Cover and Ca actions

Erik1978

I was told that when you shoot (pistol icon) into cover, it would give you a -flip on to hit (soft cover) and -flip on both to hit and damage with hard cover.

Other models don't count as cover, only the terrain?

I was also convinced that Ca actions didn't get this penaly and could even pick out a guy who was engaged without randomizing, then I read Kaeris  "Flaming Halo" Ca attack which ends with "This attack ignores cover".

So now... the confusion is total.

When do models get cover from Ca actions and what about randomizing in a swirling melee?

Can anyone take me through it?

As a bonus I can tell you about today's game where a stitched together uses that weird trick and puts 7 damage on Kaeris who has 5 wounds left. I damage prevent and flip the red joker, (which meant she died in turn 3 instead of turn 2) and the following turn Willy throws a red joker stick of dynamite in Teddy's face. Victory!

When it has the  :ranged it takes the cover into account as well as randomizes into combat unless stated otherwise. 

If it's a Ca attack, see Lure for example. It doesn't randomize and it doesn't mind about cover. It's the  :ranged that's the main point here.

Kaeris' Flaming Halo has that  :ranged which means it randomizes in combat but ignores cover because it states so. 

• Like 1

Aaah okay the icon is more important than if it's Ca or Sh.

That makes sense.

Thanks guys.

Oh, another question, in the same game I had a Gunsmith, who can get ++flips in all duels against burning targets. "All Duels" is that also damage flip, or only the Sh attack vs Df "duel"?

If my Gunsmith is standing 1" from some barrels and want to shoot over the barrels at some (evil) wicked doll who is out in the open, does that doll gain soft/hard cover?

What if the Gunsmith is 4" away from the barrels, and the wicked doll is too? (But the barrels are between them)

Also, Kaeris ignores terrain when she moves I assume that means she takes damage like everyone else if she activates in hazardous terrain?

Great, thanks.

Oh, two more popped up, you will tire of me eventually: If a model has  :+fate on Ml attacks will it then have this bonus on disengaging strikes?

Also, if Leveticus is targeted by a disengaging strike that does not succeed and Leveticus triggers his Df "Unmade" to damage the attacker, will the attacker take damage or is this damage cancelled because no triggers are allowed? It says a disengaging strike can't declare triggers, but can the defender still do so or does it only apply to the model attacking?

Yes, the :+fate will work on disengaging strikes. 

I'm of the opinion that the defender can still get triggers, as they are not making a disengaging strike. But there will be people who disagree. 

Per the FAQ:

Q: Can a model defending against a Disengaging Strike declare Triggers?

A: No. Neither model may declare any Triggers during a Disengaging Strike.