katanaka sniper

katanaka sniper

peasant

high river monk

i prefer more soulstone on shenlong, but have not points to add it

any suggestion for upgrade this list?

thanks a lot

• Like 1

As someone mentioned in another thread, you could leave the Low River Style off Yu, and start it on Shenlong.  Then turn 1 attach wandering river to Shenlong moving Low river to Yu.  It would lose you a 0 action from Shenlong on turn 1, but save you 2 SS. 

Other than that I really like it.  Very simliar to how I play him except I usually switch out the high river monk and a second sniper for a samurai and a TT brother.  

Finding the points for at least 1 TT brother is really good in the crew as it almost assures Line in the Sand.

As someone mentioned in another thread, you could leave the Low River Style off Yu, and start it on Shenlong.  Then turn 1 attach wandering river to Shenlong moving Low river to Yu.  It would lose you a 0 action from Shenlong on turn 1, but save you 2 SS. 

Other than that I really like it.  Very simliar to how I play him except I usually switch out the high river monk and a second sniper for a samurai and a TT brother.  

Finding the points for at least 1 TT brother is really good in the crew as it almost assures Line in the Sand.

That was something I probably shared at one point...  Yes, the only person you need a Limited Upgrade on to start is Shenlong.  In your given case, you can add those 2 ss to your pool.

I've yet to try "Words on the River", but I find that it competes too much with the other more useful (0) actions he has.  But if you do manage to get some success from it though, please share your experiences with it.

I find that Shenlong needs soulstones less than most Masters I've used. They are helpful for adding the :crow to Toshiro's summoning if you take him, but Shen and Yu don't generally need them. They both have all their suits built in on all their actions, and because they usually only need a 6 to hit the target number on their best actions, stoning for cards is slightly less valuable than it is with some other crews. Also, because Low River Style is so insanely good at healing, using stones to prevent damage is not as important as it might be in a Misaki crew, for example.

All of that is to say that, personally, I'd make a couple cuts (Low River from Yu being the the easiest) and try to fit in a 10 Thunders Brother and take as small a cache as possible. In general, I find that Shenlong prefers to have more bodies on hand rather than more stones.

If you're up to proxying, I'd recommend removing Lone Swordsman and taking one of the 2ss you could save from removing Low River Style from Sensei Yu (since you will get it anyway from Shenlong) to get Shadow Emissary. Combine the Emissary's aura that gives blasts to attacks that benefit from focus with the usual Shenlong Sniper Squad tactic and things can get pretty insane. 

I also like to cram a Shadow Effigy and a Brother in there. Spend the first turn walking forward with both of them, and use Eagle Style to place the Brother on the centerline, preferably near the edge of the board. On the second turn, have the Effigy use Remember the Mission on the Brother. Then activate the Brother, place a scheme marker on one side of the Brother right by the edge of the board. Use eagle style to place the brother in the opposite direction. Since you only need to have part of the base within 3" from your starting position, and a 30mm base is slightly bigger than 1", the place and the size of your base is enough to put 4" between the far edge of your base and the scheme marker. Thus, you can use your second AP to place another scheme marker. Then Remember the Mission triggers, letting you place another scheme marker right behind you. Lastly, on round 3 you can walk once and place your last scheme marker for Line in the Sand. This way you can complete Line in the Sand by the start of round 3 with an investment of only 9ss. All four scheme markers will be fairly close together, so you only need to protect about 12" of the centerline to keep your markers, and by placing the Brother in defensive stance in the middle of your LitS, it will be quite difficult to remove them. Of course, this tactic isn't limited to Shenlong, so you can do it in any TT crew if you want to take Line in the Sand.

• Like 1

Your list is actually VERY similar to my first Shenlong list:

Shenlong - Low River Style

Sensei Yu - Promising Desciple

Lone Swordsman - Recalled Training

Monk of the High River

Monk of the High River

Katanaka Sniper

Katanaka Sniper

Peasant

It wound up working quite well against several different opponents. Dawn Serpent is also very fun with Shenlong if you can squeeze him into future lists.

I'll be honest. I've been finding a lot of success with out Yu. 

I've been running Shenlong with Wandering River and On Wings of Wind, Toshiro with Smoke Grenades and Command the Graves, a Peasant, two Illuminated, a Katanaka Sniper, Obsidion Oni, and Shadow Effigy.

Toshiro can kill a Peasant a turn and summon an Ashigaru and use the scheme marker created at the beginning of the turn by the peasant to hand out tons of focus.

• 2 weeks later...

Out of curiosity, why would you replace the Lone Swordsman in this particular crew?  As it is, he's got the best damage spread on your list already.  The Dawn Serpent, while tough in it's own way, can't do nearly as much damage as the Lone Swordsman can.

As for who I would play the Dawn Serpent with, I like it with Mei Feng.  Shooting with an auto suit for Burning helps her out a lot when she's about to Charge into combat.

Dawn Serpent is a very strong model, though possibly less impressive in a list that already has a pair of snipers. Still, it has a lot of wounds, it can heal itself to full most turns, and it is very fast. That makes it well suited to tangle with tough enemy models and still be around at the end of the game to score schemes and strats on turns 4 and 5. So, it is not a 1 for 1 swap with the Lone Swordsman; they fulfill very different roles. Do you want a hard hitting executioner to chop the head off some big enemy, or do you want a model that can shoot, can fight in melee, and can stick around the whole game to help at the end? (To be clear, the Lone Swordsman will rarely rarely be alive still on turn 5).

I've enjoyed using the Dawn Serpent with Misaki and Mei Fang.  It doesn't really synergize with misaki other than having a good movement stat and flight, which will help to keep up with her, but it is still pretty fun to use.  I haven't tried it with Shenlong yet, but I see the Jorogumo fitting better with Shenlong since pushes can help to keep pace with the rest of the crew.