Penny Dreadful into Malifaux

Kofibrake

Ethan Chandler: Enforcer Living Coterie

DF: 6 WP: 5 WND: 8 WK: 5 CG: 6 HT: 2

Companion: After a friendly model ends it's Activation within 6" this model may Activate as a Chain Activation

Hard to Kill: While this model has 2 or more WD remaining when it suffers damage, it may only be reduced to 1Wd by a single damage source.

Attack Actions:

(1) Paired .44 colts. (SH: 6 Rst: DF Range 12 :ranged or 2 :melee) Target suffers 3/4/5 damage.

This action gains :+fate to the attack flip.

:mask: Light them up : After Damaging, immediately perform a Paired .44 colts Attack against the same target. This attack cannot declare this trigger again.

:ram: Critical Strike: When damaging the target, this attack deals +1 damage for each :ram in the final duel total.

:tome: Deal with me: After succeeding a friendly Vanessa Ives within LoS gains the following until the end of the turn: "Harmless" This model does not count as having activated for the purposes of the Manipulative ability.

Tactical Actions:

(0) Cover us!: Push this model up to 5" towards a friendly Coterie model.

Then they need to be balanced.

Ethan is based of a cross between Santiago and Mr Graves, and his damage track is probably 1/1/1 too high to be honest given the critical trigger and the :+fate flip to attack.

I don't mind criticism :)

What about Ms Ives was OOT?

Ethan is good, but what is his cost?

I would recomend that the 0.44 colts all have the same damage profile across all models. But if it is a high profile then its obviously a lot more "costly".

The model he reminds me of most is the Convict Gunslinger. And whilst I think he is better, I don't know that its that much better. (But thats without referencing the Convicts card)

(and again, beware of spoilers, dearest folk!)

I feel that due to the contents of the show, the master will always be Lord Malcolm Murray. He is the Hunter, the Man and the big Kahuna, anyway you cut it.

it's not that the way Ives is coming along that is wrong, but the spotlight will always be for Malcolm, the father figure.

Dont worry, I am sure this will make more sense as you delve deeper into the show.

I know that I am possibly being a bit vague on the direction I would lead the crew towards, but sitting down and watching the show just gives me this one and not one where Malcolm would step back to a secondary role. He is the Ziggy Stardust of the Spiders, the Cobain of Nirvana, the Moses of Exodus.

Unlike Kadeton, whose feedback is priceless on the fine tuning of the material at hand, I am not seeing things solely on "rules and balances" because of different mindsets.

The characters would benefit from a specific Synergy between Malcolm and Ives and then between Ives and Chandler (this is because they are connected thusly in the source materiel).

as for others, I see Sembene as a new and improved Sidir Archibald, whilst Dr Frankenstein could be a conduict for a recruitment option rather than just another hand in the pie. Plus he would allow for the inclusion of a particular set of flesh constructs.

Dont forget that idea I threw in the hat about Vanessa's Verbis Diablo. it reaches far and wide into who and what she is!

Dr Victor Frankenstein. Living, Enforcer, Coterie

DF: 5 WP: 5 WND: 7 WK: 5 CG: 5 HT 2

Companion: After a Friendly model ends it's activation within 6" of this model, this model may activate as a chain activation.

Manipulative 12: If this model has not yet activated this turn, when an enemy model targets this model with an attack action, the enemy model must pass a TN 12 WP duel or the action immediately fails.

Previous Work: Crews that hire this model may hire up to 4 flesh constructs that are not of the crews declared faction.

Attack Actions:

(1) Scalpel: ML: 5 RST: DF Rng 1" Target suffers 1/2/3 damage

Tactical Actions:

(1) Field Triage (CA: 6 TN: 13 Rng: 8" )

Target model heals 1/2/3 damage

(1) The Right Pill: (CA 6: TN: 13 Rng: 10")

Remove one condition from target model

• Like 1

Dorian Grey. Living, Enforcer, Coterie

DF: 4 WP: 5 WND: 4 WK: 6 CG: - HT: 2

Manipulative 14: If this model has not yet activated this turn, when an enemy model targets this model with an attack action, the enemy model must pass a TN 14 WP duel or the action immediately fails.

The Portrait: At the beginning of the game, when placing this model place a 30mm portrait counter in base to base with this model. If this model is killed or buried, at the end of the turn place this model in base to base contact with the portrait counter. Enemy models within 1" of the portrait counter may take a (1) interact action to remove the portrait counter from the game. If there is no portrait counter in play, immediately sacrifice Dorian Grey.

Attack actions:

Slap: (ML: 4 Rst: Def Rng: 1" ) Target suffers 1/2/3 damage.

Tactical Actions

Lure: (CA: 8 :mask TN: 14 :mask Rst: WP Rng: 18")

Move target model  it's Wk. the target must end the move as close to this model as possible.

:mask:tome Alluring: Take this action again, This action may not target the same model as a result of this trigger.

:mask:ram Stunning: Target model gains the slow condition.

Great job on Frankenstein, Carcosa. The Field triage action made me smile: you didnt miss the opportunity to add a healling buff to the crew, something that was lacking this far.

I am not sure I would count Dorian in the members of the Coterie, though. He seems to be more of an antagonist than part of the crew. Plus, his quasi-demonic entity in the painting may be better suited to make him part of the Neverborn. I like his stats. They place him in a similar line as Vanessa, throwing that Maipulative around.

Perhaps he would make a sound entry to a crew that would be the rivals of Malcolm's coterie. His turn in the story reminds me somewhat of the story for Jacob Lynch: he is using something very dark and powerful, but whereas Jacob came accross it by force of necessity, Dorian embraces it completely and wallows in the power and immortality afforded by the painting.

Again, my assertion is based purely on the feel of the show. I do emphasize the feel of the show, because if we start going separate ways from the story, it ends up becoming something else.

