things to think about when in pregame stage

dannydb

So fairly new player to the game still learning the ropes and expanding my collection 

one of this I'm kind of interested in is how much tailoring you do when building a list depending on  announce fraction- I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to almost exclusively play arcanists for a number of reasons and have bought a number of masters to complement this (karies, ironsides, mei feng, rasputina and sandeep currently, also have ramos's box but mostly for howard and joss rather than to play ramos and his spider factory)  however just wondering how much thought I should put in to choosing master depending on what my opponent is bringing, e.g if my opponent is declared neverborn, how much weight do I put behind rasputina hoping that they go for a wp based 'attack' strategy and thus counter this 

in the same vein to this, what are the fractions real strengths- for example as said above Neverborn to my understanding tend to attack willpower rather than defence with lots of lores, I've heard never to bring armour vs outcasts, Vs ressers conditions, constructs rather than living models and corpse marker removal but what about the other fractions

lastly I'm hoping to start playing more strategies and schemes games rather than just kill everything. Are there any Schemes that are almost impossible to do together? are there certain schemes that if the come up should be almost auto picked and a list built around (e.g if one of the Schemes is bodyguard and the strategy is turf war, do I just make a list of ironsides, joss, 3 mages with all warding runes and wards and march up to the middle of the board and beat faces? etc) 

hope this all makes sense and thanks in advance!

Practiced production on a showgirl and a raptor make most marker schemes trivial for any arcanist. 

I hardly ever tailor towards opposing faction but if you know the master it can be huge. In factions with a lot of defensive triggers I may feel tempted to include a model that ignores those but that is only assuming that I have schemes were I want to kill stuff. I think it is a lot more important to figure out how to deny the actual schemes than to tailor for factions. If you can remove enemy markers it doesn't matter which model they use to drop them for example.

I haven't played the original schemes in forever but bodyguard and protect territory are almost done without trying if you take the mechanical rider. That is the single most boring/broken scheme combo in the game.

I would advice to start playing with schemes in your games after the first 20ssgame where you learned how to flip. From game two onwards you need schemes because they are what makes Malifaux into Malifaux. You can kill a huge number if enemy models and not score a single point yourself but actually give them points through doing it. Learning that is the important bit.

I don't really pick my masters or crews to face set factions. Sure, there can be several Neverborn who paralyse models, so playing frozen heart will reduce them, but they don't help with the other wp attacks.

You really should play with the strategies and schemes. A lot of models have value in their ability to do things other than kill, and if you're just killing, you really won't see a lot of their power.

I don't think there are any combination of schemes that are impossible to do, likewise there aren't any  that are auto suceed. (For example, using the mech rider and doing  bodyguard and protect territory works unless your opponent has a good answer to the mech rider. Should they , for example, launch a sabertooth cerberus at it on turn 2, and kill it thanks to the Maul trigger, you really need a plan B to score protect since you are down 3 from bodyguard). 

Build your lists and have plans how the models can do any of the schems, as there will eb times you plan to do assasinate, or murder protogee, and discpover that you can't do it becauyse the modle they have is unkillable (Leveticus or Bad juju fpor example).