Kang's The Workers Champion.

Godgolden

Hey guys,

Ok simple thread really, how is everyone with 'The Workers Champion' ability on Kang, how have people been faring against it, those construct / undead lovers out there.

If you use Kang, how does it feel on the other side.

Peace.

Edited for alittle more clarity.

David; as you know from direct experience against me, Kang is absolutely brutal against Undead and Constructs.  Any strategy or scheme which forces engagement (notably Turf War) just emphasises this as you can't back away from the effects.  It's probably as close to a counter-pick as it is possible to get in Malifaux second edition.  As a Ten Thunders player I would always be thinking of Kang in the Resurrectionist match up, and certainly he'd get consideration against Guild, Arcanists or Outcasts.  Fixed master events make this even worse as dropping Kang on a standard Hoffman or Ramos crew skews almost every attack.  That's not to say that he's in every crew of course, but he's got a lot to recommend him.

I'm not sure whether the ability makes him 'too good' of course, at least not any more than Arcanist players would say that Ramos is 'too good' in Reconnoitre.

Cheers Mythic!

And cheers Argent, im just raising this up as a concern as im sort of guinea pigging myself (looking at my reaction when someone pulls Kang out in a tourny) and finding my reaction suprising, you have taught me to fear Ten Thunders like no other, it also helps you are damn good at what you do, you know he's a force multiplier and you rightly punish your opponent if they want to move him.

It just seems odd to have an ability that covers a healthy number of opponents give every friendly a free focus on every attack including himself with no resource spent (persuming a pure construct or undead list), it is incredibly powerful and even if he didnt have it, he would be a solid model, granted not for every stratergy but omni-useful models are rare.

if this game did not have pure construct/undead armies and they were scant few then it wouldnt be an issue, it would certainly help! but it wouldnt free focus against everything, for everyone including masters, I can't find any other one ability as singularly powerful.

The reason im being real cagey is because I play pure Mech lists so im trying my best to be impartial lol!

Its good but kangs lack of pace means it doesnt cover that much plus its good against constructs and undead so lots of outcasts are fine most guild dont care and most neverborn and gremlins arent affected. If he was a joss level tank then yes he'd be too good but with def 5 and no armour you can take him down fairly quickly with a proper beatstick!

It's interesting that you bring up crews made up entirely of constructs/undead.  There aren't any factions where you would be required to take an entirely undead force or an entirely construct force.  And even in a fixed master tournament, every master will have access to living models, or at least spirits that are not undead.

Kang is just one example of what I like to call 'theme stompers'.  In guild there are masters whose design philosophy is "hunt neverborn" or "hunt ressers".  If you play your nicodem crew right out of the box, then a lady justice player might accidentally fall backwards into a win against you.  I've played with my Perdita crew against "themed" Pandora and Lilith crews, and aura ancestral and trick shooting just shut down and killed swathes of their models.  When that same player comes back with a pair of waldgeists in his crew, the story changes.

I'd say in a fixed faction environment, if you are playing ressers, have a McMourning moonlighting build handy, or a Kirai crew.  Kang won't be the only reason you'll want to not rely on one particular model type.

When playing with Kang, I like him.  He doesn't blow my mind.  I don't think he is worth 11 stones for people's challenge, but he often holds my hard worker upgrade.  hard worker plays into workers champion, which makes him a very likely candidate for resser or arcanist matchups.  Outside of those factions, I honestly like Toshiro more for the "I buff nearby models" role.  His minions are much faster and can be much more accurate.  Certainly better in matchups where you aren't sure just how many actual construct or undead targets you'll actually be facing.

So I guess I'd say, diversify a bit, and work on taking out nearby models rather than Kang himself.

I played Ramos against Tara in a recent tourney, a fasted Student of Metal nuked Ramos in one round, left him with one health... generally that almost never happens... I think counter choices (like Bette Noir against rezzers) are just part of the game, if you push your construct shenanigans (looking at you mechanical rider) your just asking for an optimized Kang or SoM... better be able to deal with it or change your standard line up...