Some Basic Rules Around Blasts, Pulses and Auras...

Moondog

A group of us have started playing and we are not bad now but I do think sometimes there is a bit of deviation from the rules.....

Just a couple of things I wanted to check on, please tell me if anything is wrong...

1) Auras and Pulses - Models need to be in line of sight to be affected. If you are not in line of sight you can't be affected.

2) Blasts - The original target must be in line of sight. Blasts generated from the damage flip can hit models not in line of sight BUT only if your first target and first hit is on something within line of sight.

3) Blasts / Auras and Pulses - Are all different things. For example a model with "Evasive: This model is immune to damage caused by 'pulse' effects." will still be damaged by blasts and auras.

Some fundamental stuff -

4) Your own models and enemy models could potentially block your line of sight.

5) A casting (Ca) spell will be affected by line of sight (LOS) and cover modifiers as normal if it has a gun icon after range on the stat card. You cannot normally use this if the caster is in melee.

6) A casting (Ca) spell without a gun icon can be cast in melee and does not require LOS, nor can any target normally benefit from cover.

We may well be teaching new players so hopefully we are not teaching bad habits... anything look wrong? Oh one final thing - when we were taught, we were taught soulstone users can spend a soulstone for a healing flip - I can't see this anywhere in the small rulebook - is this right?

A group of us have started playing and we are not bad now but I do think sometimes there is a bit of deviation from the rules.....

Just a couple of things I wanted to check on, please tell me if anything is wrong...

1) Auras and Pulses - Models need to be in line of sight to be affected. If you are not in line of sight you can't be affected.

2) Blasts - The original target must be in line of sight. Blasts generated from the damage flip can hit models not in line of sight BUT only if your first target and first hit is on something within line of sight.

3) Blasts / Auras and Pulses - Are all different things. For example a model with "Evasive: This model is immune to damage caused by 'pulse' effects." will still be damaged by blasts and auras.

Some fundamental stuff -

5) A casting (Ca) spell will be affected by line of sight (LOS) and cover modifiers as normal if it has a gun icon after range on the stat card. You cannot normally use this if the caster is in melee.

6) A casting (Ca) spell without a gun icon can be cast in melee and does not require LOS, nor can any target normally benefit from cover.

We may well be teaching new players so hopefully we are not teaching bad habits... anything look wrong? Oh one final thing - when we were taught, we were taught soulstone users can spend a soulstone for a healing flip - I can't see this anywhere in the small rulebook - is this right?

1-5) Correct!

6) Ca Actions require LoS as usual. Otherwise, correct.

Soulstone users may not spend a stone to make a healing flip (that was a rule from last edition) but they may spend a stone to prevent when suffering damage.

• Like 1

Some fundamental stuff -

Your last point is a little bit off. Ca actions, with or without a :ranged icon, need LoS .  Generally anything that says "Target" needs LoS.

And no, Soulstone users cannot spend a stone for a healing flip.

• Like 1

Just to add on to the others' responses, keep in mind that Auras  :aura effect all valid targets in their range/LoS and the person emanating the Aura if they could be a valid target also. Pulses  :pulse effect all valid targets in range/LoS except the person from which they emanate. (Pages 58-59 of the Small Rulebook and Pages 50-51 of the Large Rulebook)

• Like 1