Campaign starting arsenal thoughts

entropolous

How foolish am I for considering starting out a campaign with the following arsenal:

The League of Extraordinary Henchmen

Joss

The Captain

Baritone Lola (Cassandra)

The Firestarter

From a pure mechanics point of view you are going to get a 5ss discount on one model purchase each week so if you want 3-4ss models it would be somewhat advisable to start with them in the crew and buy the last henchman at the start of week 2 since you are wasting soulstones if you do it the other way around.

I could see a couple of strategies or scheme setups were so few models will come back to hurt you even if they are very capable models. Consider for example if make them suffer is in the pool: automatic 3vp to the enemy. Frame for murder could also be hard for you to prevent, especially with the firestarter in the crew (unless you have a very interesting plan of not killing a single enemy model and the enemy doesn't have a way to put burning on their own models). 

Could work. Make them suffer is an obvious downfall but you can get around frame for murder just from letting burning take the last wound off a model and not claiming it with firestarter. Having said that I'd probably save a couple of scrip for week one so that you can afford a bounty after your first game, it will also leave you with the ability to take soulstones if you play a 35ss game.

I'd suggest leaving out joss or the captain and maybe adding a December acolyte. Leaves you with 3 scrip you can either use for an upgrade(imbued energies/arcane reservoir/patrons blessing) or to hold onto for week 1. This would also give you a minion, auto slow is horrible in small model count games, also gives the opponent a headache as the built in discard trigger means they may end up losing a good card if the only low one they have is for a finished off flip.

I tried a few different approaches before deciding to go with my starting arsenal.

Ended up taking, The Captain/patrons blessing, Gunsmith, Willie, Johanna. Won 3 drawn 1 so far, captain has df7 and +flips to melee attacks, Johanna ignores armour and incorporeal and the gunsmith has rapid fire. First new hire was firestarter who now has +1ca and will be getting Howard Langston at the start of week 3, completing the bounty gave me the upgrade to summon an arcane effigy once per game.

Another useful one was a December crew with snowstorm 2xacolytes and an ice gamin plus arcane reservoir the +1dmg aura of the gamin makes a big difference as you can keep your whole crew within it with ease.

Could work. Make them suffer is an obvious downfall but you can get around frame for murder just from letting burning take the last wound off a model and not claiming it with firestarter. Having said that I'd probably save a couple of scrip for week one so that you can afford a bounty after your first game, it will also leave you with the ability to take soulstones if you play a 35ss game.

Oh, I may be off here, haven't read the firestarter's rules in a while. I was fairly certain there wasn't any "may" in the firestarters ability, I thought you always counted as making the kill.

Oh, I may be off here, haven't read the firestarter's rules in a while. I was fairly certain there wasn't any "may" in the firestarters ability, I thought you always counted as making the kill.

My bad, you are correct. Easy enough to put the burning on from range though especially if he keeps the captain in.

My bad, you are correct. Easy enough to put the burning on from range though especially if he keeps the captain in.

Yes but if you are out-activated the enemy could lure the firestarter closer, move their own model closer or apply burning themselves (the last is not super likely but hey). It could also be very damaging to your strategy to need to keep the firestarter back when you only have 4 models.

All that being said - I'm sure the list could work and that in a lot of games the last part wouldn't come up. I just thought I'd point it out since I believe the list has some drawbacks.

Any list with any form of obey or push type action could easily walk or push the sucker into the aura or mess about with the firestarter. If this list had strong activation control it wouldn't be as likely but this list doesn't have that. More activations from the start was another one of my suggestions for changes that would be good in several ways.

Obeys and pushes shouldn't be that corner case since they are powerful abilities that most players could reasonably be expected to bring, especially at low points were out-positioning a single model can win you the game. I think it would be wise to have a plan for countering such actions and would advise players building campaign crews to consider them.