Suits for Aspects

CalicoJack1966

Hi all!

Another question:

Page 63, Step 14 of Fated Creation talks about what the suits relate to, but it's kind of vague and doesn't list off the Aspects each suit relates to.

As I'm about to build my Twist Deck (and since I took the Specialized Skill Talent) I want to make sure the cards I select best match up to the Aspects and - by extension - the skills I have chosen.

Is there a more precise correlation between Suits and Aspects?

Thanks!

Suits mostly matter for fulfilling TN for spells and qualifying for triggers, so related aspects doesn't actually do much.

For example:  many spells have a TN which includes a :tome, so if you have Specialized [sorcery] :tome, you'll be able to cast half of the Sorcery spells without worrying about drawing the correct suit from your Fate Deck (or cheating in the right suit from your Twist Hand).

Other example:  eventually taking the Critical talent [weapon of choice] which offers the related skill a trigger to increase damage for each :ram in the duel.  So if you take Critical [shotgun] and Specialized [shotgun] :ram, you are guaranteed at least one damage buff (and if you happen to draw a :ram from the deck, you get a second buff).

Unfortunately this means if you take Specialized at character creation, you'll have to look ahead to what General Talents you want later, and what Pursuit Talents you'll eventually get.

Ah ha!

So, what you're telling me is that in any given Duel when I need to hit a TN all I'm looking at on any card I pull from the Fate Deck (or my Twist Deck) is the numeric value of the card (1-13) to see if I beat the bTN. The suit of the card only comes into play if there is an assciated trigger (such as in the case of a Specialized Skill Talent where I chose a suit to act as a trigger).

Am I understanding that right?

So, why would I want to add a trigger to a skill? In this case I went with Specialized Skill: Gambling and lets say I added :tome as the suit; what good does that gain me?

Certain talents require a suit to trigger. As mentioned, Critical (weapon) lets you boost it up on Rams.

Gambling, as it stands, has no talents with a trigger, so taking the talent to give Gamblinga s uit doesn't do anything as it stands.

HOWEVER.

You might develop some kind of ... shoot. I'm gonna blank on the term. The spell that you can cast innately instead of using a grimoire, so you can have people with flaming bullets or whatever. So, you might develop one of those, based on Gambling, with a trigger. For instance, let's say you have a Wastrel and you want some kind of hand-reading spell. You could take the Divination spell, have it work only on objects (Cards, in this case), base the 'spell' on Gambling, and have it trigger if you get a Masks on your gambling skill. You then take the Skill Specialization: Gambling to always trigger a Masks. Suddenly, you have a guy who cheats at cards like a machine, being able to look at anyone's hand as he plays.

Just hope nobody reports you to the Witch Hunters. :)

• Like 1

While the suits are a bit scarce in the core book, you can always use a Manifested Power to create a trigger when you fulfill one of your destiny steps (and feel free to ask if you'd like more clarification on that).  Also, the upcoming Into the Steam book will have literally scores of triggers that you can add to your game...and a Pursuit that rocks out triggers like whoa for the whole group.  ;)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Gambling could have a trigger as an expertise skill. As such for a criminal it is worth considering :mask to trigger competitive edge (Criminal Rank 1). Allows the Fated to draw a twist card after resolving the gambling duel. Would need to be in dramatic time/extended challenge for it to happen but it may be of use if you're gambling for your life or the life of friends :angry: