Basing Oblivion

AllistorPreist

Not that I have some idea how to build Tara's crew (WiP) I need to start thinking about bases. Since Malifaux is a smaller (model countwise) I really want to get everything based. Criid and the Hoff are easy (imho) because I will be doing paver stones, dirt, and fire or wreckage as available. But Tara has had a rough time, she deserves something nice. I would like to move past wild west, or even wild-west Cthulhu and come up with (or even buy if something really grabs me)  something that really says Oblivion from across the table.

Any thoughts or even stuff others have tried?

I'm using fine sand with jagged pieces of slate and various bits and bobs poking out of the ground to represent the wasteland of Oblivion. I'll paint the slate like soulstone and have the sand a grey/brown waste land. Something a little similar to this which is being used for a 40k Necron army I found via Google-Fu. 

Necron%2520Crystal%2520Base%2520finished

Slightly stale topic but you can also use the plastic cements out there (ask or search around for a good one that won't cause frosting) to coat the sprue pieces and then you should be able to wiggle them around as you please.

Another thing to do if you want a tapered end is an old model hobby trick of sprue + open flame, put it close enough to soften the plastic via heat (dunno if you can use other heat sources btw), but not close enough to catch fire or blacken from the soot,  and slowly pull the sprue piece apart. This create a longer, thinner piece that we'd make antennae with but with the plastic cement tip above you should be able to make even more numerous tentacley bits of sprue weirdness.

I actually used stinkmunk's bases as the inspiration for my oblivion bases... used cork and chain, pics here:

http://junkyardsamuraigames.blogspot.com/2015/02/malifaux-herald-of-obliteration-crew.html

also did a quick tutorial on how i did the bases, here:

http://junkyardsamuraigames.blogspot.com/2015/02/tutorial-floating-bases-with-chains.html

with a hobby lobby coupon you can base the whole lot for just over $10.00

• 3 weeks later...

I was thinking an oil slick/void thing on the base which each model is coming out of. Kinda like the mirror scene in the matrix. Not sure how to do this though.

You should do this. Sounds awesome. And once you are done, you should post pictures. 

I know it sounds awesome, just a bit intimidating to try and do it.

I hear you but you totally should. That's how you learn. :D 

There's a guy in the forums tinfoil I reckon? Doing a really insane Lilith conversions and keeps going over the top from his own recollection but the results are superb. :) 

Assimilation, I'd suggest looking into testors's enamel car paint line- think they have some good viscous/metallic options.

Also, not a big fan of hobby lobby after their political spotlight... it's not like they carry anything unique or rare, so I'd just look at the local hobby/craft store... bonus points, you can support local business.