Unassembled option for backers?

solkan

@JDAntoine and @RedHood

I think both are very valid points...

Whilst I am in the hobbyist camp the idea of having to assemble entire units of figures before being able to play would delay game time by many months...on the other hand trying to clean up preassembled minis that I haven't seen close up makes me wonder how hard painting them will be...whilst there will be stunning examples of painted models I can imagine a lot of basecoat and basic wash armies being fielded

Ultimately because it is designed as a fast moving game I think that being able to play straight from the box will work to its advantage as in the long run the collectors and hobbyists will probably end up buying extra units to paint whilst learning the game in grey plastic 

• Like 2

@Burnin' Coal

The only reason as to why I feel most pre-assembled miniature games don't catch on is because of the rules and/or licences involved. As the examples I remember the clearest:

- World of Warcraft the miniature game still heavily favoured 'collecting' models which where part of a blisterpack series which gave a random model outcome (I believe). There certainly where some good starter boxes but the game fell flat because it's rules design wasn't anything to write home about.
- Heroclix still excists and draws the attention of many young possible gamer, again the rules arn't that amazing.
- X-Wing is doing INCREDIBLY well but is also limited to it's Star Wars licence. While that licence goes deep I cannot imagne the game being part of the hobby in 10 years orso (sorry SW fans, we same the same with Lord of the Rings, licences die).

The Other Side brings a whole new aspect in a game that totally belongs to Wyrd with a setting that totally belongs to Wyrd. There will be Malifaux overlap and likewise we will see overlap from TOS into Malifaux. This all reinforces their own brand which in turns allows for a whole new chapter in the Wyrd miniatures book.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, JDAntoine said:

The Other Side brings a whole new aspect in a game that totally belongs to Wyrd with a setting that totally belongs to Wyrd. There will be Malifaux overlap and likewise we will see overlap from TOS into Malifaux. This all reinforces their own brand which in turns allows for a whole new chapter in the Wyrd miniatures book.

You nailed it...for me the overlap is the key to my interest in TOS...Court Of Two,The Syndicate and whatever else is lurking on Wyrd's planning desk...meantime I get to use Doomseekers,Broken and ECB Black Ops...feels like winning :)

• Like 2

@JDAntoine Heroclix (I am so happy that one survived, Ioved the clix idea when I first saw Mage Knight and I was not a gamer then) and X-Wing are lower buy-in. How's SW:Armada doing where you are? That's a closer match to an Other Side allegiance box.

There have been enough board game minis painted in this household (Descent, Cthulhu Wars, etc.) that the idea of painting pre-assembled is no shock at all.

@Gnomezilla I believe HeroClix to be part of WotC ergo Hasbro? In any case SW Armada is not played locally as far as I know. X-wing or FFG products are reasonably popular. Cashhammer locally is played the most, logically because its also distributed the most.

Preasambled is no shock here either. Enough KS products here who run on the same basis altough since its one-piece caster usually also not the best quality.

Quality however is valued differently per customer. Not all gamers are hobbiests and not all hobbiests are gamers. 

There is a lot about TOS I love, balance and ease of play (in all) is its biggest pro. I do however believe that in order for this game to really go next level players do want more scenic models. 

Perhaps someone can inform me as to why Wyrd seemingly took one step back from the awesomeness that is Death Marshals? On the other hand I believe @Aaron said that they took a step back from some KE concepts?

@JDAntoine To be fair I don't think they've stepped back much from the awesome Death Marshalls...If anything IMHO the renders for TOS are in many cases both dynamic and intricate to a level that matches or surpasses some of the most elaborate of Malifaux models (for example the Goryo models)....I think that because the TOS figures need to sit flat in movement trays the overall height of the minis may need to be moderated to a small degree...

But even the single visual for Court Of Two promises great things....talk of "Ghost Armies" - great things await