Competitive Resser builds

catbat07

Ah, Ressers. Quickly becoming my favourite faction, the good 'ol zombies are full of interesting combos and tricks. However, in the competitive GG17 environment, they're gonna need more than that to survive (probably). So what are some of your favourite lists to bring to tournaments? Of course they can vary depending on strats and schemes, but is there anything similar to the Molly/Mortimer combo?

Would love to hear your thoughts.

Lists are typically a bad idea in this game because you will only know your board and schemes a few minutes before the game begins. Those will drastically change what is worth taking and what should be considered. That said, Ressers can 'prebuild' more than most factions, since some of our deficiencies can be mitigated through summoning and because a summoning engine usually revolves around a core set of models anyway

Lately I've been practising Nicodem, and working on a control/poison list (when boards and schemes deem it appropriate). The idea is to maximise movement with Fresh Meat+Crooligan and Lures to position my team early, then control enemy movement with additional Lures and Shards. Anything exposed to me will be hosed in poison then beaten up by Shikome. Carrion Conflux makes Lures and Corrupted Peacekeeper harder to deal with.

Nicodem + Undertaker + Maniacal Laugh + 7ss Cache
Mortimer + My Little Helper + Corpse Bloat
Carrion Emissary + Carrion Conflux
Crooligan
Rotten Belle
Rotten Belle
Guild Autopsy
Guild Autopsy or Graveyard Spirit, depending on whether I think I'm likely to get to play aggressively or have to play defensively. 

I definitely prebuild lists as a resser, I think the notion that every list needs to be built on the spot hinders game play, especially in timed competitive environments. I use CrewFaux to build lists with general concepts in mind. Then when a similar pool is generated, I can make adjustments as required. 

Since Malifaux is a skill game, being practiced with a sub-optimal list is better than having the perfect list but not using it correctly.

Now that my opinion is out of the way, I'll share some lists like you asked 😁

50 SS Resurrectionists Crew
Molly + 6 Pool
 - Forgotten Life (1)
 - Spare Parts (2)
Philip and the Nanny (8)
 - Haunting Cries (0)
Madame Sybelle (8)
 - Not Too Banged Up (1)
 - Corpse Bloat (2)
Yin The Penangalan (8)
 - My Little Helper (1)
Dead Doxy (6)
Rotten Belle (5)
Rotten Belle (5)

(exported from CrewFaux)

I like this list is Guard the Stash or Extraction where the opponent will bubble up for Molly. The rotten belles can pull opponents out of position to prevent them scoring as well. A rotten belle can be swapped for a nurse to help neutralize a big beater if that might be a problem. 

1 hour ago, Gypsey said:

I definitely prebuild lists as a resser, I think the notion that every list needs to be built on the spot hinders game play, especially in timed competitive environments. I use CrewFaux to build lists with general concepts in mind. Then when a similar pool is generated, I can make adjustments as required. 

Since Malifaux is a skill game, being practiced with a sub-optimal list is better than having the perfect list but not using it correctly.

It seems like there's also a lot of value in having a few crew cores that have about 35ish points that don't really change much with the remaining points use to fine tune to the pool or enemy.

That has a lot of the advantages of familiarity that come from using a fixed list while still retaining most of the flexibility of building a new squad on the fly everytime.

3 hours ago, Gypsey said:

I agree, to a certain extent. I have core crews for specific tasks saved on crewfaux as well, but since the actual boards I play on, opponent and deployment type influence my choices so much, it's rarely more than 30-35ss. 

I think it's because some of the boards in my meta are absolutely drenched in severe terrain while others are full of enormous buildings, so even my most flexible lists wouldn't cope with all board types. Different metas (and literally different boards) yield a different approach to list creation.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...