Painting diary. Picture and rambling heavy.

theshepherd

I thought I'd start posting a few pictures of my finished and ongoing projects to help keep my motivation levels up.

I'm a bit of a rush painter and I do have a bad habit of changing the colour scheme midway through a project so I wouldn't say the final effect is clean but it works.

photo1_zps6577ecc3.jpg

The Ortegas were my first crew brought, built and painted in a night to get ready for my first game the following day. Quite a few re touches planned for the family

photo12_zps1cb5ab38.jpg

Marcus and his beasts I really like but haven't managed to play a game with yet.

photo2_zps6dcc346e.jpg

Sonnia and her flock of witchling were painted over a few weeks so the style changes a bit from model to model. 

photo22_zpsd9e27be4.jpg

Raspy and the snowmen were the quickest crew I've painted. Took me longer to get the golems arms to sit right than to paint.

photo3_zpsb9ba8ea9.jpg

Lady J with added low marshal (i know its lone but with the hat change he's now my low river marshal) Lots of techniques tried here some worked better than other.

photo32_zps49195070.jpg

My current project. Mei fang is still in hte early stages and Kang had a bit of an accident (i wave my hands as I talk, if you add a paint filled brush and a model closer than you think you get four big black lines on kangs face and chest) Plus I tried to fix it a silly o clock and now he has a purple head. He'll be fixed when I paint Mei.

Thanks for sticking with the pictures and the prattle I'll try and keep this up date with what ends up on my painting table. 

• 3 weeks later...

Finished Sebastian last night.

Loved painting this model, the face and coat were great for practicing layering and the was plenty of excuses to add some blood splater.

I hated building him, it took me ages to line the hands up and I'm still not happy with them. This may of had something to do with lack of sleep and being on the last dregs of my glue.

D0245AE9-C79E-454A-9A54-7A533AB004C0_zps

838DCBEE-742F-4D39-B668-E95B09721EB8_zps

• 3 weeks later...

A bit slow on the hobby front at the moment as I've run out of models to paint, which has never happened before.

I've gone back and re-touched the emberling, originally I aimed for a light metallic look which worked in my head a lot better than it did on the model. I've gone for a more classic molten look now with the dark sections.

E09CF3F2-F2C7-49E0-A21F-74F31FF42558_zps

I've also just received my gaming board. A friend who does shop display boards for work knock this up for me as a favor. Not ideal for transport but looks great on the table.

0EF29A4E-588A-4118-813A-44097567142D_zps

• 2 weeks later...

Still a bit slow on the painting front, I've been busy playing instead of painting but I should be able to start my canine remains this week.

In the mean time I've cobbled together a small case for my McMourning crew from an old first aid tin and some foam spare from my larger cases.

I thought the tin was quite fitting for the crew and it should be a lot easier to carry with my work stuff for a quick game.

F3FB3841-F4EF-49C1-899B-5E225025C7D6_zps

20B2DB7C-66D5-4DD9-86C3-8F711231E8D3_zps

• Like 1

Neat idea for the carrying case. Nice and theme'y though I might recommend another option to prevent paint chipping during transport. Assuming the metal first aid kit has some ferrous metal in it, you can use rare Earth Magnets and just have them held right on the side. If the case isn't ferrous then you could potentially glue a thin strip of a metal that is inside. I seem to recall Gale Force Nine having a product that would be perfect for this and can be cut with ordinary scissors.

• Like 1

Theshepherd,

This is the part of being me I hate....

Ok I looked at your models and I'm just going to say what I think and take the fallout later. I'm well known for telling what I think is the truth, and not very popular for it.

I like your 6 crews before Dr. McMornings as they are well painted, pretty colorful and highlighted, and well based. I think in your McMourning crew almost everything went wrong. The basing is terrible and looks like someone made mud blocks and set them on top of the grass which does not work. The colors and highlighting you did are just bland and lifeless even for the dead. This is too bad because your a good painter but the models are not interesting to look at. You didn't address the dogs mold lines and they are more then an eyesore. I do like the blood effects...they are good and not over the top, just right actually. The light effect on McMourning rad.

The killjoy conversions cool, but don't make it look like hes standing on dirt stairs. You should break up the box shape of the ground. Your painting of Bete Noire is very impressive and I love it. The problem is I hone in on those god awful looking knives. I can't even stomach how terrible looking the sculpt knives are. I keep thinking he should change those out with something that's not terrible looking. Then you have her next to a awesome conversion with killjoy and I just lock up.

Oh the first aid case is pretty cool, I like the though there.

At the end of the day as long as you love em though that all that matters.

Nighthater