duel with Jynx. Just grinding out the enemy hand cards......

... ...

Also thereis the fear, that I get much the same. Zaroida sounds a bit like Brewmaster (but hey, that is my inexperience); Mah sounds like the Melee Version of Ophelia that would leave only Som'er summoning, where I dread the lot of models.

Which leaves me still undecided and somewhat unhappy with my decisions. I'm sorry for being a bit of picky here. I wish I was more excited about the prospect that more stuff is just opening up for me.

[*] and don't get me starting on the stuffed piglets for Sammy q_q

Okay, after a good night's sleep I came up with the following possible buy ins

A] Wong Crew + Gracie (it seems that people say I've got good stuff for Wong)

B] Som'er with 2 packs of Bayou Gremlins (*shudders at the minicount*)

C] Mah Tucket + Rooster Riders (IF they get released)

D] Zoraida ---- ++ ---- Here I would need your help what I need for her box to work, too... and would it be better to play her as Neverborn (for generic Upgrades), or do you think she'll play fine with master / henchmen specific upgrades?

Currently I am Feeling Wong and Zoraida the most, but I can see why Som'er and Mah would be the better choice...

1 hour ago, Tiny said:

I'd just follow where the excitement takes you. Wong would be the call from me as you seem the most excited about him.

Though I must admit I feel guilty, because you ALL are really helping me out... but Gremlin Wizzzzzzards and a Luchador just screams over the top and it is the same feeling I had when ordering the Brewmaster...

You are all too friendly and patient with me ... but I can use the suggestions to my hearts content after I painted up Wong and currently I'm on a roll, already started painting on the Ophelia Crew, which I probably finish before Haulers, Sammy, Merris and Burt come in and I gues I will be fast, with them, too.

So thank you to all - you truly help me out and I REALLY value the input, just me being wyrd... >.>

• Like 1