Just my two cents.

Anyway, do continue. You are good at this! :D

Sembene Living Enforcer Coterie

DF: 6 WP: 6 WND: 8 WK: 5 CG: 8 HT: 2

Laugh off: This model may not be moved or pushed by enemy models' abilities or actions.

Ruthless: This Model is Immune to WP duels during it's activation

Companion: After a friendly model ends it's activation within 6" of this model, this model may activate as a chain activation

Attack actions:

(1) Kukri (ML: 7 Rst: DF Rg: 1 :melee): Target suffers 3/4/6 damage

:crow: Razor Sharp: This strike ignores armour and hard to kill.

:mask: Blessed Blade: This strike ignores incorporeal

:ram: Critical hit: when damaging the target, this attack deals +1 damage for each :ram in the final duel total.

Tactical Actions

(0) Manservant: Push this model 5" towards a friendly Coterie model in play.

• Like 1

Whew, all done, time to look at some points costs.

Point Costs:

Malcolm Murray: Master, 0 cost Cache of 2 stones

Why: While Murray can be a support master, there is no denying he can lay down some serious damage at range, so I did not feel he should have a large cache. Looking around at existing masters, the closest fit seemed to be perdita, so 2 sounded reasonable to me.

Vanessa Ives: Henchman, 10SS, Cache of 3 SS

Why: I am actually concerned about 10 actually being too low to be honest, given her range of abilities. If she had more actual damage, rather than control and tricks I would be certain of it. 10 feels about right though.

Suffering: Totem, 0 cost

Why: It's a strong model, but only summonable and gives a drawback on it's death to the crew if they are within range. I am not sure if the downside should be so severe, but that is a decision motivated by the source material. I am open to suggestions that they should be hireable off the bat, and a SS cost however.

Ethan Chandler: Enforcer, 8 SS

Why: He is based of a fusion of Santiago and Mr Graves. Stat wise they are similar, he has less wounds than either graves or Santiago, but slightly better raw stats. He also lacks the extra "native" abilities of both. What he loses there however I think it makes up for in his triggers on his guns, and the fact he can use them at range, and in melee.

Victor Frankenstein: Enforcer, 7 SS

Why: Originally I wanted him to cost 6, but I could not justify his "front card" abilities, along with his tactical actions in a 6 SS model. I wonder however if he needs a tiny boost to push him up to 7 however, a "flurry" ability for his casting actions perhaps?

Dorian Grey: Enforcer 6 SS

Why: he's basically a Belle, but with less melee damage, less wounds and no pounce. The recursion factor and the triggers make him feel like he should cost more however. I could be convinced he should be cheaper however as he is also unique.

Sembene: Enforcer: 8 SS

Why: His stat line is ok for 8SS, but it was his native card abilities, attack triggers and damage track that made me think he was just too good for 7 which is what I was aiming for.

That gives the crew with it's "core components" a cost of 39 stones, which is a little more than say the Ortega's cost for the same amount of models, but I think given the broad flexibility of the crew (heal, lure, condition removal, Anti-armour, AP control and movement tricks) that is ok.

Comments on those SS costs would be appreciated  :)

I feel the cost in SS is about right.

Maybe Vanessa should be 12 rather than 10, but I am not one to split hairs. I can see her going toe to toe with the Valedictorian, and that's 12 SS.

The totems should be hireable from the start. They represent his past regrets, so they would be a constant presence in Malcolm's life rather than something he can opt on.

again, for the reasons stated elsewhere, I would have Dorian replaced, possibly with Mr Lyle. Lyle does go out monster hunting with the Coterie, unlike Dorian, but this is a matter of preference; and as you are having all the work, your feedback on him is also valued.

Frankenstein maybe be better off with a :+fate to a specific CA rather than that "flurry"

Sembene is so good that way, I dont see anything to contest the SS cost.

Hmmm

OK\

Vanessa:

The Veledictorian is only 10 SS, and I think it would tear Vanessa a new one to be perfectly honest, at least in melee. Yes, the manip would defend Vanessa to a degree, but if she does not have that, she really is vunerable to attacks as it is her only real defence. The tac actions of Vanessa -are- superior however. I think you could convince me to make her 11, but not 12.

The Totems:

I can see that being in the fluff they might be hireable, so sure. What SS cost would you think? As models I would have to be looking at 4-5 SS each for them, or downgrading their abilities, or even removing the ability to summon them at all.

Dorian:

I think I am leaning to agree with you here, at least getting rid of the Coterie designation on him as neither Malcolm, nor Vanessa seem to have a hold on him enough to trigger companion, or obey style actions. Mr Lyle is more a research tool, so if we removed the summon on the suffering and shifted them to R2 minions, I could see -him- being the totem to a degree.

MOAR STATS TO WORK ON :(

:D :D :D

Victor:

Which one would you give him the :+fate to? I assume Field triage as it adds the heal component to the crew, but I am not sure if that is shown enough in the show to be warranted. He -does- work well under pressure however.

I like Sembene too, but he is very vanilla. :P

i see that my response must have been removed in some way as i have posted a reply several days ago.

lets see if i still remember what i posted

the totems would be left at 0ss. they are part of him, can cause both buff and cuddle (in case being of killed). I was thinking about the hollow waifs and how they are both the key to Leveticus' ressurection and his death.

to Victor, the bonus I was thinking about was to his  :melee as he carries a bag of surgical utensils. I figure the Doc can cut the right place to cause extra damage, laceration galore!

as for the Valedictorian's points, yes. I stand corrected. My point that Vanessa is toe to toe with her is that the synergies she can pull out with Chandler could make her into a bit better than she is on her own.

For Sembene, the stats are so good, they actually connect to the character on the show.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...