Little Girls and Gaming

My daughter is nine and is starting to show interest in gaming. She seems most interested in card based games. Her math skills are strong, more so than my own at her age. I'm so proud of her (for obvious reasons), but I'm not sure how to encourage her without being too "Dad" about it. Are there any Dads here who can offer advice?

My 9 year-old daughter really enjoyed the simple maths and easy card gameplay of Lords of War by Black Box Games (http://lords-of-war.com/). It is not a kid's game, but it is entirely suitable for kids, and you will really enjoy it as well. One of my favourite games, and it is a good introduction to fantasy-based gaming in general, with more than a little of a miniatures game about the way the cards interact on the table.

I would have thought Malifaux in particular might be a little complicated for a 9 year old to fully grasp but I've been proven wrong by kids in the past! My kid Sister is nearly 8 and she's playing Metallica on the Guitar, she's actually done Master of Puppets for me in the past which was pretty shocking and incredible at the same time!  :D

Some interesting card games that would be suitable for children would be Munchkin, Smash Up (maybe) and possibly Evil Baby Orphanage. They are all really good fun for people of all ages. I'd recommend them to anyone. For the more adult audience and card gamer i'd thoroughly recommend Cards Against Humanity although it's definitely not for those who might have a sensitive disposition or are easily offended. 

I had my daughter playing the core set only version of Magic around that age.

And let's not forget the amazing range of games you can play with only a simple fate (standard) deck.  

Are her friends playing any games?  She will love the time she spends with you, but her friends will be her primary interest driver.