Horror check out of turn

Dassenkop

I'm just wondering how this works.

If for some reason a model was subjected to a Horror Duel and made the check successfully before it activated, what happens if that model would end its walk action within the engagement range of (or target) the same model when this model also has the Terrifying ability?

In my case the Widow Weaver has the Exhale Terror attack action which lets the targeted model take a TN12 horror duel if the attack causes damage. It did and after the Weaver ended her activation the target, which took the horror duel from the Weaver earlier, walked towards and stopped within the engagement range of the Widow Weaver. Since the Widow Weaver has the Terrifying ability would the model taking the walk action again check the horror duel to see if it makes its?

I can see both sides of the argument so I wondered if -

a. The target would have to make a horror duel each time the Widow Weaver makes a succesfull Exhale Terror attack against the target and ... The target would have to make a horror duel once due to Terrifying ability on the Weaver.

b. On the other side the small booklet mentions that 'Additionally, the model is considered immune to Horror Duel fom the model that generated the Horror Duel until the End Phase of the Turn'. So if the first horror duel, the attack from the Widow Weaver, is succesfull you don't take it again against the same model for whatever reason so you are free to end a walk action within the melee range of the Widow Weaver.

Wondering how other people would play this.

If for some reason a model was subjected to a Horror Duel and made the check successfully before it activated, what happens if that model would end its walk action within the engagement range of (or target) the same model when this model also has the Terrifying ability?

In my case the Widow Weaver has the Exhale Terror attack action which lets the targeted model take a TN12 horror duel if the attack causes damage. It did and after the Weaver ended her activation the target, which took the horror duel from the Weaver earlier, walked towards and stopped within the engagement range of the Widow Weaver. Since the Widow Weaver has the Terrifying ability would the model taking the walk action again check the horror duel to see if it makes its?

a. The target would have to make a horror duel each time the Widow Weaver makes a succesfull Exhale Terror attack against the target and ... The target would have to make a horror duel once due to Terrifying ability on the Weaver.

b. On the other side the small booklet mentions that 'Additionally, the model is considered immune to Horror Duel fom the model that generated the Horror Duel until the End Phase of the Turn'. So if the first horror duel, the attack from the Widow Weaver, is succesfull you don't take it again against the same model for whatever reason so you are free to end a walk action within the melee range of the Widow Weaver.

b. Widow Weaver is the model forcing the Horror Duel with Exhale Terror. After the target takes the first one it is immune to Horror Duels generated by WW, including for Terrifying, for the rest of the turn. 

b. Widow Weaver is the model forcing the Horror Duel with Exhale Terror. After the target takes the first one it is immune to Horror Duels generated by WW, including for Terrifying, for the rest of the turn. 

I had not considered that, but if true, that greatly weakens the power of models that can force terrifying checks.

Note: The rule in the rulebook specifically refers to Terrifying. 

"A model that passes a Horror Duel may continue to act normally. Additionally, the
model is considered immune to Horror Duels from the model that generated the
Horror Duel until the End Phase of the Turn. A model, therefore, does not have
to pass multiple Horror Duels caused by one model’s Terrifying Ability, but it
might have to test against a different model’s Terrifying Ability in the same Turn."

The Widow Weaver's attack has nothing to do with Terrifying, it's the attack action that forces a Horror Duel. This might be a question for the rules forum. I think the immunity is intended for Terrifying, not all Horror Duels, but RAW might imply differently.

The use of Terrifying here is because that is the most common way to cause a Horror Duel, and in most cases thr only way a model will encounter the chance to take multiple horror duels. This is just one of the things to keep in mind when choosing who to target with Exhale Terror.If you don't have your web markers up then it's probably better to prioritize models that have already activated. 

This is also why Pandora has a specific upgrade to help with this. Her upgrade "The Box Opens" (2ss upgrade) has a trigger called Obscene Knowledge requiring a :mask:tome. The targets would gain a condition making it lose all Immunities to Horror duels (and paralyze). With WW it is an auto take for this very reason in Pandora crews.

You know I take box opens every game and I don't think I've ever used the attack on it..

I take it mostly because its a beautiful Ca vs. Df, so things like Dreamer die fairly easily against it (as long as you remove other things around him). :)

Regardless a Ca vs. Df is nice for Incorporeal models with low Df. Plus Pandy doesn't have any other way to target Df models, so if she goes up against things with high Wp but low Df it gives her options. Its not often used but I'll tell ya its nice to have in the tool box in those tough matchups for her.