Jacob Lynch

jace_89

I apologize for resurecting this topic, but I would like to ask if someone could explain me the best way of playing an illuminated. I've red some different point of view, and as I like them a lot ( model speaking), i really would like to play them.. especially the devoured one :)

I think that they're pretty straightforward in application.  Basically they're good at two things: hurting things and not dying.  So, unless they are needed to do something specific, my default plan is to ram them into something that won't be able to kill them without a large commitment of additional resources.  In the ideal scenario, the Illuminated will live long enough to get round to its own activation again and heal 1 to 4 wounds back between Regenerate and Brillshaper.  If something big is commited to take the Illuminated down, then you've controlled the moves your friend has made, and can then send in something nasty (Kang, Ototo, Hungering Darkness, your master, whatever) to clean up.  In this case, any wounds that the Illuminated can put out are a bonus but with Ml6 and a decent damage spread they can harm a lot of pieces in their price range.

The other obvious big play is Lure in an activated model with a Beckoner, make it Brilliant with Despicable Promises and send in the Illuminated until there's nothing left.  Weak damage of 4 will stack up very quickly if you need to kill something to win.

Occasionally an unwary foe will Black Joker a horror duel or be unable to cheat it at the end of a round but this is not something to be relied upon.

I must admit that I rarely use the ranged attack, though there are certainly times where it's handy to have.

• Like 1

I strongly recommend using two Beckoners in a full sized game. They can drag your crew forward on the first turn, and pull all sorts of poor saps into the slavering jaws of your Illuminated and Huggy on the subsequent turns. Not to mention the easy Brilliance....

Pretty much summed it up right there. Brilliance is this crews bread a butter. The more models that can dish it out, the easier it will be for your crew to deal damage, control the board etc.. With an 18 inch range on lure (with auto suits and a free push!) an above average casting, getting that early game board control is crucial. Not just for getting huggy stuck in, but denying your opponent opportunities to place scheme markers, chain activations etc.. I always take two Beckoners in a 50SS game 

Yes, Lynch can take either (but not both) of his Limited upgrades but they're really both to do with the Hungering Darkness. I suppose they're both on him to stop you effectively taking both by having one on him and the other on Hungering Darkness, or perhaps it's a fluff thing about Hungering Darkness being the one in charge.

I've had completely the opposite approach to Sharp_GT with the Soulstone cache, generally taking a cache of only 2. Going from there to the full cache of 7 is cheating you out of a Rail Worker or other minion who could be scoring you VPs. Hungering Darkness punches above its (0SS) weight and takes a good number of attacks to drop so I don't find that it's usually necessary to spend many soulstones on damage prevention, and Lynch can stay safely back behind a wall of Illuminated etc so it isn't easy to force him into using his soulstones. Nothing really needs a suit dropped in. Over 4 games in the Scottish GT (see here if you're interested) I think I used about 5SS in total with Lynch.

The choice of one or two Beckoners is really interesting. I generally find that one is enough to do the jobs I need and that a second just doesn't provide enough extra to justify the inclusion over the other options. But on the other hand, I don't generally invest much in putting Brilliance on things so perhaps if you're really focused on that aspect of the crew they'd be much more appealing.

I guess it depends on your playstyle. Personally, because I run the Rising Sun on Jakob Lynch I like to have as much brilliance out there as possible. More brilliance = more chances for huggy to come back if he's dropped...

Passing round Brilliance isn't all that Lynch can do, and even when you do I regard it as just a bonus. For example, if you can land both hits with an Illuminated against a Brilliant target you do 4 extra damage. Obviously that's great, but it costs you the activation of the Beckoner or whatever else you were using to do it. In the case of the Beckoner there is also the opportunity cost of not using Lure, which is a fantastic ability. You then need to deal with an activation from the other crew which could disable the Illuminated, move the target out of range or whatever. So rather than focus on putting out Brilliance and then specifically capitalising on it with the rest of my crew, I just let it go on when and where it will and enjoy that it sometimes super-charges the crew. Also it's worth noting that in many cases just doing lots of damage won't get you any VP so you need to consider what else you could have done with your activations like dropping scheme markers or moving.

On the other hand, you could be right and I could be missing out on the best that Lynch has to offer.

I also usually take a couple of illuminated as more counter attacking pieces. The flay trigger is amazing and provided your attacking a brilliant model the damage spread is pretty nuts (Like the 1.5 Seamus flintlock. Ouch!) But you're right, killing stuff will help but ultimatley may not win you an objective based game. As I have said, playstyles vary so it's just a question of finding a combination that you enjoy and is effective.

Cheers,

Pip.

• Like 1

You could also use Lynch as a great card-engine with

• Hanna +1 Hand Size
  • Tannen Force opponents to discard to cheat
  • Expert Cheater, allows bluffing
  • Woke Up With a Hand
  • Stitched Together, A Game of Chance

Basically it will allow you to have a ridiculous card advantage, giving you big cheating power while ripping cards out of your opponent's hand.

To add to the 'card shark' theme a VERY strong but unexpected choice is Sensei Yu from wave 2

His Disciple allows you to take a leader's 0 action, which allows you to use Lynch's Mulligan a SECOND time. Positively nuts.

Along these lines, what if you you use Jakob's (0) Pay Up to go sifting for masks?  Depending on how much brilliance is on the board, you might be able to cherry pick a good number of cards without losing high cards from other suits (because they get shuffled back in).  Then you finish Lynch's turn with Final Debt.... and call it a game....

That spurs another question:  If you flip the Red Joker while doing the Pay Up ability, do you get to choose Masks as its suit and keep it?....

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi all I've been using lynch rather effectively against my friend at the moment, we are only doing 35ss as we are learning the crew but he is having a lot of difficulty with "Woke up with a Debt" . The attack is nuts. For 2SS I'm easily doing 10+ damage. Is it really too could too be true or have I missed something. I should be able to do it 3 times in a turn and with two beckoners, Huggy, and 2 Illuminated Brilliance is everywhere. It's almost as if the card should read after doing this attack discard the hand as it's that powerful. I don't want it to be cuddled as I love it, that and I plan on adding a Malifaux child for 3SS that's 5 potential casts. Here is my friends post if you could give any ideas as to how he can limit/negate the attack it would help his hobby and help me see what to look out for in a competitive situation where so done wants to shut this down.

http://wyrd-games.net/community/topic/101296-woke-up-with-a-debt-killing-my-hobby/

Thanks

I plan on adding a Malifaux child for 3SS that's 5 potential casts.

You would change Huggy for a Child? I would never make that switch for 2 more potential casts. 

Also I went ahead and posted something on your friends thread. It's really fair of you to ask help for your friend against yourself, amazing sportsmanship on your part :)

Thanks guys. We play for fun and I don't take any pleasure if I wipe the floor with people. Sadly last nights game it was one of those times. We both learnt some lessons from it so fingers crossed he can counter me better next time and we can both have a fun time.

Is the child a totem then, I didn't read his whole card just briefly scanned his rules.

Thanks again for the tips you sent his way, I will try and keep them on board too ;)