Incorporeal + Vertical movement

Vioarr

Question

I played my first game of 2e with Tara, the other day, and we ran into an issue: does incorporeal ignore any movement penalties for moving vertically (climbing, etc.) or only for moving through terrain?

we ruled that it ignores all penalties and allows free movement as normal, but I want to make sure that I'm playing the rule correctly for the future

4 answers to this question

Vertical anything is kind of a weakness of the game. I believe you still have to pay the inches of movement to go up and down though. Unless it is climbable as you would ignore paying the extra movement to climb the terrain.

Here is another one for you. I have a Ht 2 guy standing next to a Ht 3 building. On top of the building is another model. Looking straight down, they are within each others engagement range. Are they engaged with each other?

Vertical anything is kind of a weakness of the game. I believe you still have to pay the inches of movement to go up and down though. Unless it is climbable as you would ignore paying the extra movement to climb the terrain.

Here is another one for you. I have a Ht 2 guy standing next to a Ht 3 building. On top of the building is another model. Looking straight down, they are within each others engagement range. Are they engaged with each other?

Assuming they would be base-to-base if the terrain wasn't there and if the model on the ground or the model on the building has a 1" melee range, then yes, they are engaged.

There's a callout box in the rulebook that says you add the difference in HT to the range measured for melee engagement for models on different HT terrain.

EDIT: Doh! Ausplosions and Trax have the correct answers below. I completely missed that the model on the ground would HT0 for measuring the difference, not the model's HT.

Edited by DocSchlock

That is easy because it is specifically covered in book.

To engage a model on terrain higher than you, you must be equal to or taller than the Ht of the terrain.

Basically you measure the horizontal distance between them, and then add the difference in elevation Ht. Model Height (Unless the lower model is equal to or taller than the building)is ignored, as is engagement range.

---------- Post added at 06:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:47 AM ----------

Thus you measure range as normal -- top down -- then add the difference in HT, so HT3 - HT 2 = 1.

Nope. It's the heights of the elevation the model is on, not the model's Ht.

The lower model is on Ht 0.

So it is Ht3-Ht0 = 3

Not engaged in your example.

Actually model engagement range is not completely ignored.

If model A stands on even ground, Ht0, and model B stands on Ht2 (both of them at the edge, horizontally in contact so to speak), they are engaged if either model has an Engagement range > than the Ht difference of their elevations, aka in this case >2.

Basically you measure the horizontal distance between them, and then add the difference in elevation Ht. Model Height (Unless the lower model is equal to or taller than the building)is ignored,[...]

This is mostly right - apart from the ending which I snipped (and it's not "equal to or taller", but simply "greater Ht"). If your engagement range is bigger than the sum of distances, vertical plus horizontal, you're engaged.

As for Fireuser's example, one of the guys would have to have an engagement range of 4 (Lilitu for instance), then we'd have an engagement. But the models' Hts don't factor in, indeed.