Pulses and Markers

ToadPainter

Question

I'm going into a tournament soon and I'd just like to double check some rules so I know I'm doing everything right.  Nicodem has a Tactical action to do a 8' pulse to discard corpse markers. Pulses usually only work if they have LOS to models, but not markers. So this action does not require LOS to the markers to discard the markers?

16 answers to this question

There was a smiliar discussion about Slop Haulers and their (2) Feed Pigies Tactical Action. According to the thread the answer would be, that you do not need Line of Sight to Corpse Markers to discard them.

EDIT: I just realized that Slop Hauler's Feed Piggies is not a Pulse, so... that wasn't helpful at all. Sorry.

(2) Feed Piggies: Up to 4 friendly Pigs or Gremlins within 3" may perform a 1/2/3 healing flip.

Well common sense wise pulses, blasts  and even auras shouldn't be stopped by other models blocking LOS, that's just silly. (though terrain should stop it) But then again its a game of magic and other nasty things, so anything is possible. Maybe Nicodem can sniff out the corpse markers. 

Dafty: Maybe the intention was that markers aren't models thus can be effected by more effects, ex: pulses, you don't know till one of the designers says otherwise, or an errata.

Thanks for the responses, I was wondering if there was anything I missed, looks like there wasn't.

Strictly RAW, there is no way to draw LoS to a marker at all. The LoS rules specifically talk about drawing lines between the acting model's base and the target model's base.

If we assume that models can draw LoS to markers, then a pulse should also require LoS to affect markers - that would be consistent.

Well if the marker was behind terrain and thus blocked from LoS the Pulse couldn't affect it there just like it wouldn't affect a model. Pulses and Aura's are affected by LoS restrictions. I've always played it that if the Pulse can't reach a marker (I assume we are referring to Muahaha from Maniacal Laugh) you can't affect it for your Mindless Zombie goodness. However if there is a solid and legitimate argument that contradicts this I'm open to it. After all I do play Team Nico! 

Well if the marker was behind terrain and thus blocked from LoS the Pulse couldn't affect it there just like it wouldn't affect a model. Pulses and Aura's are affected by LoS restrictions. I've always played it that if the Pulse can't reach a marker (I assume we are referring to Muahaha from Maniacal Laugh) you can't affect it for your Mindless Zombie goodness. However if there is a solid and legitimate argument that contradicts this I'm open to it. After all I do play Team Nico! 

Okay, I also always assumed that. The solid and legitimate argument would be that it's never mentioned in the rulebook that a pulse needs LoS to markers to effect them. 

Thus,

Pulses and Aura's are affected by LoS restrictions. 

is an assumption. It's never spelled out. I think it should be, but it isn't. The shout-out box talks about models, and nowhere else, LoS gets mentioned in the rulebook.

(Maniacal Laugh would still need LoS because it's a summon.)

• Like 1

That seems logical. I think this boils down to another classic case of RAW and RAI. It makes sense that LoS should affect Pulses and Auras regardless of their interactions with Models or Markers however as it's not clearly mentioned in the rulebook and as far as I recall the FAQ as well it's open to interpretation at the moment. 

• Like 1

That seems logical. I think this boils down to another classic case of RAW and RAI. It makes sense that LoS should affect Pulses and Auras regardless of their interactions with Models or Markers however as it's not clearly mentioned in the rulebook and as far as I recall the FAQ as well it's open to interpretation at the moment. 

Exactly.