Question about mixing masters/units etc.

Minijunkie

Hey guys,

Massive newbie here (like...never played a game yet). I have three starters (lol) and a bunch of models assembled. The dreamer, Pandora and Lilith. 

What I'm not clear on is can I mix and match a Master with different units (for example, the Dreamer and some Terror Tots)? Even if it's "legal", would it be severely gimped? :)

Love the models and the fiction etc, can't wait to paint these!

Legal! You hire based on faction, not Master. Many models work well with different crew combinations, but more importantly you'll find some models are crucial for different schemes. You'll probably get more out of experimenting for yourself, but they absolutely mix.

By way of example; if you get a marker heavy scheme pool and want to use Pandora - take Turbo Tots also. They will do great for you, and Kade's lure can be used to trigger pounce.

Yes...pick faction, draw schemes, build crew based on strat/schemes, reveal crew, then finally pick schemes you plan to take. All Neverborn masters have access to hire all Neverborn models (anything you find in any of the crew boxes labeled Neverborn, with the noted except of Lucius' crew box as everything in it is Guild unless he hires it).

As a fellow Neverborn player (Pandora was my first master), welcome to Malifaux. :D

Also, might I suggest looking into Insidious Madness for future purchases (they are Rare 3...at least pick up 2 of them). I've all but replaced my Sorrows with them for my Pandora crew. They don't do the 1pt damage for failed WP, but all enemies in 4 :aura  have to discard a card before they can cheat a WP duel, which makes emptying your opponents hand or causing them to make tough choices nice. Also, they (Insidious) have walk 7, incorporeal, and higher Df and WP than Sorrows, so tend to stick around longer. Add to all this, that they are Nightmares, and Dreamer can summon them on a 9 :mask. Hell, I've used them with Lilith as well as they are fast scheme runners who ignore terrain (I use them with every master eventually).

They are just overall nice.

• 4 weeks later...