Unboxing Malifaux - Colette's 'Smoke and Mirrors' Starter Set

GMort

I vastly prefer the new plastics to the metal models, especially Cassandra. The old Colette, it has to be said, was very nice too but the new one is just classier. I think the old one looked too much like a burlesque dancer and not like a suave illusionist.

Like GMort said, one of the plastic fingers on one of the mannequins is separate (the other has all three attached, it's a rather odd decision) and I pretty much lost the finger before I even took the crew out of the box. 

The models also have some rather awkward to fill gaps (I was really wishing for liquid green stuff) which was disappointing as on a few models I've assembled recently the gaps were cleverly hidden by folds in the dress and so on. 

Overall though, one of the best plastic crews I've assembled and by far the most fun I've had painting anything in a long time. Being able to go nuts with the colours on the dresses is a nice change from the usual leather and red cloth of the M&SU stuff. 

Edited by Sordid Strumpet
  • Like 1

I think the old one looked too much like a burlesque dancer and not like a suave illusionist.

And that's why i love the old one. Burlesque dancer is the reason why i started my Malifaux adventure. If not for that style it would be " meh, another steampunk suave illusionist" :)

Performers looks really nice. I do not understand mannequin's fingers, should full be of pins, not blades (bloody nitpicker). Hair/feather details looks scary both to assemble and paint. And it seems that there will be some greenstuffing to do: a cigarette...

I think the old one looked too much like a burlesque dancer and not like a suave illusionist.

And that's why i love the old one. Burlesque dancer is the reason why i started my Malifaux adventure. If not for that style it would be " meh, another steampunk suave illusionist" :)

Good thing then that there are lots of options ;) that way we can both have what we want.

I found the blade fingers mysteriously stuck in one of my Mechanical Doves, so I may try to actually glue them on. It does look a bit odd only having two fingers on the Mannequin :P

• 4 months later...
On 2016. 02. 20. at 2:21 PM, JB11 said:

Of course while assembling, I dropped this.  I fear it's now going to bounce around our floor for the rest of time.

Take the vacuum cleaner and apply socks or maybe pantyhose on the mouth of the wand. Then you can go through the floor and check if the cleaner collects the missing bits. This works for me, probably will work for you too.