Token thoughts

So we use a lot of tokens now in Malifaux 2.0, some people find that irritating, but I don't think its much of a problem. Except when it comes to the tokens themselves. We need tokens for scrap, body parts, schemes and whatever else there is, and so the token numbers climb pretty fast.

But I have hit on a idea that might be obvious to some people. Blank tokens, blank acylic tokens. We already use whiteboard markers to mark damage, so its not much more effort to use it to mark a blank token with an appropiate symbol or word and use that instead of pawing through a stack of tokens for the one marked body part or whatever. Just draw a blank token, mark it and move on. Seems to me an elegant solution and assuming you have enough blanks you will never be short of a particular token.

The tokens available from third parties are nice, and if you want to pimp your game then I'm not stopping you, but I do believe blank tokens offer the most flexibility.

• Like 1

Speaking of the paper tokens, a friend of mine found a download for Widow Weaver Web (WWW? Hmm. I always knew there was something sinister about the internetz) markers once, but has been unable to find it again. Does anyone have a link?

Whiteboard-type markers are a staple of Warmachine, so it is certainly a sound idea. Personally I like the hobbying aspect of making my own markers though.

I thought at one time I saw someone had posted a list of every counter/marker that you needed in the name and how many of each you needed, but I can't find that list.  Anyone know where it is?

For a game that needs so many markers/counters it would be nice to have a list readily available.

• Like 1

So we use a lot of tokens now in Malifaux 2.0, some people find that irritating, but I don't think its much of a problem. Except when it comes to the tokens themselves. We need tokens for scrap, body parts, schemes and whatever else there is, and so the token numbers climb pretty fast.

But I have hit on a idea that might be obvious to some people. Blank tokens, blank acylic tokens. We already use whiteboard markers to mark damage, so its not much more effort to use it to mark a blank token with an appropiate symbol or word and use that instead of pawing through a stack of tokens for the one marked body part or whatever. Just draw a blank token, mark it and move on. Seems to me an elegant solution and assuming you have enough blanks you will never be short of a particular token.

The tokens available from third parties are nice, and if you want to pimp your game then I'm not stopping you, but I do believe blank tokens offer the most flexibility.

That's exactly what I use. I purchased mine at the FLGS and it's produced by Litko. Clear acrylic Circular 30mm 3mm thick (it comes in a thicker variant too) used for schemes, scrap and corpse tokens. I recently purchased Clear 20mm that I plan to use for Burning, Poison, Brilliance, and Blighted.

I have recently started doing something similar, where I took some 30mm bases and punched circles from a cheap-o dry erase calendar and glued them inside. Works great!

Although if Wyrd ever decided to produce faction-themed acrylic token sets, similar to Warmachine/Hordes, I'd jump all over those!

How did you punch the material out?

As a board gamer with boxes and boxes of (relatively neatly and accessibly) stored tokens, cubes and counters of various colours this has not turned out to be an issue for me. Although I'm soooo close to pulling the trigger on some Litko flame tokens as burning counters for my Mei crew.

How did you punch the material out?

I used a scrapbooking hole punch (1" I think) I found on clearance at a craft store. Figured it would be better to spend a little on that to have nice, uniform circles rather than nasty freehanded ones. 1" is slightly larger than the inside diameter of a 30mm base, but that's actually good as the dry erase junk doesn't get stuck inside the lip when you wipe them off.

I thought at one time I saw someone had posted a list of every counter/marker that you needed in the name and how many of each you needed, but I can't find that list.  Anyone know where it is?

For a game that needs so many markers/counters it would be nice to have a list readily available.

This, would like this so much. So one knows how many counters and markers to pack up in their kit before heading out for a game. Newbies would love this info.

• 3 weeks later...