The Role Playing Game

YogShubb

Hello,

I just found out about the RPG over the weekend. I was wondering if there was any update as to when it will be available to the public or any general information anyone can share. I'm very late to the game but I am very interested in it.

Thanks

PS If there is a better place for this thread please move it there I wasn't sure where to post it.

Heh, this was just asked in "Miniature Matters" as well.

Might as well include it here too.

Through the Breach had a tentative release to Backers target of September, though Wyrd expressed optimism about getting it to Backers in August, when the Gencon Canon Campaign would be happening (and thus, presumably the project was pretty far along).

The canon campaign happened (and sounds like they had a blast), but they announced in early August that they wouldn't make an August release, and wouldn't make September in early September. Last I heard they were hard at work, and would let us know as soon as they had a firm date, but nothing since has been said on the topic.

Given that whomever they get their books from reportedly knocked off 5k books in around 2 weeks for M2E, the turn around for the backer books shouldn't be much longer (barring extenuating circumstances), but it does rule out Oct entirely, and makes November look a bit unlikely. There have been updates for the player's book regularly, but the Fate Master's Guide apparently remains under NDA and closed Beta, so it's hard to say even with an eye on 'the sausage being made' how far along or not the process is (as an outsider, of course).

So basically "?".

Yeah - playtesting is ongoing. Another iteration of the rules was just released to backers, so obviously rules aren't yet finalized. I assume that by now, all the extras are finished (we've seen the dolls and the special edition miniature), so once the rules are finalized, it should be pretty quick to get proofs checked over and move onto actual printing.

whats a few more months.

The difference between a "sorry this is a bit late for a Christmas present" card and "IOU: Some Through the Breach Stuff, Due: ?".

Later certainly seems more likely than sooner at the moment, but until they rule them out I remain hopeful for a December release as well. Both for that reason, and because being 2-3 months late wouldn't be terribly out of place, sad state of affairs that KS campaign release dates are.

Once we start talking 4-6+, however, personally I start getting the feeling that there's either shenanigans in the background or they've bitten off way more than they could chew. I've become a strong advocate for campaigns being honest and professional about their release dates, and the community practically coming to expect a half year delay on any sizable project speaks poorly of both the average creator's ability to judge such things (especially when they're already established in the fields they're running a campaign on) and the community's willingness to be practically flat out lied to. It does neither end anything but a disservice to let campaigns just play fast and loose with the system.

Edit: yes, yes, delays happen, unforseen snags, contingency plans that fail, etc. Personally I'd rather campaigns pad their target a little (example, how Reaper Bones 2 is doing so right now) and deliver early than have to delay for months and months because they told backers what they wanted to hear, rather than a realistic roadmap to completion.

But of course, that's purely an aside on the nature of the system itself. We're only a few weeks late as it is, and surely Wyrd isn't so far behind that "hopefully in October" will drift 30-50% overdue. :-D

Edited by Forar

The playtest groups saying "this isnt ready, it needs more time: look at all these weird interactions"

Then wyrd going "ah youre right, lets do more work on this". And every few weeks we see changes in the playtest documents.

Though I agree with a lot of this, having the lead developer assist with the Malifaux 2nd Edition roll out didn't help the time line either. I dont think that splitting Macks attention between M2E and Through the Breach was planned when the Kickstarter was announced or even after it closed.

Hopefully once that brand can be taken out of the fire for a bit, Wyrd can again focus on some of the other projects that they have in development or languishing for attention. Though I am glad to see Through the Breach moving along I would love to see some more attention given to some of the other product lines (Puppetwars and Terraclips chief amongst them).

Just chiming in to say that the RPG is freakin' amazing and you should 100% buy it. My playgroup and I are having a complete and total blast and our Gamemaster agreed to let me be a werewolf. We followed their amazing Pursuit system to develop the perks of a wolf.

It's unique and a whole lot of fun, we believe it was well worth the 200$ paid and are looking forward to continued support and expansion.

The playtest groups saying "this isnt ready, it needs more time: look at all these weird interactions"

Then wyrd going "ah youre right, lets do more work on this". And every few weeks we see changes in the playtest documents.

Having been involved with trying to patch up Sedition Wars to be (finally) playable, gotta' say, I'd prefer it was a whole year late and had really good rules than a few months late and waves of errata.