Couple Basing Questions

edonil

So, I have a few questions about basing that I'm hoping someone can help me figure out. First off, I'm hoping to do mist/fog on the base, using cotton fibers. Anyone got any advice on how to do so? Or have any other ideas on how to pull it off?

Secondly, I'm currently working on doing some bases that have bricks on them. I found a color that I really like for the bricks, but right now, they're too...new. I want to weather them a bit, but I'm not sure how to go about doing it...anyone got any advice?

For the "weather" effect you could very simply use a combination of different shades/washes. If you just want that brown old effect, I would suggest "Agrax Earthshade" for the dark creases and "Seraphim Sepia" for the high spots.

If you want the effect of mold and just generally even worse kept stones, you can use a bit "Athonian Camoshade". I personally spread those kind of green tint around the darker creases you get from "Agrax Earthshade". All of these are Citadel shades btw :)

- be careful of overdoing it though :)

So, I have a few questions about basing that I'm hoping someone can help me figure out. First off, I'm hoping to do mist/fog on the base, using cotton fibers. Anyone got any advice on how to do so? Or have any other ideas on how to pull it off?

Secondly, I'm currently working on doing some bases that have bricks on them. I found a color that I really like for the bricks, but right now, they're too...new. I want to weather them a bit, but I'm not sure how to go about doing it...anyone got any advice?

As far as the bricks, you might want to "tumble" them in addition to washes, or otherwise nick them up to not look so perfectly crisped and square.

As far as the fog, you can use pulled cotton or poly (like the stuff they sell near Halloween to make spider web decor), but the stuff does not stand up to handling, transport, etc. It must be pulled until "wispy," or it will just look like bad snow, also helps to have it a bit off the ground supported by pins and/or the model. If its a display piece, the handling should not be much of an issue, but you my want to car the figure, as that stuff is a dust magnet.

I've recently been watching Hugo's videos over at ichiban painting on youtube and he has a fairly large number of good videos on weathering techniques (mostly in his early videos from about a year ago). A small number are airbrush centric, but there are also more traditional brushing techniques as well. He does seem to like using dry pigments though, which requires a bit more prep/care than just plain old acrylic brush painting.

I particularly like the way he breaks down the kind of weathering that would naturally occur (presumably from his scale model background).

Here's a link: http://www.youtube.com/user/ichibanpainting/videos

Edited by rover1013