Has anyone figured out how to play Kirai?

dreads

Its worth pointing out that she is in Beta at the moment, so even if you get given a set of tactics, they may not work tomorrow.

That being said, I've found playing against her that she is very good at using into the spirit world, swirling spirit and summoning to be able to grab schemes almost anywhere on the table.

Use Datsu ba and Ikaryu to move as much as your crew that way as you can, then use a couple of fast spirits to walk even futher that way. Into the Spirit world will move Kirai to one of those, and then she can use her summoning and swirl spirit to get unactiavted models quite a way up field ready to interact.

And jusy for the record there shouldn't be a best way to play her and a best crew, it should matter who you face and what your mission and schemes are.

• 2 months later...

So now that the final cards are out, can anyone share their experiences with Kirai?

I'm going to be playing my first game with her (and my first game of M2E, probably a 40SS game) on the weekend, and looking through her cards I am a little worried about having enough living or undead models to summon the Ikiryo off when playing the "thematic" crew (which are the only minis I currently have). So is Kirai, Datsue Ba and a Shikome enough to reliably have the Ikiryo out? Or should I proxy in something else?

Also, what upgrades are useful? At the moment I am thinking Unforgiven on Kirai and Spirit Beacon and Spirit Whispers on Datsue Ba. Swirling Aether looks good, but how often is Kirai going to want to give up making a Seishin to take advantage of Into the Spirit World?

Finaly, a quick rules question. Is it ok to have Blood and Wind cause more damage to the target model than it has wounds remaining? I am guessing yes, and that the most common way to use this ability is to target a Sheishin, that then dies from the damage.

Thanks for the help.

You are a combat summoner. You want to drown your opponents in bodies but still be close enough to shoot into combat. Mass gaki is a legit and effective strategy unless you get reckoning as your strat. Depending on what you are up against, mix in some canine remains (for debuffs and mobility) and guild autopsies/onryos. 

Yes its ok to have blood and wind do that. 

The value of Swirling Aether depends a lot on which schemes/strats you get in general though you should ALWAYS make a seishin and trade up to something else every turn. You need to keep your body count high while you grind your opponent into dust and/or jam their ability to interact.

IF YOU FLIP RECKONING

You will want beefy models. In which case all your in theme spirits are out. You will want hanged (which will hang back with kirai to absorb wounds and be a nuisance), Izamu or any number of big beefy models that can heal themselves. At this point you will want to exploit Kirai's ability to shoot into combat without randomization. You still want to summon gaki but you have to be smart about it so as to not give away free vp.  

My list for kirai which is working well in 50 ss games.

Kirai with absorb spirit and unforgiven

Datsue ba with spirit whispers

Lost love

2 x shikome

Izamu

Now I play kirai as a positioner and support master, I find her best summon is an onyro. Cheap gets things when damaged and dies, can ignore armour and can apply poison.. Datsue ba primary job is to summon seishin and apply adversary or move my models around.

Izamu gets teleported into combat while one shikome and run objectives.

So far it's working out well for me. Hope this helps

• Like 1