My campaign primer

brib4169

So I am getting ready to start my first TtB campaign.  I want to start earth side and make the transition into Malifaux a big production.  So I started writing and planning and realized there is little refference material regarding trains and stations and other basic way-of-life type things.  So I did a little digging.  Enjoy.

I know there is no official location for the Breach, so I came up with my own.  I wanted the breach location to be remote and defensible (to deter interlopers) but I didn't want the guild to be so isolated and I also wanted a substantial train ride to get to the Breach.  Ultimately I decided to place the breach in a knife edge canyon somewhere in the Laramie mountains in Wyoming.  I then placed the breachworks station just west of Kendal Nebraska.  More specificaly, just west of Cottonmill Lake, Ne to the mountains near Heela, Wyoming which is now roughly the north side of Crystal Lake Reservoir. 

This gave me everything I wanted.  Figuring a private guild-owned split in the line near the wyoming border, It was a trip of about 340 miles.  I got looking into train speeds for the time period and read that the average freight train went about 25 MPH and passenger trains got up to about 40 MPH, so that gives a travel time between 8.5 and 13.5 hours. 

Here is an old rail map that shows the trip...

Here is a map that shows the destination a little (but not much) better...

Next I actualy wanted to plan out the breachworks station since my first session is going to be spending a lot of time there.  I got looking into old train station plans and found one for the new CNR station in Dauphin Manitoba that I like and thus used as my core concept. 

I drew a quick maps of the station (and upstairs) and the surrounding area.

I will expound as I have time

• Like 1

So my first session should be coming up this weekend.  It will be the first foray into the world of Malifaux for a bunch of veteran D&D players.  We have already generated characters, but I have not told them their fate yet.  I plan to reveal that during the crossing with a nice dramatic flair.  One of the fated has the first step of 'As you walk backwards through the knife.'  Since I have placed the breach in the Rocky mountains, having it surrounded by knife-edge canyons is an easy leap to make.  I figured I would have him lose his ticket and have to retrace his steps (walk backwards) to find it.  In the process, I can throw in some simple duels and maybe a brawl or two to teach the mechanics of the game.  

• Like 1

here is the prologue for the rest of the fated 

The weather is still warm, but you can definitely feel the impending autumn on the cool breezes coming down out of the west.  You arrived in Breachtown late yesterday.  It was a long trip and you were weary from the road.  Your impending exodus coupled with the rumors and 'stories' told by the numerous other travelers you encountered on the way, has filled you with both excitement and apprehension.  Getting a good night's rest is not going to be easy.  

Fortunately, the Last Chance Inn always seems to be able to provide some sort of distraction for travelers in just such a predicament.  It also happens to be a unusually well suited place to rest your head and get a good hot meal.  It is almost as if the earth is leaving a poignant reminder as to what you are leaving behind.  

Horace, the venerable owner (and bartender most nights), is a quick witted and chatty sort.  He is always willing to impart upon you, his inexhaustible supply of advice regarding life on the other side of the breach, despite his having never been further west than the edge of town.  

You have no trouble finding rooms.  This time of year, the town is rather subdued.  Winters on either side of the breach are not the best times for starting a new life.  An increase in the amount of laborers, reflects the apparent focus on exports coming in from Malifaux and getting them processed before the impending snows.  

After your final repose earth-side and a decent breakfast,Horace advises you to take advantage of the good weather and walk the few miles to the train station and save the 50 cents a head that it would cost to take a cab.

and the prologue for that poor soul whom I will be picking on first...

Your first thoughts as you start to awaken are of the pervasive, alternating patches of aching pain and disconcerting numbness.  As you try to move, your head starts to throb.  You manage to drag yourself out of the straw you find yourself surrounded by and manage to locate a vertical surface to drag yourself up on.  You can smell horse.  You start to stumble towards a sliver of slightly lighter darkness and manage to discover a door.  You step out into a brisk night.  There is a tiny glimmer of light on the horizon.  Somewhere in the distance a rooster crows.  It is dawn.  

You find a water pump near the door and manage to get it working.  You stick your head under it.  The cold water and the effort of pumping start to clear the fog from your consciousness.  In the rapidly growing light you make out a train station across the road.  It starts to come back to you in a rush.  

You are on your way to Malifaux.  This is Breachworks station.  You arrived early yesterday.  The coach dropped you off at the station.  You decided to grab a drink in the bar before heading into town to find a room for the night.  Somehow you ended up playing cards and having some more drinks.  Everything after that is black.  You vaguely remember someone offering  something called Soulstone Gin for a second before it is banished from your mind by a cool breeze passing across your knees.  You look down to find yourself wearing a floral print pleated knee length skirt.  

You briefly ponder why you are in a skirt, followed immediately by what could have happened to your trousers.  This leads you into the realization that you are not in possession of your suitcase, or your ticket which was safely tucked away inside.  A quick search of your resting place yields no suitcase and even fewer answers.  
  • Like 2