Fatemaster Characters and Damage Flips

Malistrad

I've been looking cover to cover between the books... but can anyone cite for me the page that describes how a Fatemaster character (NPC) flips for damage? I vaguely recall that the +/- damage flip modifiers after a successful hit determines this during the Beta (was it any [-] is Weak, straight is Moderate, and [+] is Severe?), but I wanted to find where in the book(s) it explicitly states this. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

edited for more detail and hopefully more clarity

1) Gunslinger declares target

2) Fated character flips from the fate deck and adds Defense to the value of the card

3) If the total value of the flip did not match or exceed the attack AV of the Gunslinger (6 :ram + 7 Enforcer = AV 13 :ram), then assess by how much the Fated failed (0-4 difference is normal fail, 5-9 is one margin of failure, etc...)

4) Consult the Fated Defense Accuracy Modifiers chart for number of :-fate or :+fate to be added to the damage flip (can be found in the Fated Almanac p. 248)

5) Flip from the fate deck to determine damage received by Fated target. This flip cannot be cheated unless the Fated has a special talent/power that says otherwise

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

This is really helpful.  Zeeblee, can you break down which card is picked?  I thought I read somewhere that a positive flip the Fated picks and a Negative they must pick the lowest...which doesn't really work for when they receive damage.  Maybe it is just my malifaux mind.  Is it different for TTB?

Sure!  So damage is a bit inconcistent with how flips are made for NPCs.  Where before an NPC possessing a :+fate to attack actually translates into a :-fate for Fated defense, with damage a :+fate to NPC damage actually just remains a :+fate to NPC damage.  However, the table which determines modifiers to the damage flip is different.  When a Fated damages an NPC they use the chart found on page 207 of the Fated Almanac (or the Fated Attack Modifiers chart on page 248).  Instead of that an NPC will use the chart on page 208 or the Fated Defense Modifiers chart on page 248.  To help you along I'll repeat my previous example, but with pretend Fated flips in blue:

1) Gunslinger declares target - Captain John Randy

2) Fated character flips from the fate deck and adds Defense to the value of the card - John has 2 Defense and flips a 6 :ram 

3) If the total value of the flip did not match or exceed the attack AV of the Gunslinger (6 :ram + 7 Enforcer = AV 13 :ram), then assess by how much the Fated failed (0-4 difference is normal fail, 5-9 is one margin of failure, etc...) - John's flip totals to an 8, which is 5 below the 13, thus is a failure with a margin of 1

4) Consult the Fated Defense Accuracy Modifiers chart for number of :-fate or :+fate to be added to the damage flip (can be found in the Fated Almanac p. 248) - According to the table a failure of 1 margin means there is no modifier to the damage flip

5) Flip from the fate deck to determine damage received by Fated target. This flip cannot be cheated unless the Fated has a special talent/power that says otherwise - the Gunslinger flips 11 :tome for 4 damage

Now, if John had flipped a 11, then the margin of failure would have been 0 (a tie), so the Gunslinger would have a :-fate damage flip.  At this point the Gunslinger flips 11 :tome and a 5 :tome.  Due to the  :-fate the 5 must be chosen, and the damage is 2.

Again if we changed John's flip to be an ace (aka 1), then he has now failed by 2 margins, giving the Gunslinger a :+fate to his damage flip.  Now when he flips 11 :tome and 5 :tome the Fatemaster is free to grab the 11 for damage of 4.

Hopefully this makes it a bit more clear.

• Like 1