Getting into the game and need advice on army selection

Vagrant

Hello,

I have decided that I will try this game out. I am not new to miniature gaming by any means, but I am looking for advice of what my first purchase should be. I am interested in playing Perdita as the Latigo Family starter has a really nice theme but after reading a lot of stuff on what is the best way to start, I am at a crux. Should I just get the Ortega family (Latigo box, Abuela, Pistolero, Executioner and Austringers) or should I go with two starters (Latigo box and Lady J box)?

To add more to this question, In this game, is it better to stick with a themed force and expand into the broader options or is it better to start with two box and then go into the themed forces?

• Like 1

Welcome to the Guild, great choice.

I started with just the Lady J box, along with three others who also just bought a starter box. We played some 35 soulstone games and it was a good way to get to grips with the system before expanding the army. We then added one or two other boxes so we were at 50 soulstones and expanded from there.

So I'd say buy one master box you like and play some games, then see where you want to go with the faction.

Also Vagrant Story - best Square game.

Welcome. 

Its hard to give one answer as right. You can certainly play the game only using 1 master and just expanding the options for that master, but most people do expand into several of the masters from a faction (since they all draw from the same hiring pool) and it can be fairly cost effective. 

Some of this will depend on budget. If you don't have a huge budget, then buying a little at a time, and working out what you feel you crew needs then buyign that and so forth can work really well. You don't need to have too many options, especially as you learn the game, but the more you play it, the more you are likely to want to expand. 

I would suggest not buying a box of figures that come in a master box unless you are completely sure you don'e ever want that master, because there aren't many models in the game that you want 2 boxes worth. 

So my actual advice is Just buy the perdita box and play a few games with that. You can then start to look at what you might want to expand, so possibly buying the rest of the family, or a new master to increase your crew variety

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Vagrant said:

Hello,

I have decided that I will try this game out. I am not new to miniature gaming by any means, but I am looking for advice of what my first purchase should be. I am interested in playing Perdita as the Latigo Family starter has a really nice theme but after reading a lot of stuff on what is the best way to start, I am at a crux. Should I just get the Ortega family (Latigo box, Abuela, Pistolero, Executioner and Austringers) or should I go with two starters (Latigo box and Lady J box)?

To add more to this question, In this game, is it better to stick with a themed force and expand into the broader options or is it better to start with two box and then go into the themed forces?

Welcome to Malifaux and the Guild.

I would always go with the rule of cool when starting a new game system, so if it is the ascetics of The Latigo Posse box that has drawn you in then that is most defiantly were you should start.  Until you have got to grips with the game.

You do get some great models in that box and even when you expand your guild out you will still find yourself pulling models from this box in for your games regardless of future Masters.

• Like 2

Hi. I just started the journey into Malifaux too. 

My advice to you is to take it easy, and don’t think about winning games at the moment. Get the models that makes you want to paint, and that conveys a coherent theme. Then get those models table ready and learn how to play. 

You’ll lose, ‘cause older players have more experience with the mechanics and a wider model collection to tailor their game anyway. So just tale your licks, while you learn and find your playstyle. 

My initial purchase involved the Latigo Posse, Austringers and the Peacekeeper. They looked to have a good theme, lots of guns and then a big scary melee beater for variation. The only thing I should have included in that order was the Brutal Effigy - its a given in most Guild Lists. 

- since then the collection has grown with all Lady J’s marshalls - and I’m looking to top it up with Doctor McMurder and friends. 

11 hours ago, Regelridderen said:

My advice to you is to take it easy, and don’t think about winning games at the moment. Get the models that makes you want to paint, and that conveys a coherent theme. Then get those models table ready and learn how to play. 

You’ll lose, ‘cause older players have more experience with the mechanics and a wider model collection to tailor their game anyway. So just tale your licks, while you learn and find your playstyle. 

My initial purchase involved the Latigo Posse, Austringers and the Peacekeeper. They looked to have a good theme, lots of guns and then a big scary melee beater for variation. The only thing I should have included in that order was the Brutal Effigy - its a given in most Guild Lists. 

My competitive gaming days are long over so I just play for fun mostly. I just wanted to be get models to be able to play a 50ss game and I will be making this one purchase. I think I am going to go with the full Latigo Posse theme for the rule of cool. I've already decided to name the Pistolero for the jokes no but me and my best friend will get. I have not read up on the Brutal effigy too much but I have seen it posted a bunch.

Thank you.

• Like 2