Finally finished my initial buy in and...

Gyouza

As the title says I finished painting all my initial buy in miniatures (new Seamus crew, Tara crew, 3 extra belles and 3 death marshals) it took me awhile but I did finish. Though Miss Step is still in her box because well I didn't get instructions and haven't braved that one yet.

Anyways I have them sitting nicely up on a shelf. But I need to find a good method for transporting around. Preferably on the cheaper side. I looked at the Battle Foam Malifaux bag while at Gen Con but I was unsure of how well that would accommodate the Nothing Beast. I would like to keep them safe even though I am far from the best painter.

P.S. Any tips for sprays/coatings to better preserve them from chipping? It has been awhile since I've been seriously painting and playing with miniatures.

Thanks in advance.

For travel I would suggest getting a plain metal toolbox and just magnetizing the bases of your minis. This is probably the easiest way to accommodate the odd shapes. It will also prevent the foam from slowly rubbing off your paint jobs.

As for sealing your models I would recommend a two step approach. The first coating (well two actually) I recommend is Krylon Crystal Clear Satin or Gloss finish. This will provide a solid durable layer to protect your paint jobs from chipping. To kill the shine follow that up with 2 coats of Testor's Dull Coat. This will allow your work to show with out compromising durability.

PS Hopefully you also performed two of the best methods of preventing chipping before you applied paints (washing and priming).

Edited by Omenbringer

Yes I did remember to wash and prime. Not been out of minis gaming that long.... well like 10 years or so. Thanks I will take a look into the magnetizing and a tool box as that does sound like a pretty decent idea. Will have to go by a hardware store I think and find somewhere with small enough magnets.

Look for Rare Earth Magnets as those will provide the best stick (especially if you have large metal models). You can often find them in Model airplane stores.

Oh and one last tip for you. If you happen to find a spot that wears really quickly or is prone to chipping then apply a bit of thinned PVA glue over the area once it has been repaired.

KR Multicase do pretty good malifaux cases - normal figure foam in half the case and modular foam for large weird things in the other half. The foam's really soft, so it's unlikely to damage the paint (or at least, mine hasn't yet).

They're pretty cheap (£20ish, IIRC), and well worth it. I've got a big one and a small one and I love them. Not sure if the Nothing Beast'll fit though, I haven't got one to try it with.

Well I checked out some local hardware stores and the cheapest metal toolbox was around $60. Guess I will be looking around a bit more and trying to see if anyone knows whether the nothing beast will fit in a KR case.

Thanks guys

Well I checked out some local hardware stores and the cheapest metal toolbox was around $60. Guess I will be looking around a bit more and trying to see if anyone knows whether the nothing beast will fit in a KR case.

Thanks guys

Have you looked at Harbor Freight? I seem to remember them having suitable ones for a fairly low price.

Well I impromptu ended up there today they had 2 options which looked like they might work but I think I need to measure things to make sure for the nothing beast.

Edit: Any suggestions on magnet sizes? All of my minis are the new plastics and it looks like for at least the regular sized guys that there is a nice convenient hole for one but I don't know the depth or anything(a tape measure is escaping me at the moment).

Thinking tomorrow I will check out Micheals for some sprays to seal since I think they are the most likely to have Krylon and Testors

Edited by Gyouza

• 5 weeks later...

Not sure anyone still cares or not but I found some info on a magnetic board and a tupperware container i decided to try out.

Total cost so far is ~$60 and covers almost all of my miniatures for any game. It holds really well and the miniatures survived a 1 hr trip twice with absolutely no issues so I am happy. Just need to get some metal on my remaining minis.

Board with my Malifaux and Skaven Army showing off how well the magnet holds the steel base bottoms I got. Everyone but the Nothing Beast stays well to at least 90 degrees(I did not push it any further. Need to go in with a dremel tool and cut some wood away on the bottom to add a slot for rule books(thought about this after I built it in a duh moment.

If I build a second board I will try harder to make it look nicer, I am not fantastic at this kind of stuff.

post-15031-13911931582168_thumb.jpg