The Transcredible Exploits of four Malifaux Newbies

Swiglitz

Just for reference, guys, Malifaux players generally meet up on a Wednesday night at the North West Gaming Centre in Stockport (Same place as Element Games, about 8 stops of the 192 past the town centre). There is going to be between four and eight of us there tonight, should be time for us to get a short game in, or even just to ooh and aah over each other's miniatures and talk tactics.

I can't speak for the others but, rather unfortunately, I won't be able to take you up on your kind offer. I work down in Birmingham during the week and am only back up in Manchester at the weekends. :(

If I can get some time off during the week though I'd love to drop by, even if it's just to say say hi and watch a bunch of games.

So, the weekend's game.... Longest. Game. EVER!...granted, mostly down to us still learning the rules and stopping to have a natter every 5 minutes, but still.... :P

*edit*

Oooo, fellow Neverborn players.... clear something up for me, would you?

Pandora gets shot at by a Ronin, she obviously resists using Wp - does that make it an opposed Wp duel for her, and thus if she wins, it can trigger Fading Memory?  There was some discussion about that during our last game, and due to the length of the game and the heat it nearly turned into an argument, which I hate doing in friendly games (Sorry, Ant!)

I have indeed managed to not bring my notebook with me, as well as my figure case, my unrestrained joy for work and my self-respect ... Still, never mind I have coffee and other writing stuff to do. Chances are I can probably get the battle report written up using just the photo's on my phone but I'd probably miss a lot of details so I shall try to write it up over the weekend, most likely Sunday.

As for your question Steve, I'm sure you're right about Fading Memories on Pandora, just the wording had me confused compared to all the other defense abilities of a similar nature. Sorry I got a bit heated, it had been a long day, although that's no excuse really.

Anyway, I'll have a look through the photos at some point over the week and try to get a draft written if nothing else.

Toodles!

Oooo, fellow Neverborn players.... clear something up for me, would you?

Pandora gets shot at by a Ronin, she obviously resists using Wp - does that make it an opposed Wp duel for her, and thus if she wins, it can trigger Fading Memory?  There was some discussion about that during our last game, and due to the length of the game and the heat it nearly turned into an argument, which I hate doing in friendly games (Sorry, Ant!)

Not a Neverborn player, but if Pandora uses Wp, it's a Wp duel for her. If she uses Ca and the opponent uses Wp, it's no Wp duel for but a Ca duel for her. Always the stat the model uses itself.

Not a Neverborn player, but if Pandora uses Wp, it's a Wp duel for her. If she uses Ca and the opponent uses Wp, it's no Wp duel for but a Ca duel for her. Always the stat the model uses itself.

Dirial is right in this. If Pandora declares to use Wp instead of Df, it's a Wp duel for her and triggers Fading Memory as such. In this case, it would be an Sh duel for the Ronin (she shoots) and a Wp duel for Pandora. 

Remember that Incite is a Wp action, and can use Fading Memory ;)

That's pretty much what we decided on in the end. It was just the wording threw me a little, I thought it would only trigger off Incite as that was an opposed WP duel, where both sides were using WP. But it turns out I was wrong, and it would trigger any time Pandora used WP and won. We played it right in the end, but I was very confused :huh:

Good to know we got it right and it was just me being a dumbass.

So the jist of that last battle was:

- everyone wanted things dead.

- killing everything wasn't always the best thing to do.

- height 3 models (Teddy) can't fit through height 2 doors!  Makes hiding from him pretty easy though!

- my memory is terrible and I can't remember who won!

We do have another battle sceduled in for Friday.  Since its a much more chilled out weekend ahead I should think we'll be able to get a bat-rep done.  The next game is being hosted by Suvalas.

Shadowfane won, but only because he had bodyguard on Teddy and it took Suvalas until turn 6 to kill him. It was actually very close, very bloody game. Although it did boil down to both sides pretty much just running at each other and having a big fight. Not the most tactically challenging game, but good fun nevertheless.

