Ettiquette for 'missed' flips

deftseeker

Question

Hi all,

I've just started playing Malifaux, and its starting to really gain momentum at my gaming club, which is great. Most of us play warmachine, where re-rolling dice for a missed interaction check is easy.

So my question is- what do we do if a flip has been missed, say a horror check when the melee action has already been flipped?

Obviously, the cards have been seen so do we work backwards to see which cards would have been for the horror flip or finish the action, then flip for horror and apply the result. Or ignore the horror as its passed?

And as a point of etiquette, who is responsible for checking interactions like this, the acting player, or the target models owner? Of course this is subjective, but I would be interested to hear peoples opinions about it.

Thanks   :D

7 answers to this question

With my friends/group, we just look at it based on how far from the "missed" flip we are.  for instance...

Player A attacks an Illuminated

Player A flips his attack card

Player B remembers the horror duel

Both players agree that single attack card will retroactively count as horror duel (or if it was a multi card flip, then whichever card would have been first is the card that counts).

If Player A fails the dual, all cards are discarded and play continues...

If the defender has flipped cards, we just move along and follow what Dracomax says.  If someone has cheated, then we definitely don't go back to correct it.

If I'm the one who missed a flip, I usually ask the opponent if they would rather I flip the extra cards now (just to burn them off the deck) or let it go. 

I find usually when stuff like this happens it's because one player is playing too fast and not giving the other player a chance to call out stuff like Horror or Hard 2 Wound before just rattling off their own modifiers and flipping cards.

Yeah that's the consensus with us. If the defender hasn't flipped we take the flip as the horror duel and proceed. If the defender has already flipped we take a horror duel as the very next flip (which would have been the damage if successful) and proceed as normal. It's a fun game and no need to be less than cordial about missed flips.

D.

depends on the opponent, if he's new to the game or at least new to the Crew I'll do the flip now or if possible to recreate the situation I do so. Against experienced opponents we tend to go the "you could have said something when it was relevant" way (bothways of course).