I pay better upgrade

daniello_s

i have a great built with this for when the strategy is "Reckoning".

cluster Hans & 2 Freikorps Trappers, put them in a clear firing lane behind McTavish's Hunting Screen way back on the table with Vik/Ash with said upgrade within 10" playing safety for them to be run up on. 

every turn 3 28"+ shots down field behind cover that only counts for you, double focused if you have the cards in your hand (Tally Sheet helps with that).

optionally if you have the points, a Student of Conflict will give an additional focus shot down field.

i have a great built with this for when the strategy is "Reckoning".

cluster Hans & 2 Freikorps Trappers, put them in a clear firing lane behind McTavish's Hunting Screen way back on the table with Vik/Ash with said upgrade within 10" playing safety for them to be run up on. 

every turn 3 28"+ shots down field behind cover that only counts for you, double focused if you have the cards in your hand (Tally Sheet helps with that).

optionally if you have the points, a Student of Conflict will give an additional focus shot down field.

This doesn't seem particularly efficient to me - Hans and the Trappers can already send three Focused shots downrange each turn without the benefit of I Pay Better, and double-Focus is only a small increase in most cases (generally not worth a discard, in my opinion). However, I do like to use I Pay Better to give Hans Focus on the first turn, then Smile and shoot an upgrade off any non-Master model on the board.

Generally, I find I Pay Better to be of more benefit for models which need to spend AP to get into effective range. Hans and Trappers usually don't need to move because their range is so huge, but models which have to move and shoot/cast, or charge, will love the extra :+fate bonuses.

• Like 1

Here is nice combo I found last night - Vanessa + I pay better and Lazarus.

- Vanessa's activation:  0 action on Lazarus to Focus himself

- Lazarus - first action shoot, then discard card to get focus and second action shoot.

Me like it :D

You'll need to discard the card at the start of the activation unfortunately, so he'll only get focus for his first shot.

• Like 1

You'll need to discard the card at the start of the activation unfortunately, so he'll only get focus for his first shot.

It would work if you do it in the reverse order though.  Lazarus actives, drops a card for focus, shoots, then focuses for his last ap.  Vanessa then uses her 0 to make him shoot using the focus.