Marcus, what beasts do you reach for and why?

Deggiera

Hi there, I'm about to start collecting Malifaux and I am drawn to Marcus I have tried to stat collecting once before but I took a sudden life to the face :')

The reason I'm here is to steal a little understanding and maybe see some patterns from Marcus players which I can use to make informed future purchases.

My first order yesterday was Claw and fang box, Dawn serpent, blessed of december, canine remains and some malifaux raptors. these choices where based on aesthetics and some minor influence from what i have read so far. also my narrow understand makes me think the next logical progression from here is waldghiests then a Zoridia box for the silurids and for another avenue to peruse once I feel like i need a change of pace. thus far that is the limit of my current understanding of what I'm actually doing 

So i guess my biggest question is, what models do you feel drawn to for each scheme, and briefly why? I appreciate any and all comments on the matter be it "meta" or not.

Thanks for your time, and hope to hear from you!

Deggiera

When I run Marcus, I normally take two of the following: a Sabertooth Cerberus, a Rogue Necromancy, or Blessed of December (Luther).

i then add Myranda, a Canine Remains, a Hoarcat Pride, and (of course) a Jackalope. Depending on the schemes & strategy, I might switch in a shooting model (most likely December Acolyte or Silent One) or possibly a Razorspine Rattler.

ah nice so you like symmetry in between the big guys ^^

i like how neat a list looks with some symmetry but at the same time i don't think i could deal with it in this game as they have one pose D:

which also shines some light on the fact i need to go check the internet on how to repose a sabertooth ^^

yeah was wondering if i should get zoridia or rogue necro for my next £20-30 box but that wont be till at least next month, initial investment was fairly big, i mean the crews are cheap but once u have tools, cutting mats battlefoam bags paints brushes spray paints basing materials and a verity of glues it adds up ^^

4 hours ago, Deggiera said:

ah nice so you like symmetry in between the big guys ^^

i like how neat a list looks with some symmetry but at the same time i don't think i could deal with it in this game as they have one pose D:

which also shines some light on the fact i need to go check the internet on how to repose a sabertooth ^^

I think the OP may have been saying that a Marcus list has 2 of these 3 models in it.

Pretty sure the Blessed is rare 1, so you can't have 2 of them... 

It would be hard to repose a Cerberus, but you conceivably might have 2 in a list. I painted one of mine grey and one brown to differentiate them. 

For Marcus, Molemen & Silurids is a nice combo. You can buy Silurids on their own, no need for the Swamp Mother box set. 

but i'm the op :(

didn't know blessed was a "rare" well tbf its the first time ive heard there are rares in the game, i mean i had assumed there where uniques due to named chars ^^

yeah could get the silurids on their own, but if im getting waldgheists and silurids anyway at some point i may aswell get the hag and have a 2nd option ^^

1 hour ago, Deggiera said:

but i'm the op :(

didn't know blessed was a "rare" well tbf its the first time ive heard there are rares in the game, i mean i had assumed there where uniques due to named chars ^^

yeah could get the silurids on their own, but if im getting waldgheists and silurids anyway at some point i may aswell get the hag and have a 2nd option ^^

"Uniques" are "Rare 1". It should be listed on the line under the name on the stat card where stuff like "living", "construct", etc are found.

Upgrade cards can also have a rarity level. It's listed at the bottom of the card.

I would probably recommend a fair chunk of your initial purchase as your starting point. My next suggestion would be to play with what you have and decide form there where you think you struggle. (OH and buy the generalist Upgrade deck. I normally used several general Arcanist upgrades) 

If you want scheming modes, then Silurids are awesome (but expensive), molemen are cheaper, but less mobile on their own. Wind gamin, performers and ice dancers are also things to look at unless you are strictly just wanting to play models with beast. 

If you want more durable beasts, then Walgigiests are good, but there are plenty of other options for models that are hard to remove, from the simple Steam arachnid, to Carlos.

If you want another big hitter, then the rogue necromancy is an option, but I'm not sure how different it is to the dawn serpent.

You might well find that you really like the cerberus, and want to get a second one, and thats certainly viable. I've played lists with 3 of them, but I wouldn't recommend getting a second until you've tried out what they do. 

As you can see when I play Marcus I don't just restrict myself to beasts. You certainly can do so, but you don't have to. 

I have a fixed pool event report here where I talk a little about what I pick and why. I wouldn't recommend getting everything in my pool to start with, because I picked 1 of models because I had the choice to have variety, but it does at least give some ideas as to ways you can go. Marcus comes with lots of different options and ways to play him. My way is different to a lot of people, so you might not like that style, in which case ignore my advice and try playign him the way you enjoy

http://themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/topic/125675-lost-love-2017-a-pool-event/