To reveal or not to reveal schemes....

oreaper

Question

Ok so this is a total noob question, but it came up recently in a game and i for the life of me couldn't give a proper answer.So as you know soem schemes can be revieled or hidden, usually giving a bonus if they are revealed. The question was based on the wording of the scheme is it possible to get 3 vp on breaktrough, protect territory, plant evidence, and power ritual if tehy are not revieled at the start of the game. I thought that they needed to be revieled to get the full VP, but after re-reading at the questioning of one of our newer player it seems to indicate that revealing these schemes just make 3 VP easier to achieve.  

10 answers to this question

I pretty much always reveal schemes. It is so much easier getting down 2 markers than 3 that I feel it is always worthwhile. As soon as you drop one it will probably be obvious what you are doing so I find keeping the scheme placement schemes hidden isn't worthwhile. I will occasionally take Murder Protege or Deliver the Message hidden if I think it is too easy for them to avoid if they know it's coming, but even still I almost always declare. I go into every game planning on scoring 6vp from schemes and trying to deny 1-2 points from the opponent, but that is just the way I view it. 

Revealing a scheme often makes it easier to score the VP however by letting your opponent know your intentions you may make life more difficult for yourself as it's also easier for them to deny you points. It's a swings and roundabouts kind of deal. Some schemes however cannot achieve full VP if you keep it hidden so often it's worth while revealing and going for it. Personal preference at the end of the day. I've found in my experience many of the beginners I come across try to be sneaky and rarely reveal any schemes which can often hinder them. I know I was the same when I first started. Not so much anymore. 

I generally look for getting 6pts from my schemes without revealing. If I don't think I can get 6 without revealing, or if there is a scheme I know my opponent has no real chance of stopping if I reveal it (Entourage for certain masters), then I will reveal. I never put myself in the position of only being able to get 9 points by failing to reveal something. I also avoid certain schemes that I think are too easy to deny once my opponent knows what I am trying to do.

• Like 2

My main reason for revealing a scheme is to make it easier. My second reason is that I'm more likely to remember it.

But I like to have at least 1 scheme unrevealed as I can then bluff. Its amazing how often a minor figure can pester a master when frame for murder is in the pool and you have an unrevealed Breakthrough.

But make sure you have plans on hiow to get that 3rd marker down.

conversly, when soem one has revealed Breakthrough, or Protect territory its amazing how often you can suddeny steal 2 points from them in the last turn because they forgot you can remove markers.

I once had someone thinking I was trying for Power Ritual for the entire game when I was actually after Breakthrough and Protect Territory. First turn I dropped a marker in my own corner and then went racing for his side of the board. That marker actually did nothing for me, but at the cost of 1 AP he was sure he was ahead on points... right up until he wasn't. :) 

I've only played about 10 games, I find that hidden schemes are some times what wins the game but it's all a question of what schemes and what crews. I've played ONE game where one of us got the full 10 points so I'm never too concerned with the amount I can achieve in theory. I'd rather have the opportunity of 6 "easy" points that 10 impossible ones, when we begin.

I revealed "Deliver a Message" in one game, simply because I hoped his gun crazy anti-ressurectionists Master would then hang back out of fear of the message. he did, and I never got that scheme but won the game because his Master didn't do much, and he was by far the top dog of that game.

I always look at who I'm up against, remember that a decoy placed scheme marker can make your opponent think you have a certain scheme while you have something else.

It definitely pays to read the schemes very carefully. Some you cannot get 3 without revealing, some it is just a bit harder.

Thanks for the insight all. I've been under the illusion that those listed schemes HAD to be revieled to get max points so ive almost always revieled em. No that it is at least an option i may have to reconsider. Excellent.........(steeple' s fingers) :)