My response to that is "Bah!" I had a freshly painted Panda-Teddy and he was getting used, damnit!

I do have a new plan for my next game though, just to try something different... although it will still involve using Pandora (I'm sticking to my guns on trying to avoid shiny butterfly syndrome!)

So, I have once again left Manchester without my notes on our last game. My life is rapidly becoming an interminable one liner from a 90's sitcom.

I other news, this week's game was substantially different from the previous week's bloodbath, with both Vaiuri and Shadowfane being slightly more Strat/scheme driven, although Pandora did spend an entire activation spamming Inflict on Sonnia and Sidir to little discernible effect, but I digress. I shall endeavor to post a battle report this weekend when I get home, preferably before we have another game.

On that note, the next battle will probably be between my good self and Suvalas so I may badger one of my erstwhile companions into writing the report on that one so I can concentrate on losing the game.

Finally, an update on the campaign rules I mentioned in an earlier post. The rules are more or less complete (in my mind) and just require me to actually put them down in some sort of comprehensible form, however, real-life writing is currently kicking my ass so any further updates may have to wait until the end of the month when I should have more free time.

I shall leave you with a recent discovery made during this week's game ... It turn's out when a Sorrow uses its 'Misery Loves Company' action it makes a noise that sounds like "Bwap". Who knew?

See you soon :)

P.S. I have updated the front post to list our current painting logs if you haven't seen them. Mine is still a work in progress *insert bad studio laughter*

In the case of McMourning vs. The Viks I'm sorry to report that the 'good' Dr won.  Strat was Reckoning, Scheme pool was LitS, Distract, Make Them Suffer, Assassinate and.... I forgot

Sebastian definately needs to die early, particularly if you have no reliable way to cleanse poison I think.

We discussed moving up to 50 stones, maybe not yet, but in the near future.

Next game is likely to be myself (Guild) vs. Suvalas (Outcasts).

I'd also like to throw down a challenge to the other guys in my group - I think we should all enter the painting competition!

To be fair to Suvalas, he did perform admirably for the first three turns or so. He used the Vic's Dragons Bite/Flight to great effect early in the game against my Flesh Construct but got some of his key models bunched up around it, allowing the Zombie Chihuahua and some prodigious Rancid Transplant and Transfusion actions to spread an awful lot of poison very quickly to his big hitters. Once I'd got the stacks moderately high by turn three I was able to start throwing expunge around and letting the induction/Catalyst combo cripple his models ready for the rest of my crew to finish off.

In retrospect I did make a couple of glaring errors. I took Distract and Line in the Sand, even though they don't fit well with Reckoning and I kept discarding low cards I should have kept for the Nurse to use as triggers for Take Your Meds, which meant she did nothing all game but look pretty.

Overall, I think it was pretty hairy for the first couple of turns, given the strat and scheme pool, Suvalas was able to get an early lead on VP's but wasn't able to overcome my poison shenanigans in the mid game to hold onto his lead.

I'm firmly in the 'moving up to 50ss' camp as I think it will give you guys more options in your crews and more ways to get rid of poisons without compromising on the cool and fluffy stuff you actually want to take. Plus I'll get to take my Rogue Necromancy!

I'm also firmly in favour of joining the painting competition, even though that would me having to actually, y'know, paint something.

For those who are interested my crew was:

Mcmourning w/ Moonlighting

Zombie Chihuahua

Sebastian w/Transfusion

Flesh Construct

Nurse

2 x Necropunk

During the game I was able to summon a second Flesh Construct and a lone Canine Remains (that actually managed to kill Taelor!)

I don't feel I have to switch masters, but I do think I've got a fairly good grip on how McMourning works and I'd like to expand into the other Resser masters. Plus, if I start learning a new master it should help put us all on a more level playing field.

And no more vexatious poison stuff. <_<