Cheap Beast Activations.

WWHSD

I'm looking over some options for Marcus and looking towards what Beasts I may want to add. I figure that if I do my thinking out loud in a post someone will probably mention something that I hadn't considered.

3 points

Malifaux Raptors
- Can't drop scheme markers and don't count towards a lot of schemes.
- They are good at engaging models to deny scoring. Can end up anywhere that they are needed at the end of the turn.
- All Arcanists can use them.

Guild Hounds
-Being minions allows them to count for scoring in some schemes and strats.
-Paired they can stop being insignificant
-Fast anti-schemer (16 inch threat range against an enemy near a scheme marker)
-Works with Guild, McCabe, Lucius

Corrupted Hound
- Being minions allows them to count for scoring in some schemes and strats.
- Paired they can stop being insignificant.
- :+fate on out of activation actions has synergy with Pack Leader.
- Black Blood can do a bit of extra damage but is some that needa to be accounted for since it will affect friendly models.
- Works with Neverborn

Night Terror
-Being minions allows them to count for scoring in some schemes and strats.
- Insignificant
- Easy to hit but can be tough to kill.
- Can interfere with shooters and scheme runners.
- Works with Ressers

4 points

Molemen 
-Minions and significant.
- Can be tough to kill and shift.
-Normally slow but can use friendly scheme marks to move quickly.
- All Arcanists can use them.

Piglet
- Minions and significant.
- Forced triggers and charges make them kind of unreliable for scoring and denying points.
- Works with Gremlins

Gupps
- Minion and significant
- Leap that works on any Mask.
- Has some additional synergy if Waldegeists or other Siliurids are in crew.
- Works with Neverborn and Zoraida 

Canine Remains
- Minion and significant.
- Can make give targets the Beast keyword and lower Wp
- Reduces Df of nearby enemies.
- Works with Ressers and Levi

I'm leaning towards either Guild Hounds or Canine Remains. The Guild Hounds will do a better job of cheaply boosting the number of activations and can work as anti-schemers. Caninie remains are a bit more expensive but can scheme independently or provide some nice debuffing and utility for the rest of a Marcus crew. 

I probably need to eventually pick up some Raptors but I can't really see using more than one of them in most cases. 

What do you want out of your cheap beast activation? Hounds are great if you're worried about outactivation. 4 models for 12ss is A Nice Thing. Canine Remains have the massive advantage of actually functioning even when you take just one.

You can justify either so it really comes down to taste and playstyle preference in my mind. I went with hounds, really happy with that choice. Might pick up Canine Remains at some point too though.

2 hours ago, Nikodemus said:

What do you want out of your cheap beast activation?

Mostly boosting the activation count to make up for bringing some of the more expensive models that I have while being able to get some scheming done for myself or to mess with my opponent's scheme runners. 

I really like the idea of Blade and Claw on someone like Joss with quick disposable beasts that can either take his place to keep a target engaged while he goes to deal with something else or that he can swap in for to deliver a kill hit.   

A good compromise I use with Marcus is 2 Guild Hounds and a Canine Remain *sometimes 2*.  The Canine Remain have the Hound Characteristic so Guild Hounds can interact when they are within 5".  This gives 3 activations for 10ss or 4 for 14ss.  Combined with the Jackalope you have a pretty good stockpile of activations.  This way you can mix and match with the hounds for what you need at the time such as; Canine Remain moves forward 6" and drops a Scheme marker near an enemy, Guild Hound companion activates and 1 AP charge for 3 attacks.  Or Canine Remain charges someone near a scheme marker first then the Guild Hounds can shoot across by moving once then 1 AP charge the target with their 17" threat and thanks to Canine remain's aura they are at -1 Def.

• Like 3

I just come back from testing out marcus and what i can tell you is that raptors are REALLY worth their points. They are insignificant and with the new errata mechanized production isn't as useful anymore, but boy, attacking your own NON Beast models to let them become beasts or attack an enemy in turn 2 after they were placed ANYWHERE on the battlefield is worth the cost! Even better with hunger cry they really ROCK! Moleman can be awesome, but as soon as someone challenges them in WP, it can be difficult. Staying near marcus to get the buff is key. When the get attacked in melee, they really can take some hits! Like them :)