Piglets for Som'er?

hussar1m

Just  few quick questions since the Bayou Boss set is (hopefully) almost on us.

How many piglets does a starting Som'er player need?  Do we know if any will be included in the Bayou Boss set?  The hog whisper box?  Is the hog whisperer a good buy, or would the slop hauler box be enough/better for a starter crew?

thanks

I like three at 50 w/ Major. Package gives you a lot of early game momentum while the summoning engine spools up. By the time they kill off the hogs I'm generically at critical mass and if they don't bother addressing the pigs the little guys can just run roughshod over most schemes.

• Like 1

I keep four in my case, but I never buy them in. When you compare them to a Bayou Gremlin, they're not quite as good value for a purchase into a crew. However, with Som'er they are easy enough to summon in (as well as netting you cards if you kill your own blokes to get them in) and are really good at holding things up in combat.

I would recommend at least a full blister of piglets. Lenny can summon them fairly easily with Som'er providing the required suit. If starting Som'er I would also recommend at least another blister of Bayou Gremlins, a blister of Slop Haulers, a Hog Whisperer and also at least an additional Skeeter (though you could easily have many more if you choose). That will provide a solid start and emphasize the strengths of the "vanilla" M2E crew box.

Pigs should be a much more viable choice once the Avatars are finalized, though if you really want to run pigs Ulix and his crew will probably always be the go to guys.

As was mentioned the big attraction for piglets with Som'er is to further increase mobility (or feed the pigapult).

• 2 weeks later...

It depends on the scheme and strategy, they have survivability that most of Somers crew can't offer.

Their also expanded as an option by Lenny.

I tend to field two and a war pig, the often ruin my friends' day.

I use them both as a diversion, they can make useful tarpits, the "truffles" area bonus.

If you keep them on one flank with a warpig and hog whisperer they draw alot of attention which can be a good thing especially if one of your slop haulers assists them while the other tends to somers summons.

• 2 weeks later...

I tend to run 3-4 with a Hog Whisperer, and a War Pig.  I Sometimes run more, depending on schemes and strategies.

Remember, if within 6" of a Hog Whisperer, they drop a Scheme Token when they die.  Sometimes I'll race them toward the center and let them die to take line in the sand.  Then I use Bayou Gremlins and other models to them from being removed.  They also work well for the schemes where you pop a Scheme Marker at the end of a round and you get a point for all enemies within so many inches.  If the scheme marker drops from death, and it took 2-3 models to kill the pig, you can usually clean up points.

They are amazing objective runners, because of the Small special rule.  If you use Pig Feed with Somer, you can often charge in the first turn, definitely the second.  And the additional attacks can be nuts.