Getting started with gremlins.

Bon Clodger

So my gaming club is going to be holding a little malifaux tourney next month and I wanted to enter as gremlins. I was just looking for a rough idea of what a solid starting set of stuff would be. I would like to use somer teeth jones but other that that I'm not sure what goes with him.

His new starter. Box and some extra gremlins I guess? Was also looking at Gracie and killjoy for a big heavy hitter merc, or if not him is the whisky golem any good with him as I am deffo going to be picking up the nightmare version.

Gracie is a really nasty model if you are looking for a beater in gremlins I would reccomend her over Killjoy. I would pick up the somer box and a box of extra bayou gremlins like you said, and I would add a box of slop haulers on top of that for sure as 1-2 go in basically every gremlin list.

After that it is up to you what to add, gracie as I said is nasty with somer and can carry him with Saddle leaving him more free to summon gremlins. The kin box could be a decent investment if you are interested in Ophelia, as Francois and any kin that need rams love somer for handing them out and making their triggers go off.

I only am just starting gremlins but I hope this helped.

I would recommend a look at the Pullmyfinger wiki to gauge what play style you'd like to play with Som'er. There are also a lot of good recommendations on what to buy. You can also look under the first edition material for Som'er as a lot of it is still relevant though may require specific upgrades to replicate (the tactics remain the same though).

If your serious about Somer, then i would suggest the pigapult is essential. Its your hardest hitter, with Stuffed Piglet ammo, and also your best scheme claiming via launched gremlins. I would also say Francois (henchman) is essential as a decent tank / damage dealer and healer (with Quality Mash Liquor) , with companion and reckless, his utility is unmatched and he is always useful.

For marker heavy schemes and strats id say Somer, Skeeter, Slop Hauler, Pigapult ,Stuffed Pig (or 2), 3+ Bayou Grems and Francois (with Quality Mash Liquor) is a solid summoning list.

For reckoning, turf war, assassinate, vendetta, make them suffer etc, you need to mix in Kin. To be competitive you need Rafael, Rami, Lenny, in your pool to beef up the survivability and damage dealing. If your playing fixed faction rather than fixed master, then you should swap out Somer for Orphelia for these schemes/strats as well, but somer can still do it (just not as well).

So in summary, you need somer box, orphelia (kin) box, pigapult and some stuffed pigs, and you will have a 100SS pool, capable of being customised to make a competitive 50SS crews for any strat / scheme combo.

I would avoid investing in pigs unless you take Ulix, War Pigs, Old Major, Penelope, Gracie etc, and likewise, Brewmaster, shinobis, Whiskey golem etc. If you want Somer, then the above is fine.

Good luck!

What to get for Gremlins is honestly dependent on how fiddly you want to get in "I build my crew based on scheme/opposing faction". One of the biggest things Gremlins have going for them is the widest array of Soulstone costs, so lists can be tailored much finer.

S'omer's big thing is he's a generalist: he can do a lot of things okay. If you only have one master for a tournament, or don't REALLY care about being fiddly, he's the PERFECT guy to go with.

Slop Haulers are good things to look at since a lot of the Gremlin mechanics are "hurt myself to get a benefit", so healing could be useful. I made sure to build a Trixie proxy because pound for pound she's my favorite henchman in the game with universal usage.

I picked up a Taxidermist and stuffed pigs, and I'm rocking about 10ish Bayou Gremlins. Beyond that and some fiddly choices, I can field a group for several good strategies.

Lenny will be an asset for either moving Skeeters around to use "pull my finger" for moving slop haulers further upfield or to add support healing, for forcing recently healed gremlins further afield or for summoning piglets.

I would suggest taking a war pig and maybe piglets with a hog whisperer, piglets can be better scheme runners than gremlins due to their survivability and a war pig properly used can be the bane of your opponent.

Slop haulers are pretty much auto include with Somer for Family tree.

Soak up activations where possible with Somer's summoning and then the newly summoned bayou gremlins (you only need to start with about four in play but can drop higher priced models for numbers if required).

So far my Somer crew hasn't lost a game (in 2.0), though Lenny is a recent addition (with the new plastics) and I have had no luck with Skeeters.

I don't run a pigapult but I do like using the taxidermist and stuffed pigs and as of yet have not tried Gracie out but all reports on her seem favorable.

If your serious about Somer, then i would suggest the pigapult is essential. Its your hardest hitter, with Stuffed Piglet ammo

It hits just as hard with regular piglet ammo and is usually cheatable. It is a good piece but not absolutely necessary as it does require a specific build to really be effective and tends to limit other options.

It hits just as hard with regular piglet ammo and is usually cheatable. It is a good piece but not absolutely necessary as it does require a specific build to really be effective and tends to limit other options.

I see what you are saying, but I cant bring myself to sacrifice a 4ss minion for ammo, stuffed piggies half the price, and has blast. I agree Pigapult is a specific build, but it is gold dust for many scheme/strat combos, so would always include in a 100SS pool. Its also pretty flexible being useable for aggression as well as gremlin launching for schemes, so its not a one trick pony.

I see what you are saying, but I cant bring myself to sacrifice a 4ss minion for ammo, stuffed piggies half the price, and has blast. I agree Pigapult is a specific build, but it is gold dust for many scheme/strat combos, so would always include in a 100SS pool. Its also pretty flexible being useable for aggression as well as gremlin launching for schemes, so its not a one trick pony.

but the blast is harder to get because the damage flip is uncheatable for stuffed piglets...but as Omenbringer said, there are builds to get around this (Brewie, Merris, Lovely Assistant), but then you're investing more.

That's only if you want to fire it though, you could place 6 stuffed piglets (and Pere) up to 24" away, around what you want to kill, then fire indiscriminately into them

• Like 1

Yes Malal! now we are talking, I have done this and loved it, very nice watching people trying to decide what to do with their 1 activation after you've sent 2 stuffed pigs and Pere into their back line! you can also try sniping Pere with Rami after hes been pigapulted into place... also nice to frame Pere for Murder than send him in...although you need to watch out for burning and poison...

Lenny feeds it for nothing easily enough and is probably in a Som'er build already anyway.