First assembly

daddy4count

It has been too dark to take pics after work, I'll try to get some posted this weekend if I have time.

I started assembly on my new Guilds Judgement box and the Victorias box. Victorias all went smoothly, mostly no assembly required with the old metals. The sword hands on Vicki #2 are going to give me fits, I can tell.

The Death Marshalls went together easily enough, but damn is it hard to get them attached to the caskets... I should pick up some plastic glue since the super glue is probably going to give out on me in a couple places.

Lady Justice is incredibly hard to get together... why, oh why did they model her sword in pieces..? I think I got her stance right, but that wasn't easy either.

So far I'm having a good time... going to be tough painting these though. I'm used to 28mm scale the way GW does it with 40k, and even some of thses are pushing the small envelope.

But the Malifaux minis are so detailed and tiny!

I love the sculpts... have to get them finished and filled, then primed and I'll get a pic thread started for painting.

I haven't got any Guild stuff mainly because I'm not interested, but I've had to pin other plastics. Also, consider getting some weights for the underside of the base to stop the models from falling over. I use lead fishing sinkers squashed down with a pair of pliers to provide a counterweight to the model's high centre of gravity.

GF9 has a kit that comes with some really nice drill bits and matching sized brass rod for around $15. When my bits break I just buy another one of these as it refills my rods as well as gives me backups of the other size bits too.

Also, I do suggest as well to find some weight for the bases. The 2 marshalls ON their caskets are top heavy.

right on, thanks

The Marshalls seem to be holding together okay for now... I won't be letting my kids play plastic army men games with these like I do my 40k models though, LOL.

Two of my Marshalls are just fine, balance wise... but the one sliding down on one foot is very top heavy. I plan on filling in the base with some putty to give it a tad more weight.

I should finish up the scales tonight... hopefully Vik #2 and Lady J too. They are the two giving me the hardest time. So tiny, so detailed. I'm having to use blue-tac to hold sword bits in place while the glue sets!

Low temps and humidity this time of year don't help, but many of the pieces have had to sit overnight before I could conitnue assembly due to the super glue taking forever to set.

I probably sound like I'm complaining, but I really dig these models. I can't wait to try out the game and buy some more.

I'm having to use blue-tac to hold sword bits in place while the glue sets!

Low temps and humidity this time of year don't help, but many of the pieces have had to sit overnight before I could conitnue assembly due to the super glue taking forever to set.

Get some superglue accelerant! It's amazing stuff - you spray it on the join when you've glued the pieces together and it sets instantly.

The washers is a great idea... I beat together three small, lead fishing weights and glued them to one side under the base... I'll cover and seal it in with putty when I fill in the other bases and add some basing sand to them...

Only a very few minor gaps to fill otherwise... like in sword Vik's wrists.

I've not tried the super glue accelerant before... typically it sets faster than I want it to. This time of year it's 30-some degrees and 20% humidity so it takes quite a while longer I'm finding.

Luckily the krylon primer I love typically does just fine at lower temps

I should be able to get them finished up and primed this weekend... then on to paint!

• 3 weeks later...
Get some superglue accelerant! It's amazing stuff - you spray it on the join when you've glued the pieces together and it sets instantly.

....but be very careful with accelerant. While just about everything has warning labels on them these days Zip Kickers actually do contain toxic and carcinogenic chemicals that will slowly cause damage to your body. Avoid breathing them in or getting them on your hands.

After seeing what is in these products, and working around these chemicals in an industrial setting, I have avoided accelerants in any form. I would rather wait the five minutes.

....but be very careful with accelerant. While just about everything has warning labels on them these days Zip Kickers actually do contain toxic and carcinogenic chemicals that will slowly cause damage to your body. Avoid breathing them in or getting them on your hands.

After seeing what is in these products, and working around these chemicals in an industrial setting, I have avoided accelerants in any form. I would rather wait the five minutes.

And NEVER get accelerant on your skin when there's some wet superglue also on your skin. That's a very bad combination.

It sounds like you're taking a much healthier approach RagingRodian. I'm just very impatient, particularly for fiddly tiny bits.

this is true, though to be fair the spray primers spout similarly dangerous chemicals into the air as well... we just take precautions.

Also, depending on which accelerant you use they can contain anything from acetone and toluene to hexane, naptha and ketones.

I work around industrial solvents as well... so I'm no stranger to the danger. :)

Hello. I'm also presently quite new to this game an presently also building the Guild Starter. Presently, I have a problem with the Scales of Justice. On one of the scales the change have been broken during the transport of the box. Had anyone the same problem? Might you have a hint how to repair it?

My first assembly was the Guild's Judgment crew box, too. Whoo boy, there are a couple tough models in there (probably doesn't help that I still have very little experience with modeling).

Pro tip if you're assembling Lady Justice: put the arms on first, the head last. I put the head on before the arms/sword, and had to pop it off because it was too far forward. In the process I also popped the scabbard off the torso and broke it in half, plus I bent the molded on gun in front. Think I got everything put back together well enough, and I strengthened the bent plastic with some super glue. :-$

Scales of Justice was a little tricky with his teeny tiny chains, and to finish the one Marshal landing on his boot I had to sit absolutely still for a couple minutes to get it to hold. They look great, though.

By the way, does anyone know where to find full size reference art? I know it's on the boxes, but I didn't know if there was any available online, so I could get my color scheme together.

Edited by Eyefink