Final verdict on Yan Lo?

graeme27uk

It's also supposing you manage to get 3 severe's on izamu which means you have to have a pretty amazing hand to ensure you hit with enough difference to cheat and have the cards to cheat for it, frankly, not worth it in my eyes. Maybe for 1 chi at most to get spirit ascended ASAP

Trashing your whole hand of severe cards on your own model doesn't sound worth 3 chi to me either.

Its a good concept about the chi farming but something I can rarely see being used in an effective game; I'd be more concerned about getting yan near the centre line and dropping terracotta curse for that denial game he offers. Doubling this with some rotten belles to assist in luring the enemy into range of this melee focussed crew; I reckon that Yan could be a really annoying master to fight against (for some factions anyway).

I'm thinking you could lure enemies out of combat with yin to trigger her disengaging strikes in this way also?

I love Yan Lo and his standard crew. I have thought about using onroyo instead of ashigaru, but the ashigaru are just awesome.

Their charge is not that good but their special where you discard a card for a charge is awesome for 1 action. So you move, then discard and charge, throw some poison ontop of that and these guys are just sick. Set one up 3 inches behind to get the 4 damage if someone charges. There are tons of ways to use these guys, while yan sucks up the chi and drops markers. lot's of healing potential on this team, and flaming poison denial. Just gotta pay attention to activation order. Yin and Chiaki can frustrate the crap out of your opponent with having to test all the time, and pushing and moving. Plus flying and incorp are nice. This is my only crew, and i plan to pick up pandora or collodi next. But i gotta say, at times these guys seem almost unfair they are so good. The rez can be hard to pull off needing a book, but he's only a part time rezzer. :)

It is very card and resource heavy and will most likely require at least two face cards but I think it would be quite funny and the easiest way of getting Yan up and kicking on the first turn. Once you have the golden 3 chi then the rest can be used for buffing Yan or giving armour around.

• 4 months later...

Start the game and hit Izamu with three severs from Yan so he starts with 4 chi and then 0 and heal Izamu back up.

So hit Izamu with "Spirit Barrage"-->trigger revitalize then do "severs" (severe damage?)  3 times plus the discard chi for the 4?

I suppose you could also kill the Ashigaru for more chi because arent they unlimited rez?

-j

• 3 weeks later...

I've been playing him a lot, and I really believe Brutal Khakkhara is a trap. Ca 8 :melee, with a lower damage spread is much more reliable than the higher damage spread at Ml 5. I've just been playing him with Fortify Spirit, sometimes Reliquary (if I'm running enough ancestors to make it worth it), and misdirection if I want to make it difficult to kill him (if assassinate is on the docket).

Hell, last game I played with him I decided to take an off the wall list, and it worked very well.

Yan Lo

Chiaki

Soul Porter

Samurai with Jigoku

The Lone Swordsman

Guild Pathfinder

4x traps

Dawn Serpent

Turf War, took schemes Murder Protege, Deliver a Message.

I haven't tried it yet, but I believe illuminated would be really good with him, since they are pretty hardy, heal, and then Yan Lo can back up heal whoever needs it.

I see brutal Kharakura as needed if you expect to get path of bone, simply because that 2" Melee range lets you get more targets into the face punching holocaust. Also, there are other times when you need weak damage 3 to get the job done, even if the Ml is lower. But yeah, the Stick is his secondary weapon, not his primary.

Fortify Spirit is the upgrade that fails me whenever I use it. I just never manage to get any mileage out of it, best use so far was discarding it with the avatar to do a spirit bomb. Reliquaries I only really bother if I bring Izamu, the rest of the Ancestors just doesn't feel like the investment would be worth it since late game Yan Lo's AP are tip top quality and outside Izamu all the other Ancestors come with a number of wounds which makes them easy to be killed in one activation.

I only take the Brutal Khakkhara.  Izamu is pretty capable of keeping himself alive in most instances (the exception being going up against stuff that ignores armor).

Also, I hardly feel that the Chi mechanic is a tack on in anyway.  Knowing when to sit on it and spend it and for what effects can often make the difference between winning and losing the game.  My one hope for him is that his Avatar ends up with some way to spend the chi, as I always end up with far more than I ever need.

As far as Yin goes, put necrotic Preparation or Unnerving Aura on her.  Fly her next to a dude with low WP, then use her ranged attack to locked down other models.  She is capable of tying up 2-3 models consistently even if she never kills them.