First game and first impressions with Gremlins

surly

I had my first game with Gremlins this week and really enjoyed playing my green horde ^_^

Neither me nor my opponent has faced or played them yet, so it was quite cool seeing them in action finally.

We played Turf War with Breakthrough, Assassinate, Plant Evidence and Power Ritual.

My opponent took Guild with Lady Justice and lots of shooting and picked Assassinate and Breakthrough.

I took So'mer and wanted to focus on sheme markers, so I took Breakthrough and Plant Evidence.

After turn 5 I won with 9:6, since he couldn't score any point with Assassinate while I had a ton of markers in his zone and took away 3 additional points from Turf War.

My list looked something like this if I remember correctly:

Som'er - SS Pool 4

+Family Tree 2SS
+Encouragement 2SS

+Dirty Cheater 1SS

Francois LaCroix 7SS

+Quality Marsh Liquor 2SS

Fingers 10SS

Gracie 10SS

Slop Hauler 5SS

Bayou Gremlin 3SS

Bayou Gremlin 3SS

Bayou Gremlin 3SS

Skeeter 2SS

Total 50SS

All in all I liked the list a lot :) However there are some things I'm unsure about.

- Slop Hauler (beside Gracie) was probably the MVP of the game. That guy was just plain awesome, especially since all his abilities work so well together. He either healed freshly summoned or wounded Bayou Gremlins or provided some crucial healing in a fight between Lady J and Gracie and Francois.

To be honest I'll definately consider playing a second one in case I'd play a similar summoning list again.
When it comes to healing though, I read a lot of good things about the Quality Liquor Upgrade, but tbh although it was ok, I didn't really like it that much at all. At least on Francois it felt a bit weak, since you probably want it in combination with Bayou Two Card. So maybe it's better on something like Sammy or Som'er, altough I probably don't wanna waste their activation with healing.

I guess I'm simply missing something, would be great if somebody could clarify why it's that great ;)

Building the list again I'd probably change it into a second Slop Hauler and cut something else to fit him in.

- Gracie simply went into Turf War Zone and stood there until turn 5. Wow, that thing is tanky :blink:

Especially when it gets a healing flip from a Slop Hauler sometimes it seems to be really resistant.

Sometimes a second Tank would be great, so I'm currently considering Raphael with Dirty Cheater. Hard to Kill plus Dirty Cheater sounds like a really awesome combo, so I'll probably give it a try next time I need some more beef.

Which other models could be a option when looking for something that can take a lot of hits?

Bonus question: is there any model available that has Hard to Hill and Bayou Two Cards? Beside Poison and some ignoring attacks I can't think of much that could take this combo down :huh:

- Francois was an awesome glasscanon, but next time I play him I'll definately give him Stilts instead of the Liquor. It seems like a waste of AP when you start healing with that guy.

- Bayou Gremlins where great too, but I'm not sure if I played them too reckless (what a pun ... <_< ). I used their Reckless ability quite a lot, but I'm not sure if I threw away some of them. With only 2 life they get killed even from weak damage, while they can stand a bit longer at full life.

I used their abilty mainly to run 10" into one direction and place a marker, so I guess it's ok. However, getting even more use out of them would be great, but I'm not sure if that's a bit brazen for a (summoned) 3SS minion.

Would be awesome if you could give me a short rundown how you use them ^_^

- Last but not Least, Fingers. First of he placed 3 very crucial markers that granted me 5 VP alone, so I guess that's something. Second however, I think I simply misplayed him a bit, because he got killed on turn 3 by my opponents gunline. After the game I assume he would have been of better use if I kept him more defensive to remove all of my opponents markers in my own zone.

As stated he basically won me the game, but anyway a more conservative playstyle would fit him better, basically denying my opponent VP rather then scoring some for myself.

Any input how you play this little sneaky guy would be really apreciated :)

Long story short, would be great getting some feedback on some of my questions :D

I also just ordered a few additional boxes so I don't have to proxy that much, since the faction really seems to be a ton of fun :)

Thanks a lot, have a nice weekend, cheers!

Welcome to the wonderful world of green.

Some comments.

Stilts for Francois every time. It's essentially mandatory for him. As for Quality Mash Liquor - I don't like it. Some others seem to like it, but I don't see the big draw, really. OTOH I always use two Slop Haulers (tied for best 5SS Model with Rotten Belle IMO) - also try using them for attacking - you won't be disappointed! Cg of 8(!), an OK damage track, access to 3AP, Bayou Two-card, and the Slop debuff - these guys are so awesome!

Raphael with Dirty Cheater is awesome.

What else? Fingers - he doesn't like to get shot. In Melee he is quite durable (unless cornered) but shooting is annoying.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot ;)

Fingers - he doesn't like to get shot. In Melee he is quite durable (unless cornered) but shooting is annoying.

I guess he's pretty tricky to play effectively since he probably wants to avoid combat most of the time while also trying to get cover from shooting ... and that all while you try messing around with sheme markers.

Having said that, he brings a ton of utility into sheme heavy games, but at least from my first impression he's definately no no-brainer you just put into your list and know everything will be alright. He'll have to work for his 10SS investment :D

Dirty Cheater only works during your activation,

Fingers. I guess its a case of using him correctly. Personally, if  I got 3 markers down which earnt me 5 VP, then even if he died turn 3 he was worth his points. A more cautionus approach may well keep him alive longer, but if he only dropped 2 markers to earn 3 VP and lived through the game, he probably wasn't as much use. (it seems I'm pretty ruthless with my forces. Victory is what matters. I can always get fresh troops...)

• Like 1