Molly Crew, what to get, how to make it work.

Marlon_di_Rodean

Good day Resser players, I decided to get a second faction for my malifaux games and I decided to get the Resurrectionists.
 I bought the Molly Starter set a pack of Rotten Belles and the University of Transmortis box and the Rogue Necromancy.

Which other model should i get and how can I make the crew do well in my games ?

Basically, which strategy is best having Molly as a Leader ?

Depends. Are you looking at her as Spirit Molly, or Horror Molly? Both are good, but in my experience she runs better as Spirit, but they all haven't been released in plastic yet.

The first thing you need to get is a Seamus boxed set, or you need to track down someone who will sell you a Madam Sybelle. While she is good for Seamus she is even better for Molly, as Molly is a Belle, and thus gets the movement boost from Sybelle's aura, and Madam Sybelle can port Molly around using her 0 action "Call Belle" ability.

You'll also want Yin. Yin is a Horror, so combos well with Molly, and her 0 action also combos nicely with Madam Sybelle's other 0 action.

You'll want Killjoy, as he is also a Horror, for when you want to run the Killjoy 1st turn hit the enemy anywhere on the board turn 1 trick.

Again, if you are planning to run Horror Molly, you cannot due without Punk Zombies, as they are pretty much THE reason to run her as Horror Molly.

You'll also want Drowned, as they work for both and allow Molly to summon tough brawlers that drop scheme markers when they die.

As for tactics... it depends on the scheme and strategy. Molly doesn't tend to be an auto pilot master, so outside of "Here are some commonly used tactics and tricks" there isn't any advice that can be used to say you play Molly this particular way.

Trick 1: Killjoy Bomb. Move Madam Sybelle up the board, but keep Molly within 12"and LoS. Use Call Belle to place Molly b2b in front of Madam Sybelle. Have Molly walk up twice (don't forget her walk gets boosted from Sybelle's Cathouse Madam ability), use her last action to summon a Necrotic Machine up to 10" away, but critically, more than 3" away from an enemy. The machine dies instantly, allowing Killjoy to pop out. As long as he is still within 10" of Molly, Molly then uses her 0 from her limited upgrade to give Killjoy an action, and if Killjoy is within 6" of Molly she can also accomplice him to go immediately after her action, so no waiting on a first strike. This trick can threaten, pretty much the whole board depending on terrain.

Trick 2: Sybelle Yin combo. Use Yin's 0 action to put an enemy model on - twists to Ca and Wp duels, then follow up with Madam Sybelle's personal attention 0 action. Now anytime the enemy wants to do something to an enemy model they have to pass a wp duel, which they will be on negatives for, or have to target sybelle instead, which if they do, they need to pass a terror check, which they will also be on negatives for as well, so it's almost certainly a lockdown for anyone but a SS user who can spend a stone to offset the negative.

Trick 3: Free Scheme Markers. Summon a Drowned outside of 3" of any enemy. "Free" Scheme marker drops due to finish the job. Well... I say "Free" but it costs an AP, a mid to High crow, or a Mid to High card and a Stone, so it really isn't Free... But it does let you drop scheme markers at range if needed.

Trick 4: Summon a Punk Zombie into a Mess of Enemies. They take a Wp duel due to her summon. Then use Molly's 0 action to have the summoned punk Slice and Dice, for more static duels or take dmg. Then summon another punk and accomplice him to Slice and Dice again.

Trick 4: Zombie bombs. Take the Carrion Emissary with Molly's upgrade. Molly takes Maniacal Laughter. once a good amount of corpses have dropped, raise them all with MwaHaHaHa. If they are within 10" and LoS of the Carrion Emissary, they all become Horrors, which if you are Horror Molly and within 6" and LoS of her, they all now have Black Blood.

I personally think Spirit Molly is vastly stronger, but most of her spirits haven't been released yet. If you go that way you will want the Graveyard Spirit, Izamu (He's critically important), Shikome, The Hanged, Drowned, Night Terrors, Datsue-Ba, Seishin, and Onryo.

Since M2E came out, while I have dabbled in other masters I've played Seamus and Molly almost exclusively, so if you have any specific questions about either I'm happy to offer my personal opinion on them.

I hope some of that helped.

• Like 9

Depends. Are you looking at her as Spirit Molly, or Horror Molly? Both are good, but in my experience she runs better as Spirit, but they all haven't been released in plastic yet.

The first thing you need to get is a Seamus boxed set, or you need to track down someone who will sell you a Madam Sybelle. While she is good for Seamus she is even better for Molly, as Molly is a Belle, and thus gets the movement boost from Sybelle's aura, and Madam Sybelle can port Molly around using her 0 action "Call Belle" ability.

You'll also want Yin. Yin is a Horror, so combos well with Molly, and her 0 action also combos nicely with Madam Sybelle's other 0 action.

You'll want Killjoy, as he is also a Horror, for when you want to run the Killjoy 1st turn hit the enemy anywhere on the board turn 1 trick.

Again, if you are planning to run Horror Molly, you cannot due without Punk Zombies, as they are pretty much THE reason to run her as Horror Molly.

You'll also want Drowned, as they work for both and allow Molly to summon tough brawlers that drop scheme markers when they die.

