Rail Worker's Metal on Metal?

SpiralngCadavr

Question

So, Metal on Metal differs from just about every damage reduction rule around. As worded, it looks like it's modifying the attack to cause less damage, rather than reducing the amount of damage a model suffers. The reason this distinction is relevant is that Metal on Metal, unlike most damage reduction abilities (such as Armor or Incorporeal) which only modify a model's suffered damage, affects incidental damage (notably blast damage) also... I think.

I did a text search of the wave 2 beta files. The only only other references to damage caused are:

-stuffed piglet: damage flips caused by (modify the attack)

-a few "immune to damage caused by blast/AOE/condition" sorts of things

I also did a text search of the wave 1 cards, I don't have the final version, but cross-referenced these with the rulebook and the only earlier instances there were:

-ototo, rail worker (also on its 0): damage flips caused by (modify the attack)

-mcmourning/upgrade, hard worker: damage caused by (modifies the attack to ignores abilities)

-again, some "immune to damage caused by"

The instances all modify the attacks, except those that specifically state a model ignores the damage. 

All other damage reduction abilities work by referring to damage suffered by a model, rather than damage caused by an attack. Damage caused by an attack exclusively refers to modification of the attack, with the exception of things which are immune to a given source of damage.

...so, is this some weird inconsistency in the language and it's effectively just extra armor (that reduces how much damage you take), or does it work more like hard to wound, where it's affecting the damage output?

...so, is this some weird inconsistency in the language and it's effectively just extra armor (that reduces how much damage you take), or does it work more like hard to wound, where it's affecting the damage output?

Personally I think it's the former and you're over reading a variation in phrasing.

The reading you're postulating is relevant in such limited situations that I cannot imagine it being intentional. If it was intended to work as you suggest I strongly suspect it would have been worded more specifically to apply in those circumstances.

If an ability or condition ignores armor. The rail workers metal on metal would be unaffected. So if anything it adds it an additional layer of defense. Compare this to grind to a halt. Which just increases the armor of the defending model.

But outside of just reducing damage I don't see any significant things this is supposed to do. Since it works like any other reduction.

Df ()Metal on Metal: Reduce the damage caused by an Attack Action by 2, to a minimum of 1.

Well I guess it would.

Now to read deeper into it. It just says attack action. Why does it have to be the attack used by the attacking model. Why not any attack action on any card ? How long does this effect last Eot eog? Immediately goes away? (Yes I am being ridiculous) but for realsys why not any attack action.

I don't see the problem here. Any damage caused by any kind of Attack Action will be reduced by 2, just like normal Armor+2. This includes blasts, pulses and auras as long as they were caused by an Attack Action and not a Tactical Action or Ability.

The only difference is that attacks that ignore Armor will not be able to ignore Metal on Metal.

If the attack specifically prevents damage reduction (damage from this Attack may not be reduced) then you do not get the benefit from Metal on Metal.

• Like 2

I don't really understand what you mean.

If you are attacked directly and should suffer 4 damage, you'll instead take 4-2 = 2 damage.

If a model nearby is attacked and you suffer a :blast of 3 damage, you'll take 3-2 = 1 damage.

If someone nearby deals a :pulse or :aura damage of 2 damage, you'll take 2-2 (to a min 1) = 1 damage.

The only time you may not reduce the damage is when the attack specifically states that you cannot reduce damage from it, or when it's damage caused by either an ability (such as a defensive trigger) or a Tactical Action.

• Like 1

I would argue ,that no matter what way you read it, that it doesn't reduce the damage caused by blasts on other models caught up in the same attack action. It states reduce the damage on the attack action, but not any residual damage resulting from blasts. So in effect a 2/3b/4bb attack on a moderate would only cause 1 wound on the model that has the metal on metal rule, but still cause 2 damage to surrounding models caught up in the blast unless they have armour or some other such damage limiting ability.  

I don't really understand what you mean.

If you are attacked directly and should suffer 4 damage, you'll instead take 4-2 = 2 damage.

If a model nearby is attacked and you suffer a :blast of 3 damage, you'll take 3-2 = 1 damage.

If someone nearby deals a :pulse or :aura damage of 2 damage, you'll take 2-2 (to a min 1) = 1 damage.

The only time you may not reduce the damage is when the attack specifically states that you cannot reduce damage from it, or when it's damage caused by either an ability (such as a defensive trigger) or a Tactical Action.

This is how I naturally read it, but it seems that it isn't the only way it's read (it might be an anomalous wording of Armor equivalent).

I don't think anyone really believes this should work any way other than as an Armor equivalent do they?

I'd give it 80% odds that it should work similiar to armor. It's really impossible to know if it was written that way on purpose.

Unfortunately game can't really be played based on what should have been written in the rule book. (Or it can, but then it is a different game.) Currently the trigger reduces damage caused by an attack action, which would mean that the damage is reduced to all models damaged by that attack action.

• Like 1

"Should" is a stronger word than I'd use, but RAW points to it, and I don't understand why the language would have been changed vs. a basic copy-paste along the lines of "Metal on Metal: Reduce the damage suffered by this model by +2 for the duration of this Action, to a minimum of 1" or something like that, if the only intention was for it to not be ignored by things that specifically ignore Armor.

I'm completely willing to buy that it's a language inconsistency, but Wyrd's rules language is usually so specific and consistent that the variation in it made me think that it meant something else, so I brought it up here. Usually, if there's variation in rules language, I expect it's intentional. More than most games, unless something's really weird, I tend to trust Wyrd's RAW because of their consistency.

I don't mean to be argumentative, and I'm definitely not trying to claim it as RAI since there's obviously a split opinion here, but, IDK, that's how I read it.

Currently the trigger reduces damage caused by an attack action, which would mean that the damage is reduced to all models damaged by that attack action.

Are we reducing the damage taken be each model by two? Or should we apply a reduction of two to the total damage being done? Can I reduce the damage taken by one of the models to zero so long as the action does the minimum of one damage in total?

Your interpretation doesn't answer any of the above questions.

As I said at the start. The rule given is only sufficient to function as an Armor equivalent. For it to function as anything else it would need additional verbiage in order to produce the effect you're trying to interpret.  Given two possible readings of a rule the 'can of worms' reading will not be the correct one.

Also keep rule five in mind, if you think a rule should work one way you can't argue it works another.

Are we reducing the damage taken be each model by two? Or should we apply a reduction of two to the total damage being done? Can I reduce the damage taken by one of the models to zero so long as the action does the minimum of one damage in total?

What happens when something increases the damage done by attack? (Ice gamin's aura for example.) I have always played that so that it increases the damage done to all targets by 1.

Also keep rule five in mind, if you think a rule should work one way you can't argue it works another.

There are many rules that I think should have been written differently and I don't agree with all the rulings in the FAQ. I think that the way the rule is written it works so that it reduces damage to all models suffering damage from the attack action. I'm not playing devil's advocate here. Devil is quite capable of taking care of his own interests.

What happens when something increases the damage done by attack? (Ice gamin's aura for example.) I have always played that so that it increases the damage done to all targets by 1.

Aura's specifically apply the given effect to all the models in the aura. That's not relevant to what we're discussing.

I think that the way the rule is written it works so that it reduces damage to all models suffering damage from the attack action.

Then how do you answer the questions I asked in my last post.

Aura's specifically apply the given effect to all the models in the aura. That's not relevant to what we're discussing.

That's a bit of a non sequitur. Myyrä's point was that when something increases the damage done by an attack, it does affect, e.g., blast damage. So the same would apply when something reduces the damage done by an attack. Being applied by an aura has nothing to do with anything.
  • Like 1