Hobby contest voting....

Bruglyother

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So our local group is finishing up a Territories League, and part of it was a painting competition for those who wished to participate. So, I come to you, oh mighty forum denizens, to help us determine who is worthy of the prizes. Choose your favorite, and please feel free to leave feedback. I am sure the painters would greatly appreciate it.

McCabe:

McMourning:

Ramos:

Tara:

YanLo:

Very close. They're all pretty good.....can't really see detail too well on the pics, so I can't get into the nitty-gritty of technique, but they're all at least good table quality. The creativity of the Tara crew defying gravity is what tipped the scales for me.

But, I'm also interested in how the Ramos bases were done.....that's really cool too.

• Like 1

I'm the one who painted the Ramos crew, so I can tell you what I did. I'm guessing everyone is interested in the blue part. I used two blues, one light and one dark, and wet blended them, very messily. I intentially left only a small bit colored the lighter blue, since I felt it was a bit more drastic and visually appealing that way. I'm not sure how well it can be seen in the photo, but there is also a very thin line of white edging between the light blue and the upper part of the base, creating a bit more contrast between the mud/gears and the blue. This was done after the blues dried. They all all kinds of oddly shaped because the top of the bases are molded (for the most part) with basing molds. I used green stuff for that, intentially 'over-molding'. I trimmed down the edges with a knife, to more or less match the angle of the base, filled in any problematic parts with putty, then painted. I hope that answers everyone's questions! Thanks for the complements. :)

• Like 1

I agree, the Tara crew appeals to me the most - But given more pictures I might decide differently.

Overall, all crews have elements I like. As others mentioned, the Ramos crew is quite eye catching, but Joss' color scheme does not work for me. - That and the basing on the tara crew tipped the scales.