Suidical Voodoo Doll

Lost Bunny

Question

That damn Voodoo Doll!

Hi just wanted to check because I can't seem to find an answer...

My buddy and I have been playing a few games recently where he's been trialling his Zoraider crew... the most frustrating thing I've found about going up against this crew is the Voodoo Doll. I understand and quite like the concept of the Voodoo Doll but through his devious cleverness my buddy uses it with devastating results.

His signature move is to summon a Voodoo Doll on a high building (at least 3" or more), using "Hem" to pass on "Sewn Fate" to my minions and then have the Voodoo Doll throw itself off the building causing massive damage without giving me a chance to defend it. He recently added in Will O' Wisps (which can start anywhere in the board due to an upgrade) so he can do this twice a turn (due to the Will O' Wisp's tactical action) and from very early in the game. 

I guess my questions are:

1) Can the "Sewn Fate" condition be removed?

2) Can Voodoo dolls target the same person multiple times in a turn (ie if the doll is summoned again in the same turn can he hem himself to the poor soul that he did previously)?

3) Do self inflicted wounds count (from actively choosing to fall off a building) when passing on damage?

I suspect it's a perfectly valid move but wanted to see people's opinions because it doesn't seem to have come up from any of my research...

6 answers to this question

1. Yes, all conditions can be removed unless they say otherwise. There's no rule that forbids removal of Sewn Fate. In particular, it is removed automatically if the Voodoo Doll leaves play or takes the Hem action again.

2. Yes, there is no restriction on hemming a model that was already hemmed by an old Voodoo Doll. It is also not considered the same model when it is resummoned.

3. Yes, all damage on the doll is transferred to enemies with the Sewn Fate condition, regardless of the source. The only exception is that it doesn't transfer any excess wounds if it takes more damage than it has wounds left - if it has 3 wounds left and takes 5 damage, the hemmed enemy will only take 3 damage.

It's worth remembering that you need Line of Sight to summon even if it doesn't specify in the action or ability, so Zoraida/Wisps will need to be summoning the doll in a position with LoS. Also bear in mind that the Wisps have a range restriction and must be within 10" and LoS of Zoraida to copy the doll summon action even if they can start anywhere due to Hexed Among You

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bengt said:

You can defend against Hem, it's a normal attack action. Sure Ca 7 is higher than your typical 5-6 Wp, but that doesn't make it inevitable.

Yeah of course, though he keeps and uses his hand well! It was more about all the damage jumping from buildings post successful hem that I can't do anything about!

But worry not though I have devised a voodoo battle plan!!

6 hours ago, Lost Bunny said:

His signature move is to summon a Voodoo Doll on a high building (at least 3" or more), using "Hem" to pass on "Sewn Fate" to my minions and then have the Voodoo Doll throw itself off the building causing massive damage without giving me a chance to defend it.

You can defend against Hem, it's a normal attack action. Sure Ca 7 is higher than your typical 5-6 Wp, but that doesn't make it inevitable.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lost Bunny said:

Yeah of course, though he keeps and uses his hand well! It was more about all the damage jumping from buildings post successful hem that I can't do anything about!

But worry not though I have devised a voodoo battle plan!!

Remember that he has spent 2 Master Ap to summon it, so 6 damage from 2 master AP is not so tough (And I very rarely see 6" buildings, lo its probably 3 damage on its first activation) . (and when he goes wisp style, look at removing them quickly if you are worried about the doll)

Not all boards will contain Ht 3+ buildings in good spots. Whilst I'm not saying build a board to screw up his game, you may well find that some boards will favour some tactics that don't work on others.  Armour and soulstone prevention will still apply. 

• Like 1

On 6/28/2017 at 1:13 AM, Adran said:

Remember that he has spent 2 Master Ap to summon it, so 6 damage from 2 master AP is not so tough (And I very rarely see 6" buildings, lo its probably 3 damage on its first activation) . (and when he goes wisp style, look at removing them quickly if you are worried about the doll)

Not all boards will contain Ht 3+ buildings in good spots. Whilst I'm not saying build a board to screw up his game, you may well find that some boards will favour some tactics that don't work on others.  Armour and soulstone prevention will still apply. 

Not necessarily, the Wisps can do it as a (1) action if within 10" of Zoraida, giving a huge threat range with it.  At least 1 Wisp is almost an autoinclude for Zoraida crews.