As for tactics... it depends on the scheme and strategy. Molly doesn't tend to be an auto pilot master, so outside of "Here are some commonly used tactics and tricks" there isn't any advice that can be used to say you play Molly this particular way.

Trick 1: Killjoy Bomb. Move Madam Sybelle up the board, but keep Molly within 12"and LoS. Use Call Belle to place Molly b2b in front of Madam Sybelle. Have Molly walk up twice (don't forget her walk gets boosted from Sybelle's Cathouse Madam ability), use her last action to summon a Necrotic Machine up to 10" away, but critically, more than 3" away from an enemy. The machine dies instantly, allowing Killjoy to pop out. As long as he is still within 10" of Molly, Molly then uses her 0 from her limited upgrade to give Killjoy an action, and if Killjoy is within 6" of Molly she can also accomplice him to go immediately after her action, so no waiting on a first strike. This trick can threaten, pretty much the whole board depending on terrain.

Trick 2: Sybelle Yin combo. Use Yin's 0 action to put an enemy model on - twists to Ca and Wp duels, then follow up with Madam Sybelle's personal attention 0 action. Now anytime the enemy wants to do something to an enemy model they have to pass a wp duel, which they will be on negatives for, or have to target sybelle instead, which if they do, they need to pass a terror check, which they will also be on negatives for as well, so it's almost certainly a lockdown for anyone but a SS user who can spend a stone to offset the negative.

Trick 3: Free Scheme Markers. Summon a Drowned outside of 3" of any enemy. "Free" Scheme marker drops due to finish the job. Well... I say "Free" but it costs an AP, a mid to High crow, or a Mid to High card and a Stone, so it really isn't Free... But it does let you drop scheme markers at range if needed.

Trick 4: Summon a Punk Zombie into a Mess of Enemies. They take a Wp duel due to her summon. Then use Molly's 0 action to have the summoned punk Slice and Dice, for more static duels or take dmg. Then summon another punk and accomplice him to Slice and Dice again.

Trick 4: Zombie bombs. Take the Carrion Emissary with Molly's upgrade. Molly takes Maniacal Laughter. once a good amount of corpses have dropped, raise them all with MwaHaHaHa. If they are within 10" and LoS of the Carrion Emissary, they all become Horrors, which if you are Horror Molly and within 6" and LoS of her, they all now have Black Blood.

I personally think Spirit Molly is vastly stronger, but most of her spirits haven't been released yet. If you go that way you will want the Graveyard Spirit, Izamu (He's critically important), Shikome, The Hanged, Drowned, Night Terrors, Datsue-Ba, Seishin, and Onryo.

Since M2E came out, while I have dabbled in other masters I've played Seamus and Molly almost exclusively, so if you have any specific questions about either I'm happy to offer my personal opinion on them.

I hope some of that helped.

I havent tried the Mindless Zombie spam yet with Horror Molly. What is the third upgrade you take? Tear? so you can 0 for Maniacal, and 0 for a Reactivate/1AP action for a horror? Or spare parts? I've been liking Spare Parts as it gives you a thing to do when you cant summon a punk within 3" of two or more enemies. My biggest beef with Wave 3 was that we really didnt see an improvement to the summoning lists to give us something less linear to do with our cards. It's either Drowned, Punks, maybe a student, maybe a belle. 

Also when you hire the Emissary, do you drop Killjoy or Yin? Just wondering how you make up the points :) 

Edited by gromgrom

The other fun model with Molly is Bete Noir. Molly can bring her out anywhere she can bring Killjoy out (see above), but Bete comes with her own box of tricks and is cheaper than Killjoy. Fun for interacts or Stake a Claim. Once you're done with her over there, kill her and bring her out over here :)

I don't really like Bete with Molly. Molly's hand is too volatile and Molly uses cards like water to a thirst mad sailor. Hanging on to the 10+ to make Bete come back isn't generally worth it to me. I tend to find if you value Bete's cost as it is if she never comes back even once, then you can regard her as a good investment with Molly. I don't thinks she's that good personally. I love bete with Tara, but in the dressers... that's about it for me personally.

I find that Molly really likes to be in the thick of things, so when I play her I take my preferred summoning upgrade (I like Forgotten Life, for the more independent summons) and stick Necrotic Preparation and Unnerving Aura on her. I found that my opponents really hated taking more damage then they where inflicting on her. Especially when you take overlapping Unnerving Aura models.

I havent tried the Mindless Zombie spam yet with Horror Molly. What is the third upgrade you take? Tear? so you can 0 for Maniacal, and 0 for a Reactivate/1AP action for a horror? Or spare parts? I've been liking Spare Parts as it gives you a thing to do when you cant summon a punk within 3" of two or more enemies. My biggest beef with Wave 3 was that we really didnt see an improvement to the summoning lists to give us something less linear to do with our cards. It's either Drowned, Punks, maybe a student, maybe a belle. 

Also when you hire the Emissary, do you drop Killjoy or Yin? Just wondering how you make up the points :) 

The first fight I had with Molly it was Vs Misaki Ten Thunders, the other player was so enraged after seeing his misaki die by the paws of the Rogue Necromancy with Necrotic Preparations dealing damage to her and finishing her with an attack generated by Smell Fear (a failed charge by a Torakage) and Molly going around with 5 Actions (3 + the 0 one and the other 0 from Tear of the Gorgon) doing stuff, and the Crooligans taking markers. :P