5 Models Every Ten Thunderist Should Have

zFiend

Have you been using the Wastrels outside of McCabe? I struggle to see a use for them without being able to give them upgrades.

I use wastrels with most of my masters mainly becasue I like the models but for 4SS they are decent modles with good shooting and MI attacks and help pad out your activation.

With Mcabe I normally do not give the upgrades to the Wastrels, just never seems to come up.

I use wastrels with most of my masters mainly becasue I like the models but for 4SS they are decent modles with good shooting and MI attacks and help pad out your activation.

With Mcabe I normally do not give the upgrades to the Wastrels, just never seems to come up.

I feel I often end up with too few models so perhaps I should try squeezing them in more often. I have been forgetting about the :+fate  to their shooting...

Bravado is so good when they're toting an upgrade.

I did a bit of analysis on these, and the aggregate top five is as follows (the number in brackets is the amount of votes that the model received):

1. Chiaki the Niece 11

2. Tengu 9

2. Kang 9

4. Ten Thunders Brother 8

4. Illuminated 8

4. Toshiro 8

In total, 21 people cast their votes for a top five. If someone gave more than one vote for a given model, I discounted the extra votes. I also skipped votes for Mercs or other non-faction minis.

There's some further notes in the Resser thread which should be taken into account (the availability of the models and their roles):

http://wyrd-games.ne...-five/?p=768658

It's interesting that Chiaki the Niece didn't make top five in the Resser side and neither did Toshiro. On the flip side, TT appreciates the Illuminated less than the Neverborn do and, epecially, Izamu far less than the Ressers (it got only two votes on the TT side).

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

Although you discussed this quite a while back, I dare say the way I see things is somewhat different from most. For me it would be:

1. Pathfinder (+Clockwork Traps) - the one model that can deploy upfield, throw some clockwork traps to annoy the bejeesus out of opponent and lay blasts straight out the gate, give slow or ignore Hard to Wound and Armor! on triggers... the only thing they can't do is fight well in melee, because for the bargain price of 6 SS otherwise they would be COMPLETELY obnoxious. The model that always makes my opponents cringe their teeth and Twist and Turn in Torment.. and when I employ their services I usually bring two to double the torment inflicted ^_^ These guys wins games (so long as you can get out some traps).
2. Ama no Zako/Dawn Serpent - 9 SS she-oni henchman/10 SS elite minion that MAKE WONDERS. Forget about trouble running breakthrough, plant any-stuff, or bodyguard/make them suffer. They will fly with walk 6 through any terrain to where they are needed and survive. Even stronger when taken together to flank both sides of the field. As a bonus, if they encounter any enemy flankers, the latter will get eaten, quite literally. In fact, even beatsticks might be in trouble when Ama no Zako is hungry.
3. Sensei Yu - when you need it, how you need it, where you need it. The support henchman from the Wandering River Temple can actually do all the styles... and do them with style. You will most probably want him to take healing and condition removal or even MORE pushes + fast/slow. Albeit expensive, this is the Shenlong when you can't have Shenlong.
4. Yamaziko. Yes, the little old granny with the big glaive. She has a walk and defense of 4... and that's about all her deficiencies. A henchman-level model for only 7 SS, she is a great scheme runner and charger with Nimble, great engagement range, charge prevention/punishment, potential hand discard, solid if not so impressive damage track - with blasts!, not to mention she is a pain in the neck for everything willpower with her Stubbornness. Also the best mobile platform for Smoke and Shadows upgrade (Smoke Bombs and shadow-jumping ninjas, yay!) and Blot Out the Sky (finally the archers shine with all masters!). Just give her Smoke Grenades and score your VP while controlling the flow of combat.
5. The Illuminated -  forget about their interaction with Brilliance in the Lynch crew, this stuff just makes them bonkers. Still, they are absolutely solid for 7 SS with any other master. Fighting, tanking, scheme running? No problemo. They can do it all. Yet another flexible minion for 10T, and by now I'm starting to think the faction is OP... Beware the first turn curse though: The first one always dies to the Red Joker on the first turn. Always. Wait, that's just probably me...

Honorary mentions: Did I mention flexible? Well, we also have Katanaka Snipers, and Torakages, and Ten Thunders Bros for minions. Toshiro has quite a lot to work with now... and he can summon more. And when you need to hack stuff apart, you have the Lone Swordsman. Want more? Let's not forget there are SAMURAI with MINIfreakingGUNS. Oh, I love this faction.