Samurai scaling huge

mark.long

Just assembled the 3 Ten Thunders Samurai models and the crouching Samurai is probably 50% larger than he should be! A strange thing that I have noticed across a broad range of model producers from GW with their Merry and Pippin who were too big even if they had consumed the Fangorn water to Confrontation models and a 2000AD model I bought for the Strontium Dog range. I guess it must be some strange anomaly that occurs when scaling crouching figures. This Samurai would be about 8 feet tall! Not bad for a Japanese warrior I guess?;)

This model, along with more than a few others, have often been complained about. The scaling consistency has gotten better with the newer releases, however many of the early to mid crew boxes contain at least one model that is noticeably out of scale with the rest of their box. Yes it is usually one that is either crouched or bending in some way. For a while it was a bit of a running joke. I think the official company line is still that these were intentional, and representative of the variances in human heights. Unofficially I think it was more attributable to the learning curves of digital sculpting over the older green stuff method, and also likely the company chosen to outsource production to.

For the most part though it wont be super noticeable as typically you dont utilize all of the Samurai's at one time.

• 2 weeks later...

you dont utilize all of the Samurai's at one time.

Challenge accepted.

Let us know how it goes! In pickup games I like Jigoku, but in a campaign I went Earth for the flexibility. I really need to get Heaven out on the table!

I don't see why you would not want to use three.  For 24ss, I'd gladly reenact a scene from Sucker Punch, I might need to be playing against Viks though.  All things considered, they might do well against Viks..

• Like 1