Grow with Nekima

Aesop

Question

Does Nekima's "True Mother" upgrade need to be used in conjunction with either the "Rapid Growth" upgrade or a Black Blood Shaman in order to allow models to grow (and mature)?

True Mother reads:

Feast, My Darlings: When this model kills an

enemy model, a friendly model within 6" may count

as having killed the model for the purposes of the

Grow and Mature Abilities.

but it doesn't look like it actually grants the Grow and Mature abilities like it does on the other two sources, for example, the Black Blood Shaman's Grow:

Grow: If a friendly Terror Tot model within

12" (regardless of LoS) kills a non-Peon

enemy model with an Attack Action, summon

a Young Nephilim in base contact with the

Terror Tot. Then, sacrifice the Terror Tot.

Thanks!

6 answers to this question

Not sure what confirmation is needed (not being part of the F/b discussion), but it seems pretty clear to me. Nekima's upgrade, as Aesop quoted, offers a 'bonus' to the Grow and Mature Abilities, namely, allowing Tots/Young to hang out near Nekima and count as having killed things that she in fact has killed  in order to Grow or Mature. But that 'bonus' only comes into effect if Nekima or some other model in range has the Grow and/or Mature Ability. Are there people arguing that True Mother bypasses the need to have Grow or Mature as well? Unless there's something that I'm missing, that seems like bad reading of the card.

Sidenote, quite a few of the upgrades and abilities work like this: in order to gain benefit A from this upgrade, you need something that provides Ability B. That doesn't mean that taking upgrade A automatically produces Ability B, or bypasses the need for it. Kade's Where's Teddy? action won't work if there isn't a Teddy on the table, and nor will it produce one. Etc. I.e., this isn't a situation unique to True Mother.