Engagement, Charge and Line of Sight Questions

Lokibri

Question

Hello folks,

so yesterday we had a pretty intense, long and exhausting game and there were some questions that came up, we couldn't answer or were to tired to resolve. I will post the situation and after that what i think the resolution would be.

Situation 1: Engagement

A War Pig is within 3'' of "The Thorn" which has a melee attack of 3''. The War Pig has a attack of 1'' but is further away than this 1''.

Question: What is the War Pig allowed to do? And may it even charge "The Thorn"?

Resolution: The War Pig is engaged with the Thorn, but cannot attack "The Thorn". Still both count as "engaged" and the War Pig is not allowed to take the Charge Action against this model. It can walk towards Thorn and take a melee Action, as it doesnt leave the engagement. It may use a disengaging stike to walk away and charge her than (given all other factors allow it).

Situation 2: Charging

A Piglet is forced to charge as an action, because Ulix was killed by a charge of that Piglet with its first AP. The Piglet then chooses to charge a model that is about 7'' away. With the 1''left to charge, the liglet decides to go the extra 1'' to land directly beneath her target (on the right side) allowing the piglet to "bind" another model, that is now directly in front of it.

Question: Is the piglet allowed to do so?

Resolution: The piglet is allowed to do so, because it is still charging in a straight line and ends its activation within melee range of her original target, fulfilling all necessary requirements.

Situation 3: Drawing LoS

A HT2 Model wants to cast a a Height 1 model. In the middle between them there is another HT1/2/3 model. No Line of sight can be drawn, without crossing the one model in the model. There is no elevation and it all is happening on normal ground (HT0).

Question: When is it possible for the HT2 modle to take any action that requires LoS?

Resolution: In no case there is such an option, because there cannot be drawn a LoS between the activated model and its target without crossing the other models base, no matter its HT, because the rules state, that those Lines are drawn from a "top down" view.

Thanks for the help and i hope we resolved it correctly. :D

5 answers to this question

You got 2 and 2/3rds right. 

Situation 1

You are right, the war pig is engaged so can not charge (or do interacts that don't target an enemy or do :ranged actions). It also isn't subject to set er off.

Its worth noting that the Thorn couldn't charge anything either as it is engaged as well, although the war pig couldn't stop it walking away as it has no valid attacks to use as a disengaging strike. 

Situation 2

Yes. You have to charge in a staight line, but as long as you end engaged with the target you can choose any straight line you like. (Just to say that unless you have a rule to allow it, you can't pass through other models so you won't be ablt to end directly behind the target, but you can end behind it. I think thats what you meant anyway its just a little unclear)

Sitaution 3

The Ht of the acting model, target, and intervening objects can effect whether or
not the acting model has LoS. If the blocking object (terrain or model) between the
Attacker and target has Ht lower than the Attacker or target’s Ht, then the blocking
object is ignored for LoS quality (but not cover)  (Rules manula page 42)

So a Ht1 model can be shot over, but not a ht 2 or 3 in your example. The same is true if its a Ht1 model shooting a Ht2 model. 

• Like 1

Thank you very much for your input.

Just to clarify some of the questions that came up with your answers:

@1: So a walk in and attack is still possible as i want to attack thorn?

@2: If my model was one with "incorporeal" i can end behind a model while charging?

@3: So if EITHER model has a bigger Ht than the blocking model/object it is possible to shoot above their heads? Whether it is from low to high or the other way around?

And one quick other question:

When Ulix got 1 Wd lft and wants to use Proper Care, is he allowed to do so? And if he is allowed, can he do a dmg prevention flip for 1 Soulstone?

Thank you so much for your help :D.

55 minutes ago, Lokibri said:

@1: So a walk in and attack is still possible as i want to attack thorn?

@2: If my model was one with "incorporeal" i can end behind a model while charging?

@3: So if EITHER model has a bigger Ht than the blocking model/object it is possible to shoot above their heads? Whether it is from low to high or the other way around?

And one quick other question:

When Ulix got 1 Wd lft and wants to use Proper Care, is he allowed to do so? And if he is allowed, can he do a dmg prevention flip for 1 Soulstone?

Thank you so much for your help :D.

1. Yes, the War Pig can still walk in and attack the Thorn, but obviously that will cost 2AP and only get a single attack.

2. Yes. If your model has Incorporeal, Flight, or Diving Charge, or if the model you want to charge through is Incorporeal, you can charge right through them and end on the other side.

3. Correct. When determining LoS between two models you look at whichever of those two is taller, then ignore anything with lower Ht. LoS always goes both ways.

Bonus Q: Yes, you're allowed to use actions that will kill you unless they specifically state you can't use them on low Wds (I think there are a couple like that, but Proper Care isn't one). You could still use a Soulstone for prevention but you would need to flip moderate or better for Ulix to survive.

Lets see

1 Yes, if you are engaged you are allowed to walk. And as long as your walk doesn't leave their engagement range, they can't stop you. So you can walk up to thorn and then hit him with the second Ap, Or walk up to another model without leaving thorns 3" range, and hit that. 

2 Yes, Incorporeal, flight, Augmented jump and other such abilities that allow you to ignore a model whilst moving would allow you to move "through"  the base.  Otherwise you can run past on 1 side. . 

3 Yes, LOS is a two way thing. So it doesn't matter if you are taller than the object or that your target is taller than the object, just as long as one of you is taller you can both see each otehr

4 You can damage prevent anytime you are taking damage, so that one is fine. I am not so sure on the exact timing on proper care, but I think that you are killed and removed from the table before you determine what is in the 6" pulse. So you can announce it whilst on 1 wound, try and prevent the damage, and if you prevent enough damage then you don't get removed as killed and can then heal pigs in 6".

Okay, guys and girls.

Thank you very much for your great help!

All questions solved in a proper and nice way! Thank you so much for your sincere help and i am glad you are here to help us out :D.

This topic can be closed or marked as solved (if you do something like that here).

Thank you so much!

See you in the Bayou :D