Kutslo

Hello all... I'm fairly new to Malifaux and have started with Jakob Lynch. I always like to have a painting log for my Warhammer army to keep me motivated, but also to get advice on how to improve, so thought I'd do the same for Malifaux.

So far I've painted my Illuminated, and made a start on Huggy, although I haven't done the bases yet. With the Hungering Darkness I've tried to go for an ethereal effect, but I'm not sure if it needs a blue glaze to soften the highlights a bit. I'm also not sure whether to paint the "legs" a different colour to break it up a bit. Any thoughts much appreciated!

Anyway, here's my progress so far...

DSC00636.jpg

DSC00644.jpg

DSC00641.jpg

IM not sure if i would go for a full on glaze with huggy. Maybe paint all the recesses/shaded areas with a thinned out blue was doing a few coats as required? A wash of devlan mud on his teeth would work well i think. Also if you neatly applied gw violet wash around the edges of his eyes this would outline them nicely also adding more depth. Finish off with a bit of gloss on the eyes and i think he will be looking even better for minimal effort!

Just a suggestion :) i like the colours you have used for the highlights also :) my only critique would e the blue dress. I think a different colour more simular to the rest of the illuminated would have looked better. But that's just my personal preference..

Over all a quality looking start to your crew :) finally welcome to malifaux :)

Thanks for the feedback both.

Underdog - Thanks, I'll give those tips a go on Huggy. He doesn't seem quite right so hopefully that'll sort it :) With the dress I wanted something other than grey so thought blue as I've used blues on the other models. I'll probably use that blue on one of the Beckoners as well so hopefully that will tie it all in a bit more.

I've finished Lynch now... although having seen the close up photo I think I need to redo one of his eyes! I'm pretty happy with how the skeleton/ghost/thing turned out, but not sure my attempt at a purple silk waistcoat came out so well. I tried not to use any shades on Jakob himself, and just to build up the shading with different colours but I think this is something I need a lot more practice with.

Anyway here's some photos of Lynch and the gang...

DSC00646.jpg

DSC00650.jpg

Next up (when I have time!) will be Tuco and the Beckoners.

Thoughts and comments much appreciated :)

I really like your painting style, it looks as though you are capturing motion with the directionality of your highlights.

The skelly-bob looks great, and I like the purple on Lynch.

Maybe try those darker blues/purples on huggy to break him up a bit? I quite like him as he us though! :-D

I'm liking the overall look. You asked for suggestions so.........I think another layer in both directions (darker and lighter) would really help some of those things really pop.......like Huggy's teeth for example, they could use a darker shadow where close to each other and another highlight....they'd really jump out of his head then........or the clothing.....could use a darker shadow in the creases (or like around the leg cuff) and another highlight at the high points.

It would help to differentiate the details and help disguise the fairly big jump between your base color and highlight color. It looks like you have the brush control to handle pushing yourself a little harder and I think you'd be happy with the results if you did.

Thanks for the comments all

Vaiuri - I did start using the same style on Huggy as I did on the Illuminated, but I re-started when I decided I wanted him to look more like a spirit... not sure if he would look better the other way!

Omenbringer - I'm not sure about the bases myself yet, which is why I haven't started them! I'm leaning towards sand painted grey with a few tufts of grass - nice and simple and the similar to what I use for my Warhammer army... but not sure if the grey will be too similar to the grey I've used on the models.

Dgraz - Some good tips there, thanks :) I'll try mixing the grey with black and white to create more shadow/highlights. I've always relied on shades to get depth on my models so trying to learn how to do it without them so all advice much appreciated. It's quite different painting models for a skirmish game like this, compared to painting up blocks of 30-50 models for a Warhammer unit!

Hopefully get an evening of painting in this week so will see how I get on.

It's quite different painting models for a skirmish game like this, compared to painting up blocks of 30-50 models for a Warhammer unit!

That's an understatement. Way back when I played Fantasy, my favorite part always was painting the characters. Here, every model is a character. I enjoy taking my time on every model.

Omenbringer - I'm not sure about the bases myself yet, which is why I haven't started them! I'm leaning towards sand painted grey with a few tufts of grass - nice and simple and the similar to what I use for my Warhammer army... but not sure if the grey will be too similar to the grey I've used on the models.

I might recommend a different direction than standard out door basing. I would probably go with either cobble stones or wood planking (a dark cherry perhaps). Both could reasonably be done with the models glued down already. For the cobbles you could use either green stuff (rolled into small balls and then slightly pushed into place near bye each other) or with lentils. Wood planking would be fairly easy as well as long as you get the really thin balsa wood strips.

Dgraz - I agree, that's one of the things I'm enjoying about Malifaux too!

Omenbringer - Thanks for the suggestions. I hadn't considered something like that as they were already stuck to bases but think I'll give it a go. I can always have a "broken" bit with some ground (sand) showing through if it's difficult near the feet.

I think you would definately need something other than a painted sand and few tufts of grass base. It will really understate your painting efforts. Have a browse of the forums for some ideas. IM thinking cobble stones would be good. You could have patches of the stones missing with a sand foundation to break them up a bit, or help get around some awkward areas where the models are glued to the base.

the crew as a whole is looking fantastic though :)

I've had a go at some more highlights and lowlights on the crew so far... Pretty happy with these now I think, so time to  focus on bases and getting the rest of the models done now. 

DSC00651.jpg

On the topic of bases I found a helpful tutorial by Gmorts on making GS cobblestones so gave it a go using Tuco (not brave enough to try with a painted model yet, and metal is easier to remove from the base if I don't like it!). It was quite tricky to work around his feet, but hopefully it'll come out ok when it's painted!

DSC00653.jpg

If you are planning on using green stuff for the cobbles then do your self a favor and make a few "cobble tools" with slightly flattened brass tube of different diameters dipped in vegetable oil (to prevent the GS from sticking). It makes it a load easier. Lentils are also a good choice, just spread the white glue and throw on the lentils. Once dry use a brush on primer and paint. Convincing and easy.