Freikorps Armour, Pulses and the Burning Condition.

Pip

Question

Hi everyone,

Today I had a game using the Freikorps against a Kaeris crew. Kaeris' I think has a spell, which is a pulse that gives the burning condition.

Since the burning condition is an effect does that mean the freikorps armour ignores the damage since it was generated by a pulse?

My oppoenent and I were a little confused by how these rules would interact.

Cheers,

Pip.

8 answers to this question

I believe it would work as follows.

The armor makes them immune to damage, so if the ability caused a condition after damaging they would not gain the condition. If the ability just gives the condition, the armor does not stop the condition from being gained. The condition does not remember how it was applied though. Therefore, it would take the damage at the end of the turn as normal.

Hope this is correct and helpful.

I believe it would work as follows.

The armor makes them immune to damage, so if the ability caused a condition after damaging they would not gain the condition. If the ability just gives the condition, the armor does not stop the condition from being gained. The condition does not remember how it was applied though. Therefore, it would take the damage at the end of the turn as normal.

Hope this is correct and helpful.

Um....

I think so... It does not stop the condition from being gained this is true. However the condition is allowed by the pulse which is the way the burning condition is applied thus causing the damage. Since the burning is an effect that causes damage the pulse is crucial..

Cheers,

Pip.

Freikorps Suit specifically

...ignore damage from :pulse and :blast effects.

The Freikorps Suit wouldn't ignore her Flare Tactical Action as it isn't causing damage but imparting a condition (which it doesn't ignore). Additionally, the damage generated by Kaeris' Accelerant Tactical Action is not tied to the :pulse either but the presence of the Burning Condition on a model. As such the Freikorps Suit does not allow the damage to be ignored (since it only ignores damage from :pulses and :blasts neither of which is what the damage caused by the Burning condition is).

The Burning Condition on a model is what is causing damage not the method that places it there.

Edited by Omenbringer
Poor initial formating.

I agree that the FK armor does not stop the Flare pulse, as it causes a condition, not damage. And the damage from the burning condition is not stopped by the armor.

However I do think that The damage caused by accelerant is stopped by the armor. Accelerant inflicts damage on models with the burning condition. Nowhere does it say the damage is caused by the burning condition.

(1) Accelerant (Ca 7t / TN: 14t / Rg: p10): All models in range with the Burning Condition must suffer 2 damage or gain the Paralyzed Condition.

If the pulse gives burning, then the friekorps model has the burnign condition. At the end of the turn when the burnign condition is resolved, the damage comes from a condition, not from a pulse (even though the condition was from a pulse), so the model suffers the damage.

If (as is the current beta rules) the pulse does damage if the model has the burning condition, then it is not the condition that is doing damage but the pulse.

Basically, you don't need to track how the condition was put onto a model. Burning given from a pulse will look exactly like any other burning at the upkeep step when the Burning condition is resolved. If the damage happens straigth away, its from the pulse, if it happens at some later time, its not from the pulse, and the Friekorps armour doesn't protect.

(although always look at how the damage is dealt, Sonnia has Inferno that gives her a condition, that when it goes away it does a pulse of damage, so the friekorps will protect from that)

(1) Accelerant (Ca 7t / TN: 14t / Rg: p10): All models in range with the Burning Condition must suffer 2 damage or gain the Paralyzed Condition.

If you believe the suit would stop the damage, as effectively it is being done by a 'conditional' pulse (which I do think is a plausible reading of the rules) then would the freicorps be paralyzed instead because it didn't/couldn't suffer damage?

Freikorps Suit specifically

The Freikorps Suit wouldn't ignore her Flare Tactical Action as it isn't causing damage but imparting a condition (which it doesn't ignore). Additionally, the damage generated by Kaeris' Accelerant Tactical Action is not tied to the :pulse either but the presence of the Burning Condition on a model. As such the Freikorps Suit does not allow the damage to be ignored (since it only ignores damage from :pulses and :blasts neither of which is what the damage caused by the Burning condition is).

The Burning Condition on a model is what is causing damage not the method that places it there.

Coolies!

If the pulse gives burning, then the friekorps model has the burnign condition. At the end of the turn when the burnign condition is resolved, the damage comes from a condition, not from a pulse (even though the condition was from a pulse), so the model suffers the damage.

If (as is the current beta rules) the pulse does damage if the model has the burning condition, then it is not the condition that is doing damage but the pulse.

Basically, you don't need to track how the condition was put onto a model. Burning given from a pulse will look exactly like any other burning at the upkeep step when the Burning condition is resolved. If the damage happens straigth away, its from the pulse, if it happens at some later time, its not from the pulse, and the Friekorps armour doesn't protect.

(although always look at how the damage is dealt, Sonnia has Inferno that gives her a condition, that when it goes away it does a pulse of damage, so the friekorps will protect from that)

Thanks for the clarification there mate. Good work!

If you believe the suit would stop the damage, as effectively it is being done by a 'conditional' pulse (which I do think is a plausible reading of the rules) then would the freicorps be paralyzed instead because it didn't/couldn't suffer damage?

It's Must. So yes.

Eeeep!!!

Cheers,

Pip.